Home Community General Football Week 12: Meat & Potatoes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 450 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

So, now the mid-week nonsense with snails and fancy sausages is done with, we turn to the reguler Pommie diet of boiled meat and potatoes with custard.

A couple of very intriguing match-ups this weekend, depending on where you’re sitting, with a London Derby, a mouthwatering Saturday Supper match and extra gravy with your Sunday roast!!

Franks Young Boys and my Spuds should have 3 points in the bank by Monday, Foxy Ladies and the Goonies is a tough one to call but with the form those Ladies are in and the Goonies confusion when they go past the M25, I think I’m not being sarcastic when you have to fancy the Ladies for that one, a draw up at Old Trafford, the Seagulls are flying high and just flip a coin for the Sunday Roast… but for the neutrals who care (see what I did there puppy? πŸ™‚ ), I would think they would be hoping for a Moneybags win…

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      steveosnakeeye
      Participant

yep im very worried about the Leicester game, with how we defend they could do better than they did against Southampton!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

Predictions : I wouldn’t give Arsenal a snowballs chance in hell. Leicester may only be 6 points ahead but the gulf in quality right now is huge. I think Leicester might even batter them. Sorry Steveo.

I can see Sheffield Utd beating Spurs also but by 1.

I think if it were possible, both Norwich and Watford would lose that game. Maybe we’ll see Pukki and co actually do something productive again. I wouldn’t bet anything on that though.

West Ham are such a disappointment so often but I think maybe, just maybe they might nick that. In the other games, win for Chelsea, Bournemouth, Everton, Man Utd, Wolves.

As for our own. it’s hard to call. Will Pep nullify and exploit the flanks? Will Klopp even start trent? I hope so. I think the bookies have City as favourites but I think if we come at them with purpose, we’ll outscore and beat them. Would I take a draw before the match? No. I’m sure some would but not me.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          sean the sailor
          Participant

City and Liverpool
            Game is to hard to call. I think it might be a draw and both coaches might play conservatively like last year at anfield

Lovren worries me. Huge game already

Anfield will be rocking

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Oh man, just realised traffic is going to be super chocca with the game kicking off 5:30. I’m at work!??

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Sean, often when so much hinges on a game it ends up as a draw which realistically would suit both Club’s.

Liverpool slight favourites according to the odds on SkyBet.

13/8 Liverpool win 13/5 draw 6/4 City win

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chelsea.man
                Participant

Baring any catastrophic turn of events. i can only see a Liverpool win there. City are disorganised at the minute, and Klopp knows that. they have lost Ederson to injury last night. the best CB is also out. and you would think Pep would sit there do a damage limitation? no! he is not that kind of a coach. he will go for the win. which will play in to the hands of Liverpool with those lethal front trio they have. I think Liverpool will win, but will not keep a clean sheet it will be a high scoring game. but my money is on Liverpool to win.

Meanwhile, facing Palace is always very tough. they always raise their game when they face us. and this time they have our former Captain at the heart of their defence. Kante’s return will be a bonus. also i would give Reece James a start and rest Azpi. Emerson returns. not sure with Mount if he misses, Hudson Odoi will be drafted in and Pulisic could move in to the no 10 or even Willian can play there.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

CM, Ederson is 50/50 for Sunday like Sean I think he may well play.

Agree with you on Reece James coming in but I can see Azpi moving to left back.

If Mount isn’t fit think you’re right Hudson Odoi will come in and Pulisic will move back into midfield to replace him. Kante likely to start in place of Jorginho.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Sean, I respect your opinion and have for years. I share your concerns about Lovren. I however think we’re gonna go at City like we’re trying to put out a fire. I think Pep will try and get in behind our fullbacks. It could be a complete shitshow in terms of scoreline. The point I was making in a previous post was that neither team are in a good way right now. Forget ,our unbeaten record, that belies the truth that we’re just not firing on on cylinders and neither are City.

Out of both sides though, I think we’re the ones who have more potential to put in a top shift, right now. I’d be WAY WAY more confident about this had Gomez been playing well. Then we’d essentially have a full strength defence, whilst City pillage their midfield to cover the gaps in defence. We’re just not great defensively either though and Pep ,knows how to exploit it.

I am thinking we will win this but it could go either way and as I’ve said before, it could go heavily against either side but we’re at Anfield. The crowd will be singing “Champions of Europe”. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those games that actually will be a cracker and doesnt fall flat like the previous tactical draw.

I cant wait though. I just couldnt get excited watching the Genk game, even if I wanted to.. this means everything to both teams though. We’ll get to see who can take the heat. I have to say though, I am a little tired of Sky/BT saying that if Liverpool win then the title is essentially over. If we win, we’ve a great cushion and 1 less oppotunity for City to directly take points off us but come on.. 9 points before the half way line is worth piss all. It’s a buffer and although I’d loooove it, you wouldnt catch me dead thinking it was done and dusted,

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

“Mount was considered a doubt for Chelsea’s next match against Palace at Stamford Bridge this Saturday but the midfielder has provided Frank Lampard with a boost as he trained on Thursday. Mount injured his right ankle in the 4-4 draw with Ajax on Tuesday (EPA) He will now undergo a fitness test on Friday to determine whether he will be available for the clash at home to Roy Hodgson’s side.” Metro 7/11

Potentially good news. Here’s hoping.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

I don’t think the game at the Etihad last season can be underestimated in the swing it had on the title race. Up until that point City were 7 points behind and had lost 3 of their last 5 league games. It meant that City had to go for it, and Liverpool didn’t. And it set City up on their title charge.

But in this game because Liverpool are at home and City need to catch up, then I think *both* sides will go for it. I would expect a high scoring game, maybe a 3-2 type game. It’ll be a fascinating watch and ultimately tell us where City are and whether talk of them losing their edge is justified.

Let’s just hope any VAR shenanigans stay out it…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

Mikus, I think talk of City losing their edge is pretty justified already. You can’t lose key players like Laporte, who is kinda like losing 2 people because then their epic DM pushes back and fills a gap, leaving another ahead of him. That would hurt any team.

the discussion needs to encompass Liverpool and whether we’ve lost our edge too though. We’re not more adventurous than we were last season, yet we’re defensively insecure. We seem to give teams chances that I feel we wouldn’t have, last season.

This match is to give us an indication of where both teams are and which one currently wants it more. No matter what Sky might say, that’s as far as that goes but I’ve rarely looked forward to a game as much and this is in a time when I feel my interest in football is not what it once was. I still love it but if we had this back in 05 instead of Rafa winning the CL, I’d have to be admitted to hospital. We’re an amazing side. City are an amazing side. We’re 2 of the best that the PL has ever seen.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Oz
                            Participant

I think Pep will go at us as he knows their D is a bit shaky so attack is the best form of D. This means our D will have to be on song as their attack is freaky good but like Sean I worry about Lovern. I think they’ll nick it, we have been going on but not solid enough to hold out their attack & with our top 3 still not firing on all cylinders I think they’ll nick a close one 1-2.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Oz
                              Participant

I like reading the echo as I get some good info from them but by god I wish they’d stop with these stories on where Liverpool have an advantage over city. They have the biggest advantage in their squad depth which pretty much nullifies all these little “advantages” Liverpool may or may not have.
                                Whatever way the game goes I hope VAR doesn’t play a deciding role in the outcome.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Hightown hope

Oz saying City will nick it…surely not!!??

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

He’s got a point Oz. Mate why do you constantly say you think we’ll lose? GHranted this is a super tough one but you do know that you’re usually wrong when you predict a loss? Granted if you look back at the title runs, i’ve predicted we’d win them and been wrong every single time. I know you’re not a fan of the non-counterpressing Liverpool but have some faith man.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Oz
                                    Participant

Mak: manu & city are the main 2 games I wasn’t confident in. Most of the others I’ve said I’d be disappointed if we didn’t win (maybe Leicester but I can’t remember). I think if they go at us they won’t miss the chances other teams have missed. Our D isn’t as solid as last season & our top 3 are stuttering a bit. city are probably the only team I think will beat us at Anfield. I’d be surprised if we lost another home game. It’s great your optimistic and I hope your right and we dust them up. I predicted we’d win the SG slip year and was wrong as well, who cares, it’s a forum where we have different views. I don’t take it as seriously as you and others so chill out old mate. I’ve said many times depth is why I predict city to win the EPL & I’m more confident in the cups as Anfield is such a massive advantage & literally nothing is off the table when we play there in the cups.
                                      Talk soon, take care all.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Oz
                                      Participant

Mak you’ll be pleased to know I won’t be posting for over a month after this week so I’ll bombard you with negative stuff before I go so you don’t miss out :>)) I’m heading over to the US of A for a month on the west coast & I won’t even see results most of the time. Hopefully we’ll be further ahead when I get back & you can lecture me about how wrong I am.

Take care mate.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

Im not sure how to respond to that. I was only referencing you constantly saying we’ll lose, every single big match…. I did it in as light a way as I could and get this?

Its all drama and escalation here lately. You cant say a thing without someone really running with it.

Oz, if you want to think I never want to read your opinions then think that. Im ok with it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          threeps
                                          Participant

Our defence is not as good as last season, our attack is sturrering, we’ve not clicked and everyone knows our midfield is championship at best. These are the things I’ve been reading on here and other websites yet there we sit comfortably at the top of the table.

I pity the rest of the league when we do finally start to find form! ?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 450 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Week 12: Meat & Potatoes’ is closed to new replies.