Home Community Non-Football Rio the Boxer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Big Jim
    Participant

Just read a headline that Rio Ferdinand is to become a professional boxer at the age of 38. Really come on! He thinks he can just two in the ring and win fights. Crazy. At least he won’t harm his good looks much.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

He’s in incredible shape, unlike Flintoff who tried the same thing a while back. Look how ripped he is here:

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-rio-ferdinand-to-attempt-to-become-a-professional-boxer-20170918?c=1505764243638

Still, at 38, it’s surely nothing more than a publicity stunt.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Big Jim
        Participant

Obviously just more to just being very fit to be even reasonable at boxing ED. It’s not something you can just pick up and go straight into as a 38yr old. Fair chance he will fight complete bums and then get hurt when he comes across someone decent or get hurt straight away. Silly decision, stick to what you know get your coaching badges in football.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

Absolutely Jim, it’s a farce. I was merely pointing out that he’s at least kept himself in good shape. There’s no comparison between his fitness and Flintoff’s from when he made the switch over. The reality, though, is that boxing is about so much more than being in good shape, as you say.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

I reckon there’s a long line of “proper” boxers lining up to take a pop at him. I think it’s incredibly disrespectful when a “celebrity” fancies having a crack at another sport, and due to their “celebrity” status, get all sorts of favors in the process.

Got nothing against Rio, bloke’s been through enough as we all know, but I hope he gets knocked on his ass in a the embarrassing of fashions to be honest.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

I genuinely wish him well. He’s young and has a whole life ahead of him. Many footballers once retired don’t really realise they have a whole life ahead of them and effectively, they could potentially go into almost anything they want.

Robbie Fowler went into property, and I think there’s a well known former Chelsea player that went and studied an undergraduate degree.

Some just fall into punditry, and from my point of view in that particular capacity, there’s a little too many on the market – refreshing to see somebody do something different for a change.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.