Home Community General Football Pulling out of the World Cup is still a possibility!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

Australiabn Foreign minister Julie Bishop raised the prospect of Australia boycotting the 2018 World Cup in Russia. β€œThere are a whole range of further options … The boycott of the World Cup is one of the further actions that could be taken in relation to this matter,” she said.

I don’t think it can be discounted and if Australia is not ruling out boycotting the World Cup then you would think that a number of other countries are considering similar including England.

It would be a shame for the competition and a shame to see Sport mixed with Politics but this is a significant issue. Given how strongly the UK have reacted to the Salsbury incident and how things have now mushroomed around the world it’s concerning to think what might be in store for travelling England fans.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      maverick1973
      Participant

I really think they should bloody consider it @ least.Travelling fans are going to be in some serious danger,no mistake about it.Why the fook award it to Russia[and Qatar] in the 1st place?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Nobody is pulling out. All smoke and mirrors cyber chums.

Although I would love it if the FA not only pulled out but announced a “Summer Tournament” and got all the big boys to play. Wouldn’t even need 32 teams, just get all the big boys involved from the get go…..

Never going to happen, just pulling out and sitting at home is going to be laughed at by everybody else…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Mav, I’m really not sure England fans should be travelling to Russia under the current circumstances but they will and I think they may be putting themselves in considerable danger if they do. Hope I’m wrong though.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Oz Yob
            Participant

My Oz lads are lucky to be there. IMO the World Cup should be played between the best Countries in the World & our lot are nowhere near good enough to compete at that level. I get trying to promote the game etc but but as a spectacle you want to see the best teams playing & considering some Countries not involved I think us Aussies are lucky to be there. Hopefully they prove me wrong but I doubt it, we just don’t have the talent.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

A bit harsh on theAussie team^ OzYob. The games I have seen them they have put up a good showing It isrtue Australia are still a developing country in football but I believe you will get there, in the meantime the experience they gain will help

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Brian blue
                Participant

Like it or not we are all in a serious position with this Russian affair, to think otherwise would be foolish. Any fans going will get some kind of treatment but they now know that before they book there t sounds like not good decision making to me and what about there families worrying about them when they are away…any thought for them….just to watch a football match….madness

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

Regarding the England fans who plan to travel, then God help them. The shaven headed bozos who throw chairs and bottles (and bikes!) at police and by-standers will get what is coming to them – I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. The ones I feel sorry for are those England fans who never miss a game, and watching and travelling with England is their lifetime hobby. I’ve met people like that, and they will be gutted if they don’t go as it’s the pinnacle of watching your national team, like watching your club team in the Champions League final. They have put up with enough dross and dire games, and this should be their 2 or 3 week reward. I wouldn”t go, I must admit. Having said that, in the unlikely event of Liverpool reaching the Champions League final, a trip to Kiev will be hard to turn down. I know it’s not Russia, but it’s still unlikely to be a particularly nice trip where we are welcomed by happy smiling locals eager to show us how wonderful Kiev is!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Blaze
                    Participant

makes no sense to go watch in a country beset with all sorts of problems still exercising in deadly espionage charades and probably facing violent receptions. Rather sit in the comfort and relative safety of my home and watch from there. Even if if it was all for free would not consider it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Oz Yob
                      Participant

Brian Blue, being honest mate we aren’t really up to World standards but as you say could well get there. Football has one of if not the highest participation rate of juniors for any sport in the Country these days so we could get there. At the moment though I’m looking at some of the Countries that are a lot better and they aren’t involved it sort of dulls down the quality of the cup if you know what I’m saying.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

Hightown, you would get an amazing welcome in Ukraine, my daughter is a ballroom & Latin dancer and she has many Ukrainian friends & fellow competitors, after meeting them I can only say they are generous,polite and well mannered.They hate the Russians with an intensity that I’ve never before witnessed. Their only negative being the amount of Vodka they shift at any time of the day as you have to drink as well or they take it as an insult. That I can live with, just.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          paul powers tash
                          Participant

Any fan who’s even considered going to Russia has got a screw loose imo.
                            I like your idea Chucky πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

OZ…yes I know what you are saying but you qualified….that, to me means you are good enough. You will not be the worst team there and as I said previously , the experience will do the management and squad a lot of good. In saying all that, I wish all countries would stop going to Russia.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              whoisbeni
                              Participant

Ive done business in Russia and would travel there often – the whole process from even applying for a visa is a joke.

The country is a mixture of interesting and terrifying – the Macho thuggish undercurrent is beyond anything the average English fan has ever seen – they will kill with impunity.

Doing business there was risky enough but I wouldn’t even consider going there with a group of football fans and wearing a big target.

I’d more readily go back to Qatar as a football fan rather than Russia.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Interesting comments Benji… our South American “team” are trying to organize a beano in St Petersburg (it’s about a 6 hour drive from where I am), and knowing I like football that asked me to join them… I passed… πŸ™‚

Even more interesting is Qatar. Not had the pleasure myself but the last time I was in Bahrain, we ended having a debate about it. I personally think there will be more deaths there, a combination of heatstroke, combined with a police force who will shot first and have no idea how to handle a million or so pissed up foot fans who have no idea how the Middle East works. Their solution was a “couple of beer tents” at the time…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  whoisbeni
                                  Participant

Qatar doesn’t worry me too much as they want the tournament as a shop window for tge country so I expect very little problem

Russia on the other hand – I’d stay well away. The guys there are wired totally differently and the authorities will quietly take delight in seeing many English fans in morgues

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chucky McChuckface
                                    Participant

Could be right Benji, but remember Qatar is a “dry” country, their police force has no idea what so ever to do when it comes to dealing with a couple of hundred thousand, if not millions, of lagered up football fans (who in turn will be giving themselves heatstroke and putting medical resources in Qatar under extreme pressure!)… vastly different problems to Russia, granted, but I think potentially even more lethal.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.