Home Community General Football Man City V Liverpool CL Leg 2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ok, seriously.

The tie is not over but Liverpool are in a very strong position. What can be said about this that hasn’t been said already? The first leg wasn’t exactly what we expected in both result and performance. Who would have expected Liverpool to defend so well?

Nine, you and other said that the tie could swing on whether or not Liverpools defence were up to the job. We all know Liverpool can score but we might be without Salah for the return leg, so that statement is even more relevant than before.

I get the feeling that if our team list goes out before the match and it hasn’t got Salah on it, City will gain a lot of encouragement and belief from this. If i were Klopp, i’d put Salah on the bench even if he can’t use him. I’m sure you’ll all disagree with that but the psychological element of it is more valuable than having Solanke there only to go unused.

Our best line of approach in general though is to change nothing from our game plan though, which is nice. We need to get at them and put them under intense pressure, for the entire first 60 minutes. I think we’ll need a goal to kill off any ideas of a comeback. The nerves will not be good if City score first but we have to have the mental steel if we are ever to win any good competition. This is just another challenge on the way to number 6, if the lads want it enough.

I think Liverpool will score and go through. who knows what the score line will be though.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      whoisbeni
      Participant

First goal is the critical factor. If city score then itโ€™s panic stations.

Itโ€™s far from over. City could put four past us in 15 mins – and we are bad enough for that to happen.

I reckon Salah and Robertson will be fit – be interesting to see how Gini replaces Henderson – as we need to hold the ball better in midfield than we did in the first leg. We let city have far too much of the ball in the second half.

We couldnโ€™t have done much more in the first leg but we knew it would take massive performances in both legs to stand a chance against City.

I hope we push hard for an early goal

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

Is Can definitely out? I’d play him if he’s fit.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

I think Liverpool will probably do enough to go through but it’s far from over. At 16/1 to win the CL, City are quite a tempting price. Win this one and you wouldn’t bet against them going all the way. City can definitely score 3 but it’s keeping Liverpool out which will be the problem.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            whoisbeni
            Participant

Iโ€™m told heโ€™s out – whatโ€™s your source saying HH, you used to be the man in the know

Iโ€™d play him if fit over Gini

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Gini when on form is great at holding onto the ball without slowing play down. henderson gives it away needlessly and can be a bit of a liability sometimes but he’s one of our most experienced players and our Captain, so it is a shame we don’t at least have the option to play him. A big big game from Milner would be very welcome though.

Wijnaldum played well the last day and will have gotten a bit of match sharpness from it, so I’ll be semi hopeful that we can get a performance out of him.

I’m nervous enough here that you’d swear we were going into it having lost the first leg. I guess that feeling only goes away when we completely remove the image that we’re a team who crumbles.

During the first leg, Klopp was going nuts at the start of the 2nd half cause the players werent able to maintain the high pressing game, or keep the ball. Defending like that is one thing at Anfield but we’ll have to make sure to not slip into that kind of mode at the Etihad, we’ll wilt like crazy if we do and they score.. . . and you know they will score.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                sean the sailor
                Participant

Agree with Beni, we concede early then we might crumble

Nervous as feck about this. We have just ducked so many times over the years

Such a massive game.

Itโ€™s the perfect position for us to be but we need to start well.

I just hope Salah and Robertson are fit

Jesus I havenโ€™t been this nervous teo days before a game in a longtime

If any team can pull 3 goals back itโ€™s city

Iโ€™m just waiting for us to throw this away and Iโ€™ll pronise if we get through, the negativity stops and Iโ€™ll have much more belief in us

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

Sean, I was incredibly nervous before the first game. That for me was the most apprehensive that I’ve been before a Liverpool match in years. I include the Europa League final, by a mile too. The Champions League is my favourite competition. Well, the PL would be amazing to win but I just don’t have the same belief that we can as I do in the CL, if that makes sense.

I just can’t get over how a 3-0 win carried into this match doesn’t really help a whole lot with my frame of mind here. I should be fairly relaxed but I’m not. Yes, we’ll most likely go through, a 3-0 win is huge regardless of any teams ability.

You know, I don’t like betting against Liverpool but I may place a 10er on Man city to go through just so I have something to make me feel better if we get knocked out , cause I tell you.. that’ll just be a gutshot if it happens.

All mocking and banter with City aside, they have the PL to win any time they want, this is our season right here. it’ll carry on or end with a bad performance.

As far as we’ve gone into the CL though, I think we’ve made a good step forward under Klopp again this season. If we make the semi’s that is nothing but a total success in my mind. If you had offered me a CL semi final and a top 4 finish at the start of the season, I’d have snapped your hand off for it, so let’s hope the lads can just bring it home now and have our name in the draw along with the big 3 of Europe.

We need Salah and Robertson fit. Is it just me or is it a little worrying that Klopp isn’t giving much away there?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

I mirror the Ed’s views on this one.

I think City will need to score in the first 10/15 mins to put some pressure on Liverpool then I could see them going on to score 3 to level it.

The big problem for City is whether they can keep Liverpool out after conceding 6 goals in the last two games if they score early on and keep a clean sheet we might get a real contest but Liverpool are still massive massive favourites to progress and a fit Salah could be very important to them on Tuesday.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Hightown hope

Beni…my sources for team selections etc finished the day Lucas left for Italy!

I really hope Can is fit. I’d have Can, Milner and Ox playing if available. Just feel that Can, when on his game, gives us something none of the others do. I think the rest of the team picks itself assuming everyone is fit. But we need something on the bench, and by that I mean I want Klavan, Moreno, Clyne, Gini, Ings and Solanke all there as well.

I’m in a dilemma as well. I live in Manchester and don’t have BT Sport. Big work day the next day so can’t go back to Merseyside to watch it. Pub full of City fans and then me and my kids! Doesn’t bode well!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Nike19
                        Participant

Well, just got back from my local and the good gent behind the bar who is a Liverpool fan is a lot confident than I am as he believes we’ll score 2! ๐Ÿ™‚

He also mentioned the prospect of City scoring 7 lol ๐Ÿ˜€

I fully agree in context of thoughts on here so far; that 10-15 opening spell will be defining as of the tail end of the game too.

I’m not sure whether this was the Champions League or at the time the Carling Cup, but I watched such a wonderful game of football on tv against Chelsea and we got knocked out on the return leg. I can’t quite remember the circumstance, but I think it could have been the season with Craig Bellamy.

Oh the whole, I feel these are the 2 best teams in the Prem that play the best football that’s done England proud.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Nike19.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          sean the sailor
                          Participant

Can is out for tue and this sat

Rumour are could be for the rest of season

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

Wait, you knew Lucas?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

Well, happy on the whole from waking up and I have a good feeling about tonight;

as long as we’re not complacent, and we treat this as a new game altogether giving a wholehearted application, then I’d otherwise already be proud of how far this club has come over the last 12 months.

Our transition from recent years from a bigger picture for me sees improvement. Sure, there’s going to be bumps, but when you get knocked out of the cup uncharacteristically, don’t be on the phone calling for the Manager’s head when only 2 league games at the time have been lost against 2 good teams all season.

Stick it with it. Our challenge is holding on to the very best players, and then building a squad around them and for the future.

I believe everybody will be switched on and wont drop their guard. If anything, I can definitely see Ederson beaten between the sticks at least once if not twice and we’ll come good.

COME ON THE REDMEN!!!!! YNWA

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Anonymous

KLOPP OUT.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

I’m with Beni. First goal is crucial. City score early and get at Liverpool it could get very interesting, but if Liverpool score one then City will need a miracle. Tough decision for Klopp on how to set up.

If City are 1-0 up going into the last ten minutes then they could still get the draw if they manage another goal – it will be desperate stuff but football throws up this sort of thing all of the time.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

Alfie, I can just see us messing up tonight

I havenโ€™t been this nervous about a match in years. Itโ€™s the thought of severe disappointment that is killing me

Logically we can only feck this up ourselves but we have done it so many times in the past. Thatโ€™s my only reason for doubting us

Since Rafa left,itโ€™s been mostly disappointment after disappointment

Go through tonight and I will be much more positive for the future but I see us buckling under the pressure

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

The team need to forget that they are winning, Klopp will be drilling this into their heads all week. Go out there and fight to win on the day and we have the best chance of going through into the semis.

Looking forward to this match, there is one thing that I’m reminded of whilst watching the last one. Even though TAA held Sane off (incredibly well), I couldn’t help but be memorized by Sane’s quality. We’re going to need another brilliant game from TAA but I wonder if we’re not asking too much of him? City are at home now, so could we see an even better effort from Sane this time?

This kind of scenario will be happening all over the park on a lesser scale. You even saw the change in the match when Guardiola corrected his mistake. True we had already lost Salah by then but there were no goals for us from there on.

We did keep them from having a single effort on goal for the 90 which says a lot.

But ya, we need to get at them, get int heir faces. Really, we need to invest 90 minutes of football into the first 45 and if we score 1-2 then we can sit back in the 2nd half.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        sean the sailor
                                        Participant

Maybe we were so defensively strong because Salah was off? He doesnโ€™t help out the full bavk to much? Just a thought

I really hope he starts

Everyone thinks we will score tonight but everyone thought city would score last week

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          sean the sailor
                                          Participant

The stick we will get if we fold. It be the same old Liverpool plastered everywhere on the media. We need to show we are not bottlers

We have seen much bigger come backs then city have to come back from tonight. They are well capable of doing it

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 247 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.