Home Community General Football The new manager effect

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

So, There’s a lot of love for Lampard at the bridge. I would love for him to become a champion manager as he was player but the initial signs look far from promising, despite the hot air Chelsea fans are blowing out we have regressed massively as a club.

Defensively we have the third worst defence in the league. Under Sarri, we had the third best. In Sarri’s brief reign, CFC picked up 16 points from the first six while under Lampard we have made just 8. Wins against Arsenal and drawing against Liverpool at home (first 7 games) The club this year has a minus goal difference. The defending is not improving hence my alarm bells at the sides form.

The excuse is we’re blooding youngsters. the reality is it is almost identically the same side that Sarri was using last season minus Eden Hazard Madrid’s new Michelin man.

There are also serious issues for Manchester United. While OGS had a terrific bounce after taking over from Jose, they now look like a club in free fall, much like Chelsea. Cant score goals, no recognisable goal scorer and the ball going into their net more often than it should because the defending is haphazard at best. Both clubs if they’re not careful will be pulled into a relegation battle because the clubs around them are better at defending than they are and have ability to nick results and points.

The fans who like the managers are all saying they need more time in the transfer window etc etc… My premise is simple, if you cant set a team up defensively, you dont deserve to spend the money.

As for Real Madrid, Has re-appointing Zidane worked for them? Again they look suspect defensively despite having some big talent at the back.

I guess my next question is where will Jose’s toxic form of anti football go next it’s Chelsea or Madrid.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Pagan
      Participant

442, aren’t stats brill!!, no mention that Chelsea are joint third highest scorers in the league, and that although the squad may not have changed dramatically (barring Mount, Tomori and Abraham) the starting line up is vastly different.

Similar can be said of a Derby County this season, who barring their 3 loan players leaving have basically the same squad. However the general opinion locally seems to be that although Lampard had a lot to learn tactically the players genuinely liked playing for him and compensated for his limited experience with hard work, so hopefully he can bring that to the bridge.

It’s early days yet and as long as we see improvement over the season and thing remain harmonious I for one will be reasonably happy, let’s face it we’ve had worse seasons….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        steveosnakeeye
        Participant

bit of a mixed up post there 442, like you8 argue for and against your own points….

but if i get what you are saying……

new manager bounce didnt work well for Watford 😉

i feel similar to you now tho with my team and a few more fans are going the same way…Emery was given a free pass after replacing AW and having to work with what he had and the club had left him, over paid underperforming stars and no identity (like Man U) he has done well in some ways in others tho…if you cant set up a team to defend or focus the players in, in that area where the world and his wife can see they are needed, is he a poor manager?

we need him with maureen as his number 2, least the anti football god knows how to defend!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          threeps
          Participant

I think any criticism of Lampard is unjustified at the moment. What else was expected from him with a transfer ban hanging over him.

Vs UTD they were the better team for 30 minutes and to be honest 4-0 was a bit of a freak result where everything UTD did paid off.

Vs Liverpool I thought we were better first half, you second. The reason? I thought we won the midfield battle until Kante took ownership after the break. Was that a tactical tweak at half time? Should Frank get credit for that? No idea!

Those were two results that could easily of been draws or even wins.

Abraham and Mount have no doubt been the highlights for him so far. Can he get Pulisic playing well? It’s too early to judge him in my opinion.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

Klopp may be used as the exception to the rule as defensively Liverpool were still suspect for quite a large part of his earlier time at the club. But he still got the team to 2 finals in his first season, and because of his charisma, had real authority in the dressing room. I think he also took a bit of time adjusting to the physicality of the premier league.

My main concern with Lampard is that whilst there is enthusiasm there, there needs to be something deeper there so that the players can maintain their motivation in the longer term, or else, it will just fizzle out. In any good relationship, both sides need to use each other to the same extent. I just worry the club is using Lampard for more a temporary phase and Lampard felt he couldn’t turn the opportunity down. And so he feels he has the license to be bold without consequences and blood the youth because that’s the remit he’s been given by the club. The problem is in that case is that he is acting like a temporary manager. As I say, unless there is something deeper there, this isn’t going to last and Roman certainly isn’t going to trust him with £200 mill next summer.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Pagan, Sadly, its not how many you score in football its how many you keep out.

I would argue that although Tammy Abraham has scored seven. The GD tally is miserable. Theyre not the top order clubs he’s done it against, and against United we looked toothless, as we did in the Champions league, no fault being placed at his feet but he’s developing his game an he is nothing more than a poacher. Look at his goals last season and the ones before and its all in the box.

Threeps. I think you can be critical of Lampard. You have to defend. It’s the same defence that played last year + Timori who looks a prospect. But you have to defend. Arsenal, above us in the league because they’ve got goals all over the park, defending looks catastrophic.

Having said that, we’re all starting to see basket ball scores, Chelsea beating wolves by 5 etc…. City v Watford. Has everyone just got F**k defence? Even Spurs lok like a barn door blowing open and shut in the wind.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Luckydestiny
                Participant

BP, No chelsea fan will argue that we are not weaker this season than last..so far at least. But are you seriously suggesting that Lamps is the cause of this? Bit confusing since only a few weeks ago you said this “Given how fickle Chelsea fans are over the last decade. I’ll give Lampard until January before dissent pours down from the stands” Well at least those fickle fans are willing to wait half a season before they make a judgement, we are 6 games in ffs.

“The excuse is we’re blooding youngsters. the reality is it is almost identically the same side that Sarri was using last season minus Eden Hazard Madrid’s new Michelin man.”

Get out of it, we had both kante and hazard available regularly at the start of last season and less injuries than we have this year too, without even considering that the older players have regressed also which is nothing to do with lamps but part of the reason he has to put faith in players like mount, tammy and tomori so soon.

Personally I believe without Hazard in the side last year sarri would have had no where near as good a start and we would not have come close to 3rd place. I say this with conviction because I witnessed game after game where sarri ball gave us nothing and Hazard got us over the line.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

BP, No chelsea fan will argue that we are not weaker this season than last..so far at least. But are you seriously suggesting that Lamps is the cause of this? Bit confusing since only a few weeks ago you said this “Given how fickle Chelsea fans are over the last decade. I’ll give Lampard until January before dissent pours down from the stands” Well at least those fickle fans are willing to wait half a season before they make a judgement, we are 6 games in ffs.

“The excuse is we’re blooding youngsters. the reality is it is almost identically the same side that Sarri was using last season minus Eden Hazard Madrid’s new Michelin man.”

Get out of it, we had both kante and hazard available regularly at the start of last season and less injuries than we have this year too, without even considering that the older players have regressed also which is nothing to do with lamps but part of the reason he has to put faith in players like mount, tammy and tomori so soon.

Personally I believe without Hazard in the side last year sarri would have had no where near as good a start and we would not have come close to 3rd place. I say this with conviction because I witnessed game after game where sarri ball gave us nothing and Hazard got us over the line more often than not imo.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Quick comment about the Spuds “D”, the personal are the same (although we look fooking awful when Sanchez is playing RB), but there does seem to be a few silly mistakes in them this season. Maybe certain players just don’t care anymore, who knows, but a proper rollicking is in order. Fully expect to see some improvement over the next few weeks.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

I think Chelsea have a better squad then utd. Utd have not replaced the forward players who have left

Chelsea have a few players to come back. Rudiger is one of the best cbs in the league. The 3 young lads have stepped up bigtime. Salah couldn’t get by Tomori on Sunday.3 really outstanding prospects

I’d be more concerned if I was a utd fan as utd just look so ordinary and the squad looks so depleted

Chelsea are very god going forward. Both managers need time. Plenty of it

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        steveosnakeeye
                        Participant

Nancy, i think with the spuds you to few coming in (no cover for RB) and many have been there so long now and no new injection in the team to take the “next step”, having made the CL final you diddnt “kick on” and have not for to long now so many of the older players may well be thinking they have done what they can…

poch to RM?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Pagan
                          Participant

442. Although I get your point about not conceding, we are good going forward. Defence is easier to coach than attack, that is to say position is easier than creativity to coach, so with time and the right coaching I think we’ll be fine.

As for poacher in the box, that’s exactly what we need, there’s a big difference between a great goal scorer and a scorer of great goals.

I have no idea of your age, but in the late 70s early 80s Chelsea were often used in comedic fashion as a byword for useless. For me as an old bugger over the last 15 to 20 years I’ve seen Chelsea do things I could only dream of, now we’ve done that with the money we’ve spent there’s always been that niggle of wanting to be successful with home grown players, I for one would at least like to see us have a bash at bringing youth through…..Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

No doubt that Chelsea have got to get better defensively but Rudiger has only played 45 minutes (no goals conceded in that time.?)

And we’ve hardly had Kante available.

On Sunday we gave away two cheap free kicks the second of which was questionable imo and we let Firmino score from a header which was pretty awful.

Other than that I thought we coped with Liverpool quite well defensively even though we lost 2 out of 4 of the back 4 in the first half.

It clearly isn’t the same defenders as last season Rudiger has hardly played and both Zouma and Tomori weren’t at the Club.

Personally I think a partnership of Rudiger and Tomori going forwards looks very promising and that Reece James could really add something at right back over time too.

Pleased to hear the backing Frank got both during and after the game from the match going fans they sense the task and what he’s trying to achieve.

The Club were and are in special circumstances because of the transfer ban which made Frank and Jody the right candidates to take the Club forward the ban together with the loss of Hazard and the lengthy injury let to key players would have tested any Manager let alone one with one seasons experience in the Championship.

We probably deserve a couple of more points and whilst the results haven’t been everything you would want there’s been plenty of encouraging performances.

Frank deserves the 100% support of everyone from Roman down and I think in the main that’s what he’ll get personally I’ve been very encouraged by a lot of what I’ve seen and when Frank has all the players available to him and an opportunity to strengthen areas that he thinks need strengthening in the transfer market it will be very interesting as to how things may go.

Rome though wash built in a day though and we’ve had too many quick fix solutions and this medium to long term strategy shows a lot of promise imo.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

Good post Threeps, first off I think if anyone is criticizing Lampard is a bit thick (sorry if anyone here has but…). He’s in the honeymoon period and although it’s not been win after win, every time I’ve watched them, I’ve seen that raw potential. There is just so much quality in their side. It’s my opinion that when the honeymoon is over, they will have enough about them to take the required steps forward. From what I saw against us, Chelsea were very coherent in this offensive play. I would say that yes, it was tactical as they were applying so much pressure down the flanks and we were genuinely struggling.

That game gave me some concerns about our fitness after only 60 minutes. Chelsea ran us ragged and Threeps, I agree, we were the better side 1st half and them 2nd. It’s not all credit to Chelseas, as Salah was terrible and Mane took a knock, tried to run it off but eventually they just took him off. He wasn’t great before this point though either.

So, the way Chelsea exploited the flanks and pretty much cast us back 2 years defensively, makes me think that this Lampard chap might have a future at Chelsea. Great players usually don’t make great managers, so I was skeptical. I still am of course but to a softer degree. I had looked at this season and thought “poor Chelsea fans have a tough one ahead” but with the likes of Mount and Abraham coming through and wrecking everyone. With Kante back to his best.. screw those Chelsea fans, I’m jealous! 😉 I joke but exciting times for you boys. We were promised a break-through star in Brewster but I’ve yet to see him. Maybe tomorrow!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Buffy… hard to disagree with any of that. The 4-2-3-1 formation Poncho loves has been sussed out, those 18 months with no players has led to complacency. And to 4 signings we made this summer have not hit the ground running at all. Wee Erik, Toby and Jan all free to move next summer… no RB after Trippier went (would love to know what that was all about), Weirdy Beardy against Palace was the best RB performance this season by far, the rest (regardless of whom was wearing the shirt) have been dire. I’m assuming Foyth being injured was the fly on that ointment.

Quite frankly, they’re all playing like their still sulking about the CL final…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  threeps
                                  Participant

Utd seem to be really struggling, those crazy days last season when Ole first took over seem a very distant past now. The performance against West Ham was terrible, described by some pundits as the worst in recent memory.

What Utd clearly need to do is sack Ole, then re-appoint him as his own successor in a caretaker role till the end of the season. Then, and this is the trick they missed last time, don’t give him the full time job! But in truth I cannot see any gain to get rid of him now (second favorite to go I think) as there’s no one about to take over at this stage.

Utd are missing a strategy, and this would come from a DoF. Someone that keeps the style, ethos, whatever you want to call it pretty much the same even when managers come and go. And then recruit players that fit that strategy so at least they have the right players already at the club and don’t need to rebuild every time.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by threeps.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

I think it’s simple. Utd abd chelsea managers need to be given this season as a write off if it goes belly up

There will be bad performances and results and supporters need to back the manager otherwise they have to start all over again

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

Klopp tips Gerrard to replace him.

“If you ask who should follow me, I’d say Stevie. I help him whenever I can.”

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Big clubs with big shoes to fill. If you’re judging somebody after 2/3 defeats then, you may as well throw in the towel.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Anonymous

I don’t like the Gerrard for manager stuff. Chelsea may strike it lucky with Lampard but it’s a lottery. Personally I don’t think Gerrard has the communication to be a top manager. I’ve heard him talk many times since he’s gone to this level and I dunno, it just feels like he’s winging it.

Experience may do him well and I’d be DELIGHTED to be wrong but I feel a little unwell at this roar from our fans that he has to be the next manager.

Liverpool fans have to be smarter than this. We’ve got to pull away from this idea of “its meant to be” and actually ask if it’s the right move, cause the wrong one c an set you back 5 years. Another mistake after that can ruin you as a club.

There is no time for sentimentality when you’re looking at shifting a legend on the field, into the key role off the pitch, with entirely different core skills.

The fans need to shut up about Gerrard unless they are talking about 05. Let’s all hope Klopp sticks around for longer but the fact that he’s fueling this fire…. that unnerves me a little.

Man City would be fine without Pep. They have infinite resources and can get any good manager in and he’d do amazing with that squad.

Liverpool do not have technically well rounded players, to the same extent. we do not have a bench full of superstars. Without Klopp, we’d return to 4th.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 124 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.