Home Community General Football Potential forthcoming rule changes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    threeps
    Participant

The City Spurs game has caused a bit of a stir regarding the “handball” by Llorente, it was suggested that next year there will be a rule change that would mean that goal would definitely not count. I googled about a little and found a few more that have been or are going to be discussed. Please feel free to add your own or pick one of these and moan/applaud where necessary. Would like to point out these come from multiple internet sites and therefore could be in fact a load of rubbish.

* Handballs inside the area. A free kick or penalty will be awarded if:

– the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
      – a player gains control/possession of the ball after it touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
      – the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
      – the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

Having an arm above shoulder height will now be considered an automatic handball.
      There is no offence if:

– the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
      – the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
      – if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)

* There will be no rebounds from penalties. Play will stop for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post, meaning there will be no chance to follow up and score from rebounds, meaning players will no longer need to line up on the edge of the area.

* Substituted players can leave the field anywhere. When a player is withdrawn they will no longer have to leave the field at the halfway line and will instead be permitted to leave the pitch at the nearest point.

* Players can touch the ball in the area after a goalkeeper kicks it out. Until now, players could not touch goal kicks before they exited the box, but now they will be able to.

* Coaches will receive cards again. It has been done in the past, but discipline of coaches changed to simple reprimands or sendings off. Now they are able to receive yellow and red cards much like players.

* No attackers in the wall during a freekick. Attackers must be a minimum of 1 meter away.

* In situations where the ball hits the referee a “drop ball” will be awarded.

* No rebounds from penalties. Spot kicks will either result in a goal if it hits the back of the net or a goal kick if it is saved or hits the wood work. No rebounds, no encroaching, bit like a penalty shoot out.

* No subs in injury time. Trying to prevent time wasting subs.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by threeps.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

Very soon…..players will need a lawyer versed in the game who can confront the referee on behalf of the player to question his ruleing. Then we will need a technical lawyer to understand the strengths and weakness of a VAR ruleing

The game has gone crazy, keep it simple

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

I’m with you, Brian. The game wasn’t broke. It’s beauty is it’s simplicity and quite obviously, that is now going to he’ll in a handcart

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

This is a hell of a lot to get your head round to be fair.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

The technocrats have now got a hold of our game, and what amazes me in these situations is how quickly the pundits/media generally just accept it and deem it as an improvement in the game. As I said last night about the very marginal offside decision in the last few minutes – all the pundits said it was the right call and justice was done. Yet a few seasons ago without VAR, the very same pundits would have said it would have been very harsh to give offside for that and how you could give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. Amazing how such seemingly intelligent people just accept such things so readily and quickly.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

Micky, you can say that too about the pundits who say “he was entitled to go down there” too…

As we’re talking rules, still don’t understand how shielding a ball to let it roll out of play isn’t obstruction and any attempt to retrieve by an oppo player is always given as a free-kick… that’s the one that really grinds my gears (and the one about why LinoPool ALWAYS kick towards to the Kop in the 2nd half! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                threeps
                Participant

I think some of the rule changes will improve the game. For instance the ones about subs going off at the nearest part of the pitch not just the technical area or no subs in injury time. How often do we see a substitution in the 92nd minute and the player is as far away as possible and walks over in slow motion? Kills any momentum and excitement, which is exactly what the winning team wants, but as a neutral or fan of the losing team it infuriated me.

Some I don’t understand the need for. No rebounds from penalties. No attackers in the wall. Why? These worked perfectly ok in the first place.

The handball will cause most debate I’m sure. I think they are trying to make it clearer by saying pretty much everything is handball but safeguarding against attackers deliberately flicking the ball towards the arm, ala Suarez. The whole “close to the body and not made their shape unnaturally bigger” is open to interpretation. To me Llorente’s goal would fall within this category and therefore be a goal, but maybe this only applies to defending teams and penalties. The whole arm in natural position is funny as the most unnatural position is to tuck both of them behind your back!

As said before I cannot be sure if these changes will happen or are pure speculation.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

threeps, they’re not “pure speculation” mate and become effective June 1st

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/football-rule-changes-what-are-the-new-additions-to-2019-20/1nt8llqwfqkje1qe1qbwdct06a

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Pagan
                    Participant

For myself I think football is trying to over complicate itself, we have to remember that the laws of the game should be the same from premier league to grass roots, the hand ball changes in the area will cause so much confusion with younger refs on the park and the abuse they will get will just encourage them to leave the game. Personally I still like the Stuart Pearce view, if the ball hits your hand/arm itโ€™s handball, if your offside your offside, thereโ€™s then no debate or opinion itโ€™s black or white (not sure if you can still use that phrase, sorry if it offends anyone)

The no rebounds change is ludicrous, a penalty in simplistic terms is used to replicate a denied goal scoring opportunity that is lost due to foul play, where obviously rebounds can be put away. The only thing the new law will do is stop the need for the ref to monitor encroaching into the area before the ball is kicked.

Substitutes CAN leave the pitch anywhere, not MUST leave the pitch at the nearest point will not stop players ambling off to the bench, it will however let injured players get off the pitch ASAP.

No subs in injury time, will be interesting to see what happens if thereโ€™s a serious injury to a player especially if itโ€™s a goalkeeper and if itโ€™s in a cup tie that goes to penalties.

Chuckles, you can shield the ball as long as itโ€™s in playing distance, and yes it should be obstruction in any other case, and itโ€™s something that needs to be addressed.

The goal kick change is a positive one as it was a cop out for a defender to touch the ball in the area if under pressure and get he goal kick retaken, will it apply to free kicks as well?

As I said at the start the game is becoming over complicated and the laws are now subject to too much interpretation, which is why every decision is over analysed, itโ€™s a simple game, letโ€™s keep it that way….Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

Maybe the rebounds from Penos isn’t a bad idea as I feel a save made from the Keeper is in vein if he is to lose out on a rebound.

Other stuff like no subs after a certain period of time makes sense to me.

In essence I’m happy with the odd tweaks, but like a few of rightly expressed, I wouldn’t want the game completely sanitised or made robotic.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        threeps
                        Participant

Think they’re scrapping the away goal next season, anyone confirm that?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Pagan
                          Participant

Mr. Balance,

No rebounds gives the advantage to the defending team not the team that has been wronged, so that to me is wrong.

As for no subs, Liverpool in a cup final having gone to extra time have their goalkeeper injured in time added on in injury time and have to go into the penalty shoot out without a goalkeeper. Youโ€™d be happy with that then?

For me other than the goal kick change I think itโ€™s a step in the wrong direction…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            threeps
                            Participant

You raise an interesting point pagan about the subs in injury time will be interesting when that situation occurs. Or theres a contingency plan purely for subbing keepers.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Mikus LFC
                              Participant

One canโ€™t help but wonder if all these changes will cause teams to have to raise their games. Let me explain what I mean by that. If these kinds of decisions like handball are more readily given, they do arguably help the underdog more by giving them a big opportunity to get back into the game or even win it – particularly if a match is delicately poised between a big team and a lesser team – will the big team start going for it more in the future?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Already a thread with some debate Stevo.

Is the pressure getting to you.?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Tugay is God
                                  Participant

* There will be no rebounds from penalties. Play will stop for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post, meaning there will be no chance to follow up and score from rebounds, meaning players will no longer need to line up on the edge of the area.*

This is not true and is not a rule change.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.