Home Community Liverpool Watford Game

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Editor
    Keymaster

If ever a single performance could sum up Liverpool under Klopp, that was it. At times, devastating going forward. At times, a shambles at the back. I’ll be watching with intrigue the last few weeks of the window for Liverpool. It looks like Klopp and the board might have a bit of work to do to get this squad ready.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

Above all, the defensive unit hasn’t been addressed in the way it should (in my view):

1) New first class keeper

2) Centre half

3) Left-back

We had brought in somebody from Huddersfield, but what have we been doing in the past 6 weeks? Everything (eggs in one basket phrase) aimed just towards VVD? What have the Scouts and whoever does the buying have been doing?

The goals we shipped in you’d expect that from a lower league outfit. The problem is that we lack leaders, proper oral communication/somebody vocal, and organisation. If this isn’t happening, then effectively, we’ll be in no man’s land when it comes to dealing with set-pieces. It’s very much a free pass for opposing teams.

Playing as a ‘patch up’ team will not win us many matches, and subsequently, competitions and trophies.

Not something that you can brush off lightly, any longer.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

P.S.

Little Couts should be free to leave. I have no issue with him because the fella’s head has been turned and Barcelona effectively is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Anything above 100m, and we’ve done astronomically well considering he was purchased to my knowledge in the region of 10m from Rodgers.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Zk2007
          Participant

Coutinho needs to go asap don’t need players who are not fully committed around the team

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Our conceding of goals from set plays is nothing to do with the players we have. It’s how the manager organises us for set pieces. It’s half zonal and half man marking and it doesn’t work. I know who okaka is so I’m sure klopp knows he’s a big unit and a beast in the air. Why wasn’t he man marked?
              Why are the full backs pushed so far in in open play? It leaves massive space for the oppositions attackers.

I’m not to disappointed. It’s one game. It’s the first game but if we don’t improve defensively then we won’t be going anywhere this season.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              gingerlfc
              Participant

I’m happy for Coutinho to go as long as we make Barca pay through the nose AND we are able to replace him for a reasonable amount.
                That’s 2 big caveats that I’m not sure can be met.

Lallana is gonna be out for approx 3 months during a very busy period of important games. If we then lose Coutinho, who plays attacking midfield? As we seen yesterday we need someone to link midfield and attack.

I just don’t think we have enough time left to replace Coutinho AND sign another centreback and midfielder. That’s too much business to get done in 2+ weeks.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

What I do find frustrating is that in relation to the pre-season the squad was thrown in the deep end and playing full-blown competitive football against quality teams. We did well too through out albeit 1 defeat (I think).

I was ultra happy to see Jon Flanagan return to the fold. JK is not standing in the way of offers coming in for Alberto Moreno, so why on earth was he even selected in the starting line up? It’s madness.

We had opportunities to kill that game off on the basis of chances falling to Salah and Wijn. Wijn is too lukewarm for me and doesn’t show enough aggression and ruthlessness in his game. This is what we lack, alongside leadership.

I love JK, but his team selection was baffling. We needed Solanke to come on for us and grab a 4th goal. We have not learned our lessons from last season in these type of games where the opposition wont lie down and yesterday reminded me of Bournemouth.

I just knew in the back of my mind that even in the final moments, we’d succumb to all the Watford huffing and puffing and concede, and we did.

We should beat Palace next Saturday and I think we will, comfortably inspite of them being our bogey team at Anfield.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

P.S. Lallana was definitely missed. Don’t get too why Henderson doesn’t come forward to support attacking play.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

I’m happy for Coutinho to go after we get a replacement. I assume that will be next summer or maybe January if we were to miss out on CL football. I think the lack of loyalty in this game is excused way too easily and quickly these days. Coutinho of all people should show at least some but forget him i guess. .

This game was terrible in all the ways that Liverpool can be but it had it’s positives and Salah’s debut was one of them. He seemed to lack a bit of confidence in the first half but Klopp had a word with him, telling him to stay a little more central in the 2nd half and it worked. I’m really excited at the prospect of seeing more from Mane and Salah in the future but we all know that ultimately their input will amount to nothing if we don’t resolve our issues to some extent.

Some of our problems at defending set-pieces come as a result of us wanting to have so many skillful players. The flair type players don’t tend to be so good at the defensive side of the game and certainly at the physical side of it. We have one of the shortest teams in the league and sometimes I think we’re paying for it in these situations. other times though, it’s avoidable, yet we don’t seem to be able to really improve at all.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      gingerlfc
                      Participant

I believe this Coutinho situation has turned so ugly because Barca had Neymar bought from them leaving them short of a player, short in time to find a replacement but rich in cash.
                        They reportedly told Coutinho that the move happens now or never in order to place massive pressure on him to leave this summer.
                        This doesn’t excuse Coutinho behaviour, this is just to give some context of how this situation has developed.
                        Unfortunately we are now left in the situation where we may be left without an important player, very little time to find a replacement but loads of cash swilling about.
                        God only knows if the owners will stand firm but if they do Coutinho must remember it’s a World Cup year and he’ll want to perform in order to ensure he’s picked and is in good form going into the finals.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

ginger, it’s a difficult one. As you say, Liverpool could soon be in the situation Barca have been left in. Lots of cash, little time to spend it. It has a knock on effect in terms of replacing him. It’s all well and good getting an inflated fee for Coutinho but Liverpool are going to be charged similarly inflated prices for a replacement. Someone, somewhere will end the window with lots of the Neymar money in the bank and a star player short. I wouldn’t like to put my money on which club that will be!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          mwake
                          Participant

Coutinho isnt going!!! FSG will look very very silly. They have already made a massive media statement, saying they will not sell. If they sold him, it could be the beginning of the end for FSG. The only redemption would be if we signed Keita and VVD but even then…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            gingerlfc
                            Participant

True FSG will look very silly and bring a lot of criticism their way if they now sell Coutinho however the statement they made was BEFORE Coutinho handed in the transfer request.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Hightown hope

It’s taken me a couple of days to reflect on the game and come on here and give my two pennyworth. I’ve also being looking for my jaw, as it dropped so far when I realised that we have learnt nothing since last season. The VERY first corner we concede this season, and the opposition score. We concede 3 corners in the game, and f*** me, they score from 2 of them. It’s beyond a joke, it really is, and has highlighted again the importance of landing VVD, though I hear today, Chelsea are confident of landing him…and let’s face it, their need is as bad as ours.

Matip chooses Saturday to have, arguably, his worst game in a Liverpool shirt, and Lovren was just Lovren. And why, oh why did Jurgen take Trent off with 5 minutes to go to bring Gomez on. He comes on cold, gives away a free kick and generally looks undercooked. Fine, bring him on as part of a back 5 for the last few minutes as we try to kill the game (cos we’re good at that!!), but don’t disrupt your defence with a like for like change at that stage.

I have fears about tomorrow night now, as I reckon an away goal is crucial, as they’re bound to get a corner or two when they come to Anfield.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

The Neymar transfer has left us with a domino effect. Fees for players now have risen ridiculously and potentially if this trend carries on, the bubble eventually will have to burst (unless regulations are brought in).

I don’t blame Coutinho. This is now the mind and soul of a modern day player and as supporters like it or not, you have to be prepared at the prospect of losing your best player (unless he’s Steven Gerrard at his peak).

The Manager and Top Bosses shouldn’t be surprised and should have pre-empted this along time ago with the player. Didn’t Coutinho sign a new contract? Would there have been some kind of a release clause?

This is my problem with this entire scenario: If you have a transfer window designed, then every deal should be completed BEFORE the start of a new season. Traditionally in the past, the end of March was the final completion for transfers.

Clubs now don’t even take team photos. Lanzini for me would have been at least one possibility of a replacement and the best fit. The whole logic of building your squad and layering up with like for like players is to support these instances as well as injuries and suspensions.

It should never just be about one player. The business in the defensive part hasn’t been productive albeit one full-back. It should also too be implemented as a collective responsibility on set-pieces and individuals need to be vocal and be confident facing challenging situations otherwise, we may as well lay the goals on the plate for opposing teams.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Nike19
                                  Participant

All 3 of those goals conceded were shambolic and we basically allowed ourselves to be bullied without exhibiting any pride. An underdog in a 3rd round cup tie at least would be more courageous.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.