Home Community General Football Overseas TV Dosh…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

I see from certain reports there are rumblings from certain so-called “big-dogs” in the Prem about what they perceive as an unfair distribution of overseas TV dosh, with the suggestion that it should be shared out on a more performance related scale than the current equal distribution.

Personally, I think the “big-dogs” are just being bloody greedy again (and I include my own mob in that!) and any moves to create a more “financially tiered” Prem would simply be shooting the golden goose.

Leave it alone and keep the Prem as competitive as possible please! That’s what makes it so great!

The “big-dogs” already have enough advantages as far as I’m concerned.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

The overseas money is driven by the top clubs with the most overseas fans tuning in to their games so there is imo some merit in what they are saying and it would reflect how the home based monies are already distributed.

It wont happen though it needs a vote with a majority of 14 and Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Agree with the “merit” point, but I’m personally against anything that could help widen the gap between the top and the bottom of the table. Don’t the likes of ManCity/Chelsea already have enough advantages over the likes of Huddersfield/Arsenal?

But you’re right, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Mikus LFC
          Participant

Chelsea were awarded £151 million in prize & TV money for winning the league last season. Liverpool, for finishing 4th….were awarded £146 million. Not a huge difference is it? Whilst I agree it may on the surface seem to create a more playing field, from an ownership / investment point of view – where is the incentive to go for the title if the reward is only an extra £5 million? Football clubs are now businesses, and in business you need incentives to drive forwards. I think this has proved a particular problem for foreign owned teams like Arsenal whose owners have little actual presence at the club but are quite happy to count their chips from afar whilst the club stagnates.

Source for figures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40125394

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

Far more annoying would be the Micky Mousers getting more for 4th than my Spuds did for 2nd!! 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Mikus LFC
              Participant

What can I say Banjo? – we’re a popular club 🙂

On a more serious note, I take the point – at least it’s not as bad as Formula One where Ferrari get a huge ‘heritage’ payment for the simple fact they are Ferrari.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Give ’em time Mikus, I’m sure clubs that were huge in the 70’s might pick-up on the the idea of heritage, or dare I say history, payments! 🙂

On a more serious note (LOL), I’m totally against anything the expands the gap between the haves and the have-not’s.. for years we had the SKY 4 ruling over the roost, and anything that hints back to those days I like about as much as pickled onions on my doughnut.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Mikus, you need to separate TV monies from prize money obviously Chelsea’s prize money was greater than Liverpool’s because Chelsea won the PL title and Liverpool finished 4th and including the prize money in the overall figure total as you have skews the overall figure.

But Liverpool actually earned more than Chelsea from TV monies than Chelsea despite Chelsea winning the PL title and Liverpool finishing 4th which was because Liverpool had more games transmitted live on TV.

How come some might say. ?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

Nine, if you refer to my link above, Chelsea did win £5 million more in prize money, but the TV money was about the same as Liverpool. So in total, Chelsea walked away with about £5 million more. You can obviously see a bigger step change in terms of total TV & prize money after the top 6 clubs because their TV appearances are much lower. The step change isn’t huge though between Man Utd & Everton – around a 9.2% drop by my rough calculation. I think we can obviously say the premier league is more competitive now because the TV money is still pretty good and thus the teams lower down can spend quite a bit more money than they used to. My concern would be more against owners who can now sit in the top 6 and enjoy a total revenue (TV & prize money) which, at worst, is just 6% lower than what the champions get – there is an argument to try and increase some kind of incentive there. Arsenal is a prime example.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Mikus there’s something not quite right imo about a team finishing 4th earning more TV money than a title winning team and only £4.7m less in total prize money and TV revenues than the PL Champions when finishing 4th 16 points behind the title winners.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Big Jim
                        Participant

One of the problems with tv companies choosing games to televise is that it self perpetuates the popular clubs. There was some stats on the amount of times Utds cup ties have been screened consecutively last year. It was ridiculous. A balance has to be struck and personally I do not think a tv deal that is going the way of laliga a with Barca and RM hoovering up nearly all the tv money is a good idea at all. Secondly IMO the club’s should be made to pass some of this revenue on to match going fans. Without the match fans the club’s would simply not exist. Jim

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.