Home Community General Football Van Basten on the offside rule

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

He says scrap it and let’s be done with all offside controversies

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12249982/marco-van-basten-on-the-offside-law-why-it-should-be-scrapped-and-the-hockey-precedent-that-might-surprise

What you think?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Luckydestiny
      Participant

It would radically change the game as we know it so like any other radical proposal it will be met with stiff opposition, however I would love to see it trialled at least as the game could be better for it

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

Would definitely be interesting to see it trialled. I do quite like Wenger’s idea though where you’re onside if any part of you is onside, although that’s unlikely to change the amount of controversial calls.

I also like Wenger’s idea of having the World Cup and Euros every 2 years instead of every 4. Most players now, at best, get chance to play in 4 World Cups. 1 bad injury and that significantly reduces what is already a limited time to shine on the (arguably) biggest stage of them all. It would mean a big tournament every year. I realise it’d be putting more strain on an already heavy schedule but squads are bigger than ever and I’m sure the club sides would be happy to see smaller leagues to lighten the schedule somewhat.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

That’s how we played our kick about games in the park there were so many goals we could never remember the score.😊

You can never say never but I can’t see it happening.

They just have to stop calling offside by the tips of a finger and if one your feet are onside then you’re onside.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

Football reviewing Maguire’s choke hold.😊

“It is understood that clubs were sent a series of clips of incidents since VAR was introduced at the start of last season, with the Maguire/Azpilicueta clash thought to have been among them.

β€œThey were asked to watch each clip, then presented with yes/no questions about whether VAR should have intervened, and whether the right decision was reached. Club representatives were then invited to explain briefly their answers.

β€œAt the end of the questionnaire, they were given the opportunity to say how they thought the system could be made better. While the power to change the laws belongs to IFAB, the Premier League are keen to canvass opinion across their competition following a number of difficulties this season and last.”

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

I stated previously they should scrap the offside rule. Yes it would change the game, I think for the better and it would bring more tactical game/. The danger though is I think the game will become faster and more injuries will appear but well worth a try for a season

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                gjblues
                Participant

The issue I have with ‘no offside’ rule would be teams reverting to ‘goal hanging’ and long ball tactics, which, imo, would be a retrograde step for the game of football.
                  The better option, which would lead to more goals, is the one professed by Wenger, where if any part of your body is onside, you are not penalised. It would not reduce the amount of VAR interruptions but as I said, it would lead to more goals, which essentially, is why we watch the game.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

Nine, I have always thought that way too but van basten’s arguments make sense and really got me questioning

I remember jumpers for goals posts, no offsides and losing track of scores, but in all seriousness how much money was on the line and how well were you coached? πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Luckydestiny
                    Participant

Giblue, there are some good arguments against that in the article, it would open the game up tactically and doesn’t matter how many players are goal hanging if you can’t get the ball to them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Pagan
                      Participant

They could also adapt the icing rule from ice hockey so it limits the long ball, that is to say divide the pitch into 4 equal sections, and you can only play the ball 2 sections…..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

Pagan…that could be good but would we not have the same problem with more line decisions to be made. The existing lines are flawed by officials as it stands but I can see some sense in working around this. However, I would still like to see “no offside” given a trial with a proviso that a player could not camp out in the opposing half. It is the tight decisions that are giving the problem which I maintain that the human managing the technology are not capable or good enough to manage

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

To be fair VAR gets Offside right 99.9% of the time and it is very accurate the problem is that it’s too accurate and ruling goals out for offside on fingertips etc.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Lucky, jumpers for goal posts etc bought back lots of memories at School I played for my House on Wednesday afternoons and the School on Saturday afternoons so I had little free time and the only real Coaching I got was at School when I left School I played U21 League football and then Men’s League football but you’re right there was limited to no Coaching outside of School where I did get some regulat Coaching after School.

School holidays though we’re spent in the Cricket nets or on a football pitch in the park playing with a whole bunch of friends some of whom were very good and training with Clubs ironically the only one who made a career out football was probably the less talented of most of the players I played with and he went on to play almost 500 games for QPR and after that Plymouth,Exeter and Hereford but he did have a hell of an engine.

Overall though we played when and wherever we could one park we played in had goal posts but the pitch could be a quagmire but all the others required jumpers for goal posts the one with goal posts was a bike ride away and on the way back we used to stop off for a six penny glass of Tizer.😊

The Coaching and facilities my Grandsons get now with floodlit pitches and ex pros and Club Youth Coaches Coaching them is a million miles from what we had back then and although they train twice a week and play at the weekends they don’t play as much as I did back then but that’s progress. They’re both much better than I ever was though.😊 Cheers 9’s

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Adlab
                              Participant

I just like the idea is that if any part of the body is onside then you are onside. In old parlance if you are level you are onside.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Adlab
                                Participant

Jumpers for goal posts. Arguments when the ball went over the jumper. Was it a goal. Playing in the park when the goals were up. Extacy if there were nets…Memories!
                                  Summer hols. Football in the park. Often cricket. Watching Lancashire at Old Trafford lunch eaten by 11.30. Nostalgia! Not playing with a phone all day. Very very few overweight.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Brian blue
                                  Participant

Technology maybe convenient but not always right. I would ban phones for under 18’s. and I mean years not months, although I have seen some parents letting there young ones have phones some as young as 5/6Yr!!!
                                    Crazy world. You are right football and cricket in the park or on any old site you could find was enjoyable

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Brian blue
                                    Participant

PS. I would also bring back National Service…mandatory..no excuses

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Nike19
                                      Participant

Nine, that was a Lovely read mate πŸ™‚ First Time I’ve Tapped into this particular Thread. πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Disappointingly, from my perspective in experience so far, VAR has found itself caught into a set of Rule Changes and ones that have been micro-managed pedantic, and in essence, just nonsensical and head scratching.

I always pulled myself towards FIFA’s change back in 1994 where the modified rule then strived towards benefitting the forward.

We just need to overall Strike a Balance. Lol I’m picturing a bad form of Goal-Hanging in Andy Carroll like a Basket-Ball Player πŸ˜€

I’m thinking Wenger is trying to dismiss Armpits hahaha πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Blaze
                                          Blocked

If there’s no offside at all it would become a circus, the best tactics in such a scenario would then be to have the whole team camping in the oppositions box and vice versa for every kickoff. I prefer only the feet in front of an opponent to be deemed as offside. That would make it much more sensible.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.