Home Community Liverpool Teams exposing our weakness at the back

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

We’ve been short of the end product for a fair few years now and that’s purely down to circumstantial changing of the defensive unit.

Lovren’s return for the first time brought in more solidarity for yesterday’s game, but a lot of water has passed already and we’ve allowed teams to bully us and be exposed in the box.

From the top of my head for this season so far, the majority of goals we have conceded would be:

1) Ariel
      2) 6 yard area
      3) Lots of bodies in the way and the first ball not properly dealt with
      4) Low crosses not cut out by full-backs on either flanks

This doesn’t help Mignolet and everytime he concedes as a result of all this, he is easily blamed and made a scapegoat, at times, unfairly.

We have to be more mentally strong, smart and ultimately be more resolute. But that comes with getting the basics right and believing and trusting in ourselves more.

I don’t know if Van Dijk is still a possibility, but if so, then further down the line in the future, we could see him forge a partnership with Matip. This then would leave Clyne to return when fit and we can play Robertson instead of Moreno.

Henderson and Can work well, but Wijn is no more than a squad player and not a guy you can rely on away from home, so I would play Milner. Already, you have protection and players you can trust to support the defensive line.

Kieta for the future could potentially be the tonic needed to grip hold of the defence and give it some aggression it needs because that’s what a lot of it boils down to – the fact the we’re just been used to being a soft touch and allowing a lot of the opposition teams to just walk all over us.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Oz Yob
      Participant

I think We need a good DM to protect the CB’s a bit. Yes they make unbelievable mistakes regularly but they are also left exposed a hell of a lot due to the system Klopp plays. IMO a lot of our problems stem from exposed CB’s & a terribly weak midfield that gets bullied more often than not. Being more prolific up top would help as well but until we get a 20+ striker I doubt that will change.
        We have a lot to improve on before we are where we want to be.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Oz Yob
        Participant

How could I forget set pieces, we need a dominant leader at the back before anything else.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

True Oz Yob,

Although individually, these guys have their own strengths (in one way or another) to bring to the table, I don’t see Henderson, Can and Wijn, to be ‘that guy’. Mascherano was a big loss to us and never replaced.

James Milner comes very close, but how often will he start and play in that role now that Klopp has taken him out of the left back position?

The set pieces pinpoint more to how we deal with the second ball. The full-backs shoulder some accountability because really in essence, they should be following up the second balls to tidy up and clear the lines.

Instead, the centre halves are stretched as a result. The opposition needs only one extra man and he’ll find himself an empty net or a goalmouth to aim for with only the keeper to beat.

I always find it’s a combination of zone and man-marking that generates discipline and a measured defensive line.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Nike19.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

I think this is as much a philosophy and Coaching/defensive organisational problem as much as anything else with a touch of very limited investment in the defensive area thrown in.

Much better qualified ex pros suggest that just signing a player like VVD won’t be the solution to the problem and Robertson is much better in forward more than defensive mode and probably more suited to a wing back role just like Moreno.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

With regards to Pool’s defensive issues, I do think the problem is simply you can’t have 2 CB’s if you’ve instructed your FB’s to bomb forward as Pool’s tend to do. You look at most teams who play AFB’s (Attacking Full Backs!… I’ve just invented a new position!) they tend to play with 3 dedicated CB’S, like my Spuds and that other mob in West Moscow London.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Hightown hope

And you’ve got to play with a goalkeeper! What on earth does Klopp see in Karius?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Big Jim
                  Participant

I thought Klopp had backed Mingolet if so why drop him for a big CL game. Sure do it for a league cup game. Dont quite understand that logic.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Nike19
                    Participant

Maybe I’m just perceiving the changes differently to perhaps others, but if anything, to have both Keepers the allowance of game time is welcoming.

Mignolet has done better in fairness to him and naturally over Karius, he is more experienced, but Karius was signed for a reason and he has to be bedded in sometime and sooner rather than wait on the sidelines for an opportunity.

And competition is healthy 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Hightown hope

Competition is only healthy if it is improving the performance of the two keepers. While it did improve Mignolet last season, undoubtedly, Karius has shown not the slightest improvement. It’s crazy by Klopp, and is jeopardising our Champions League chances

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Karius,Mignolet, Karius, Mignolet, Ward, Karius. Confusing.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.