Home Community Chelsea Petr Cech to be Chelsea's new Sporting Director?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

According to Sky Sports News. Great news if true. Seems like Roman might be getting his mojo back!?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Please explain why this is great, even for the die hards, or why Roman is getting his “mojo” back?

Cech was a very decent goalie, don’t get me wrong, and the sort of player most fans of most clubs like as he isn’t a dick (even if he did play for Chelsea and the Goonies, which does kinda make him a dick! πŸ™‚ ), but it’s nothing but a gamble with some decent PR attached to it for the first 6 months…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Chelsea need an intelligent football person with gravitas on the Board Cech fits that brief perfectly and he’s a Club legend.

Roman seemed to have taken his eye off the ball recently this is the first sign from a Chelsea fans perspective that he might be getting his eye back on the ball. ?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

Good News, Well Done and Good Luck to both Chelsea and Petr Cech.

We have an industry of Mass Pundits and fewer venturing into something else albeit coaching and Management. Sporting Director is a different avenue altogether, and I’m hoping for Cech, the right level of training and support is there.

Generally speaking, the Football Industry needs to do more to offer players information, advice and guidance on what they can do after Professional Football.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

I think “club legend” status is considerably overused by fans when a club legend takes over a completely different role in a club. Just because he’s liked, doesn’t mean he’s going to be good at a new job!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Cech’s a well-liked well received professional in my eyes. He was truly number 1 and part of one of the best Chelsea Teams circa 2004-05, and 2005-06. He should be a Club Ambassador in my view.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Nil, Sporting Director is a much bigger role for him and he has always had a great relationship with Roman in fact it was that relationship that got him is move to Arsenal against Jose’s wishes if you remember.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Chucky,come on mate if Club legend fits any player it fits Petr Cech.

But you’re right he will be judged on the job he does from this Summer and not his achievements as a Chelsea player.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Nike19
                    Participant

Nine, wasn’t aware of the mate, but I’m truly glad for Cech he’s been given this great opportunity. You’re right too about the possibility of a feel-good-factor reignited into the Club.

If Sarri does leave, would the Club bring back Lamps or would that be too soon?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

That’s a really good question Nil.

There are lots of rumours circulating personally I think Frank needs a bit more time but if the transfer ban sticks and we have to strengthen the squad via our best young players and that might become a future strategy for the Club too then probably Frank and Jody would be the ideal pairing.

To be honest I think despite question marks against Sarri it would be tough on him to sack him given a 3rd place finish and 2 Cup Finals but hand on heart I’m not sure he’s the right man for Chelsea and I’ve only ever felt that way over Avram Grant.

A key part of Frank to Chelsea in the Summer might imo be whether Frank himself feels ready for the role now too.

But will Sarri go and if he does there are one or two interesting possible alternatives other than Frank personally I think it might be a bit too soon for him but I wouldn’t rule it out.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

“Great news if true”

I would also seriously question how this is great news. It’s no good to have a sporting director in there who doesn’t know how to do the job. Chech’s career so far has not prepared him for negotiating with clubs and players, or directing the scouting team etc.

For this to be anything but a disaster, he’ll have to be a natural. What are the odds of that? Pretty unlikely.

Lampard as a manager at least have some chance of turning out to be a good appointment.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

Puppy, you miss read that completely, my post at 9:04.

I meant it amuses me when a club legend (any club, any legend) takes on a completely different role in a club and fans get all “wound-up” about it based on his playing days. Being a “legend” is the only reason these players ever get these jobs… nothing to do with actual ability…

He might be great, who knows, but it’s nothing other than a gamble with decent PR for the fans…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Chucky, of course untried in the role but he brings bags of football experience to the role and frankly I would rather he was making decisions on player ins and outs at Chelsea rather than Marina who might be a great negotiator but is not a football person.

Importantly he also has a very good relationship with Abramovich and will have his ear. From the perspective of Chelsea fans is everything we wanted and needed in that role which has been unfilled for almost 18 months.

Also importantly it’s almost certainly an Abramovich appointment which points to his hands being back in the tiller.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Chucky McChuckface
                              Participant

That’s one way of looking at it, does tick a lot of “optimistic” boxes… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

“I would also seriously question how this is great news. It’s no good to have a sporting director in there who doesn’t know how to do the job. Chech’s career so far has not prepared him for negotiating with clubs and players, or directing the scouting team etc.”

My reply to that: who’s made the decision to appoint Cech in this role? Have they just done this out of a whim with their eyes closed? Or does he really need business credentials?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  sean the sailor
                                  Participant

Cech is a Chelsea legend. Cl abd ninerous trophies. Best keeper in the play one stage aswell

Bizarre time for this to come out considering he will probs be in goal in the final?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chucky McChuckface
                                    Participant

Guys, was never suggesting he wasn’t a legend (even if it was Chelsea and Goonies!)…

Saying just because HE IS A LEGEND, doesn’t mean he’s going to do a superb job in his new role!

Are we clear now??!?!?!?!? πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

It will be a Roman decision Nil. Which is also good news imo. Cech has got a great background in football at Club and international level he knows how the Club works he’s very intelligent and enjoys a good relationship with Roman.

Cech lacks experience in doing the role but he can grow into it.

It may not work out Pep and ZZ might not have worked out when Barca and Real appointed them as Managers but Cech is a lot more than we’ve got in the Boardroom already providing much needed football nous which is something that’s been badly missing at Board level at Chelsea for a long while.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Nine, I’ve not seen this sort of appointment in Football mate, so I don’t really know. My whole thing was to look at it for all the reasons or good points outlined on here for Somebody Very Credible to take up an opportunity and be supported as far as Training, Technicalities and Processes involved.

Cheers

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Anonymous

Nine, all respect towards you when I say this but I think you’re not seeing this correctly. You see a legend going into an important role but this guy has no idea how to do this job.

You will question that statement but it’s entirely true. His experience as a footballer has prepared him for about 5% of that job, at best. Honestly , it’s a completely different skillset.

I would be furious if Gerrard were given that role at Liverpool. To me, it says that the people above him don’t know enough about things on their level to make these choices. The Chelsea board have got to go, if they want to perform on the level that they used to.

I see man Utd and Chelsea becoming less significant over the next few seasons. You can’t make awful choices like this and expect to keep up with the other 4. They will be left behind and a new big 4 will form.

Unless they correct this at the right levela nd fire the people making these totally stupid decisions.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.