Home Community Liverpool New look Liverpool: What would be our best 11?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

So Phillipe is to be reintegrated back into our squad (at least for the time being??).

We bought the Ox adding onto Solanke and Salah. We already had Mane from last season, and even more established is Adam Lallana.

Our defence is still in need of a boost, but in the meantime, what would make a good starting 11?

I’ll give this a go:

1 Karius
      2 Roberton
      3 Matip
      4 Lovren (could Flanagan be moved to a centre back role? or van Dijk in January?)
      5 Clyne
      6 Milner (Naby Kieta next season!)
      7 Oxlaid
      8 Lallana
      9 Coutinho
      10 Mane
      11 Salah

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

nb, I can’t see any real changes to Liverpool’s current starting eleven other than the confusion as to who will play in goal Oxlade Chamberlain is primarily a squad player and his versatility is useful.

Liverpool are brilliant in forward mode but still remain fragile defensively and until Klopp finds a final solution to his Keeper situation, strengthens the Centre Back area and Keita arrives defence imo will remain their Achilles heel and hamper them from truly competing for the title this season with the Manchester clubs.

From a neutrals viewpoint Liverpool are really enjoyable to watch though.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

I could quite easily see a differing of views 999 on selection which is healthy because we are now in a position where there’s not a ‘default’ first 11. For instance, there’s no Firmino, Sturridge, Can, Henderson, or Wyjnaldum who could quite be placed there.

Though you’re right as far as the defence goes, it’s very much thread bare though I do hope the reintegrating of Jon Flanagan and new signing Andrew Robertson will provide some discipline that is much needed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

nb, I agree Liverpool’s options are stronger now with the likes of Salah and Ox even Robertson.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            nutts
            Participant

The side I’d like to see play this season when everyone is fit

1 Migs
              2 Roberton
              3 Matip
              4 Lovren (or Gomez if he proves himself)
              5 TAA
              6 Can
              7 Lallana
              8 Coutinho
              9 Mane
              10 Firmino
              11 Salah

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Big Jim
              Participant

Nil, I can’t see Liverpool winning too many games with Milner and Chamberlain both starting in midfield. Neither offers enough really. Klopp will surely put one or both on the bench.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

You might be right Big Jim.

I appreciate we can’t hide from the fact we’ve not done incredibly well as far as strengthening the defence goes, though we’ve brought players like for like to bulk up the midfield and attack.

There are reasons to such as being able to manage multiple competitions positively. So when playing midweek in the CL, there is still a good enough first 11 to select and compete in a PL game whatever the opposition.

And we can’t sweep under the rug players who have faced difficulties in sustaining themselves injury-free. Players like Sturridge and Henderson. The negotiated deal with Ox-Chamberlain was so he would be able to play in ‘his’ preferred position. That would suit Liverpool nicely if Henderson was not available for one reason or another.

Solanke too was brought in because we don’t really have a striker beyond Sturridge other than Danny Ings, but I wonder whether he is in Jurgen Klopp’s long-term plans. Origi seems out of favour and thus is out on loan.

Time will tell of course in how the season pans out and whether or not it will be an improvement on the last.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

If we were playing the Champions League final tomorrow (ha!) and everyone was fit (ha again!) this would be my team with subs…

Migs
                    Clyne (just)
                    Robertson
                    Matip
                    Lovren
                    Can
                    Gini
                    Couts (just! Making some assumptions here)
                    Salah
                    Bobby
                    Mane

Subs

Ward
                    TAA
                    Klavan
                    Hendo
                    Ox
                    Lallana
                    Studge

Tough on Gomez Milner and Solanke particularly but there you go!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    J C
                    Participant

Same team as you nutts, except Henderson instead of Can.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Editor
                      Keymaster

JC, Nutts, Hightown, do you all only see Ox as a squad player rather than someone who will get straight in as a starter? I can’t see who he would replace but I’d be surprised if he’s turned down Arsenal and Chelsea for a place on Liverpool’s bench for a lower wage than either of them were offering

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        J C
                        Participant

Good question Editor.
                          He’s versatile and might get a chance at midfield, but we really needed cover for Mane and Salah, and I suspect that’s the main reason he was signed. He won’t get into the first 11 when everyone’s fit right now. But who knows, if Klopp and his staff can improve his fitness (he seems overweight) we might see Ox get back to his old self and challenge for a place in the first 11. But for now he’s third place, behind Mane and Salah, in our winger pecking order.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Editor
                          Keymaster

Yeah I think Liverpool really suffered last season when Mane wasn’t available. Ox’s versatility will be a huge asset. Although I’ve never been convinced by him playing centrally, at least he’s comfortable there. As you say though, he provides much better back up for the likes of Mane than you’ve had previously.

With the amount of games the CL clubs have to play, I often wonder if there is such a thing as a first choice XI anymore. They’ll all get plenty of games I reckon.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nutts
                            Participant

I think with us playing on 4 fronts this season, there’s the potential for the first 16 to get a lot of starts. I don’t think Ox will start many big PL games, but he may start him for some cup games and CL games.

But a lot depends on whether Klopp changes his formation for some games (which I don’t think is likely).

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              gingerlfc
                              Participant

I don’t think there’s gonna be a “first 11” as such.
                                Sure there will be players that Klopp trusts/prefers over others but with the amount of games we’re gonna have this season I can see the team being heavily rotated.
                                We’ve seen already changes being made to the team and we’re only 5 games in. Take a look at our fixture pile up from the 18th Nov until the new year. It’s hectic. There will be plenty of changes made depending on injuries, form, comp, home, away etc.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Hightown hope

I totally agree, Ginger, but I’d be interested in your team in the scenario of a Champions League final tomorrowtomorrow with everyone fit and available.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  gingerlfc
                                  Participant

Clynes not even in the CL squad so that rules him out of any CL games in the groups stages.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Hightown hope

Is he nit? I’d missed that! What’s the story there? So come on, give me your starting line-up!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      gingerlfc
                                      Participant

Suppose it would have to be…
                                        Migs, TAA, Matip, Lovren, Robbo, Hendo, Can, Coutinho, ManΓ©, Salah, Firmino.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Don’t want to start a new thread on this, but would greatly appreciate in light of yesterday’s whitewash what defensive line up would Posters choose. Would you include Mignolet or give Karius?

I’m desperate for example, Jon Flanagan to be reintegrated back into the first team even if that means placing him alongside Joel Matip as a Centre-half. Nathaniel Clyne looks as though he’ll be out for quite some time, so Flanagan could play there like he did under Rodgers.

Robertson too should be prioritized ahead of Alberto Moreno, otherwise why has Jurgen Klopp signed him? Baring in mind we don’t have a great deal of defenders in the squad in the first place, I’d bring in Lovren and give Karius another chance so the back four would look something like this:

Karius – Robertson – Lovren – Matip – Flanagan.

Moving onto the Midfield, I would consider playing Ox in the centre along with Can and Milner – drop Henderson and Wijn.

As far as our forward line goes, I’d reintegrate Coutinho to play him on the left, with Salah on the right, and then Sturridge/Solanke as a central striker – drop Firmino.

I’d understand anybody coming forward in disagreement, but just feel a shake up is needed on the back of yesterday’s humiliation.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.