Home Community General Football Summer Tourny’s…. every year????

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Reckon this topic deserves a thread of it’s own…

So, certain chaps want to have both the Eorld Cup and Euro’s every year, so we basically end up with a summer tourny every summer…

Personally, and purely as a fan, I quite like the idea if I’m honest. And another “plus” to the argument is that there would, apparently, be only 2 “international” breaks each season instead of the current 5 (I don’t think anybody would be against that, international friendlies are the biggest waste of space on the calendar as far as I’m concerned), so the number of “games” the players would play wouldn’t differ a great deal, if anything it’s better as they would be spaced out a little bit more.

The only downside to me, is would the actual value of the Tourny’s be dimished in any way?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

I’m all for it. It’s a short career. Currently, one big injury or a poor qualifying campaign could mean missing a World Cup and there then being an 8 year gap between World Cups either side of that one. That’s far too big a gap in my opinion. You want the best players on the biggest stage and International football needs to modernise to keep pace with club football.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

And there is that as well, unlucky players missing a tourny through injury. That has to go into the “plus” column for me too.

Another thing, would make the start of the season a bit more interesting too, with all the big-dogs possibly needing to rest the “superstars”… give the minions a chance for an upset or two…

The only sticking point is the number of games, and if it works out the number of games per year, on average, is basically the same as now, then I really see no problem at all.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

I believe there is a proposal from FIFA to play the World Cup Finals very two years which UEFA are completely opposed to.

It would be a test imo fitting in both tournaments every 2 years and a hard sell to get everyone to agree to a World Cup every 2 years with all the qualifying games for each tournament fitted in around them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

2 points to consider, Puppy, the qualifiers are meant to be “drastically reduced” (it seems something like that silly cup thing I’ve forgotten the name of is on the cards, rather than the current “group” set-up)…

And most of all, there’s been a few comments here there and everywhere that he’s already got enough votes in FIFA to carry this anyway… even if UEFA and the South American object, everybody else is for it… and that’s enough to “carry” the motion.

Unlike the nonsense earlier this year about the new Euro League, I strongly suspect what public opinion there is will be enough. I think we’ll be seeing this happening before the Euro Leaugue gets of the ground, if I’m honest.

Anyway, it’s a trophy Chelski can’t buy, no wonder you’re against it!! πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Chucky, working Chelsea into a discussions about proposed changes to the World Cup?????

You are soooo! obsessed with Chelsea Chucky.😊

Don’t let those bags of McCains on each shoulder unbalance you too much though! 🀣🀣🀣

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

I told you before, it’s my job! πŸ™‚

By all accounts it’s the Saudi’s behind this, so you can bet the housekeeping they’ll be awarded the 1st one…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Chucky, I think they will have to carry Europe to get it over the line and everyone needs to understand the logistical side of it all.

A World Cup every 2 years is a massive money earner for FIFA though.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

That’s absolutely what it’s about, the brown envelopes have already been sent.

And I’m pretty sure UEFA will need to backing of not just the South American’s but a couple of other federations too to stop it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Yeah I suspect what we are seeing now and going forwards is posturing around the subject prior to all the details being ironed out and ultimately agreed to but we’ll see.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Pagan
                        Participant

Perhaps a different format for the β€œSecond World Cup” let’s go straight knockout from the off, all countries in from round 1, last 64 to a central country for the finals, still knock out format, possibly not everyone’s cup of tea, but may be worth a try………Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Brian blue
                          Participant

I do not mind World Cup every two years but drop the other Cups. UEFA etc

I do not think by thinking of players may miss out because of injury comes into the solution. The game will be planned on its commercial value not a players dream.

I have never favoured wall to wall football throughout the year in any form and that is where the game is heading if we are not careful

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

Whatever cuts down on international breaks is a good thing.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Rover
                              Participant

I think once every 3 years would suit all parties with the top seeded teams of each continent not having to qualify as per the required ratio like for instance Europe would probably have more seeded teams not having to qualify. But once every 2 years is a bit over the top.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

Chuky…City have objected to the proposal

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Not sure how much weight City opposing the new World Cup will have Brian.

I think it would require the ECA collectively to come together and oppose it and even then that probably won’t be enough.

As Chucky has indicated if the majority of the Association’s within FIFA vote in favour it will happen.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chucky McChuckface
                                    Participant

BB… my money is on your slavemasters objecting, purely on the principle it’s the Saudi’s behind it!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Pagan
                                      Participant

If my cynical brain is correct, then the idea is to get rid of the continental based nations summer tournaments and replace them with another global one, so that will effectively get rid of UEFA and the like, that sort of paves the way for continental or global club level super leagues………Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Nine. City and others will carry no weight that I would agree on but at lease they have made the objection

Cannot work out your conspiracy theory. but all good fun trying tp do it

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          nine nine nine

I don’t have a conspiracy theory Brian that’s Pagan.😊

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.