Home Community General Football New Big Ears Proposals

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

I see this one has some more traction in today’s rags…

First major change is seemingly going from 8 groups for 4 with Top 2 going through to the knock out stages to 4 groups of 8 with the Top 4 going into the knockout stages, basically giving all “group” qualifiers 14 group games instead of 6… not too bothered, about that, still have the fun after Christmas with the knock-out games. Perhaps an impact on local leagues, with the big-dogs needing to squeeze in 8 more games, and in my humble opinion, probably end up with a lot of “dead-rubbers”… I’ll say I’ll approve (cause my opinion really counts! πŸ™‚ ) on the basis it could have been a lot worse!!

Second major change, and the one that worries me (and I say this from a purely “fan” perspective) is the new notion that all “qualifiers” are now going to be based on “historical coefficients”, whatever that means!! Sounds like the “big-dogs” on hard times are formulating a way to get themselves back in the game without doing the hard-work (boo.. hiss), and making it a lot more difficult for “little-dogs” to get in. This, I feel, is very bad for the game itself…. (although I must admit I don’t have a great idea on how this system actually works, even if it does smell fishy as fook!)

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

The co efficients are based on the top 32 Clubs performances in Europe over the previous 5 seasons presumably there would have to be an exclusion clause for a Leicester City situation but currently it would preclude a Watford for instance competing in the competition should they finish in the top 4.

Personally I would go even further and only allow Champions League winners to compete in the competition.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

I’ll ignore you’re second comment as I’m trying to be grown-up today…

But as for your first comment, that exact scenario is what worries me. If Watforjd finish 4th, they fully deserve to have a crack at it, and I think it’s highly unfair on them and on football in general if they were kicked out and replaced by a club who “did good” a few years back… getting real tired of “bid-dogs” rigging the system even more than they already have, not good for the game itself.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

I tend to agree with you Chucky but I guess the counter argument is that qualifying teams would be judged over 5 years of their performances in Europe. There are too many minnows in the CL too who have no chance of progressing and this new proposal ups the quality.

I think it might happen though UEFA are running scared of the ECA breaking away and starting their own competition.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

Your reasoning is sound, can’t fault that, but I still think it sucks!

If we’re going to suggest only teams who have a chance of winning it should be in it, then we might as well start from the Quarter Finals onwards… I reckon most of us could pick at least 6 of those 8 teams every year and be spot one!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

No that wasn’t what I was saying but by eliminating the Ludogarets of this world and basing qualification on the Co efficient over the last 5 years of the best performing teams in Europe the overall quality of the CL will increase and it will become more competitive. Of course you’re right about forecasting the last 8 but that with the odd exception applies to all competitions.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Should have worded that differently, wasn’t suggesting you were suggesting as such…

I think they’re far too much seeding in the comp as it is, too much effort in keeping the big-dogs apart until the last 8 as it is. Yes, I understanding their desire for maximize TV and all that, but what they’re doing by walking this path is take away the dreams from millions of fans from dozens of clubs across Europe… we know the likes of Ludogarats aren’t going to win it, but now “we’re” not even letting them have the “chance” to win it, because “billy-bigboots” had a couple of decent runs who knows how long ago and rather than have a 1000/1 shot like Ludogarats, have a 200/1 shot… all waste of time and will only expand the gap between the have and have nots…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Evolution Chucky just like the EC evolved into the CL and the qualification rules changed from just Champions to runners ups and then 3rd and 4th placed teams according to the strength of the Leagues.

This may be the only way UEFA can head off a European Super League as the ECA are do powerful.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Still sucks for the game itself… won’t be long before I’m hanging up my jerseys!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      threeps
                      Participant

Sounds like another stepping stone to the inevitable elitest European Super League for the already super rich and super powerful, where we can all pay obscenely expensive TV subscriptions to watch Neymar and co rolling around every week. If this happens I’ll join you Chucky in hanging up my jersey, if I indeed had one.

But going back to what you wrote, are you saying that it will just be the same participants every year, based on how successful/much money they can make at the moment? So the rich get richer and the poor, well who cares about the poor right? Read somewhere something about promotion and relegation, and weekend matches, but surely that is a step some time in the future towards to the inevitable?

If they are going to do it historically I think they should not be so selective on the era, so that England’s four representatives will be Liverpool, Man Utd, Nottingham Forest and a toss of a coin between Chelsea and Aston Villa.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

I’d be curious to know what the latest viewing figure estimates are for the CL in this country. They were reportedly significantly down a few years back after BT bought the rights, and I can’t imagine they’ve got much better. Another crazy situation where the clubs, managers, players, governing bodies, etc, get richer on the gravy train, but the fans get poorer.

I see the Bayern chairman now bemoaning such things. Will anybody listen? Or is everyone too busy counting their money?

https://www.soccerex.com/insight/articles/2019/bayern-chairman-wants-champions-league-back-on-german-fta

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

Viewing figures are a big problem for UEFA re TV viewing figures in England BT paid the money but can’t provide the viewing figures and that hits UEFA because their sponsors aren’t getting sufficient exposure on BT.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

Certainly Villa then… (shite, forgot I was being grown-up today! πŸ™‚ )

PPP… you can borrow one of mine to hang-up, bought plenty over the years!

Micky… that’s what it’s all about, the green stuff in the bank account… I personally don’t watch any group games (unless it’s Spuds) until it’s a “do or die” moment in the last couple of rounds, which they’re aren’t many as all the “big-dogs” have already qualified. And I think that will only get worse with 4 groups of 8…

I do wonder what it would actually take for the Golden Goose (no relation, Lucy!) to finally choke on it’s own greed…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

Would Watford do much worse than United & Arse have done recently???

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Mikus LFC
                                Participant

Carragher had some interesting ideas some years ago about trying to make every game mean something, in the CL, not that this would ever happen now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243238/Jamie-Carragher-Champions-League-needs-change.html

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Re what Carragher said that’s what the ECA proposal is all about Mikus upping the standard of the CL so the Group games are more meaningful. Improving the quality can only be good for the competition the downside is that it kills off the dreams of Clubs like Watford making it into the CL and I think the proposal needs a bit more work to see how that problem can be overcome somehow. But the Clubs in the ECA must have voted for this proposal and that would include the top 6 PL Clubs plus Everton, Fulham and Newcastle.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

I am actually confused:

How does it differ in terms of qualifying changing our current format of 8 groups of 4, to 4 groups of 8?

As for the rest, I can’t make any sense of it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

PL Clubs allegedly against it although the 9 PL Clubs on the ECA would have had a vote plenty of water to flow under the bridge before 2024.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.