Home Community Liverpool Liverpool V Man City – CL – Wed 19:45

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I tried to create this post yesterday on my phone but I guess I didn’t complete the process…

Anyway, we’ve said it before and I’ll have to say it again because the match is almost upon us. This is the tie that neither team wanted. As a Liverpool fan I’d literally have preferred anyone else instead of Man City for a variety of reasons. I feel a little cheated for this to be a quarter final and you know, you come to the CL to play the best outside the PL. Never mind that Man City are (in my opinion) the best team in the world right now.

As for City, I think they won’t have wanted us because we’re the only team who can stand up to them. It’s a bit weird making that claim after they’ve beaten us 5-1 this season but as has been widely talked about, we were in that game until Mane got sent off.

The press love an under-dog and it does help when they already love the character in charge, Klopp. People will just have to accept that there will be a certain amount of lauding over what Klopp has done for our team and the praise that our attack gets. Salah is equaling, breaking and catching up to new records with each match now it seems.

As Salah’s star rises higher and higher, teams will be focusing more on shutting him down and not thinking about it as a trio that they have to deal with, so we’re going to need Firmino and Mane on absolutely top form if we’re to beat City. We’re going to need our defence to get back to the solid-ish unit they were before the Utd game if we’re to have any chance at all. Who do we play next to Van Dijk? It’s a tough call because both Matip and Lovren have been absolutely s*** lately. TAA’s confidence has not recovered after the Utd match.

So how do we setup? Do we try and keep De Bruyne quiet? I don’t think so. I don’t think it can be done without sacrificing too much. I think we’ll do best by trying to play our game, it kinda counters Man City’s style anyway and if our lads turn up, we’ve got a chance.

The team I’d play:

Karius
      TAA – Lovren – Van Dijk – Robertson
      Oxlade – Milner – Wijnaldum
      Salah – Firmino – Mane

I know that midfield won’t be what we’ll see. Henderson has been particularly dreadful the last few matches though, please just no. Can, it’s just hard to know which Can will show up and he’s coming back from a slight injury. I’ve left him out because he’s a little slow for what we need but the odd time he’s unplayable. Wijnaldum is not having the best season and has been poor of late but he fits into what is required, if he’s on form.

I think Klopp will have both Can and Henderson starting though.. anyway, this is long enough now jesus.

It’s a game for anxiety and neutrals. May the best team win.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

That’s probably the sort of line up I’d go for Mak, but instead of Wijn, I’d pick Jordan Henderson.

Believe it or not, he is a key component and a heartbeat of that line up in his own unique way.

As far as they go, I believe they’ll try to exploit us on the flanks, and little pockets in and around the penalty area. They’ll be looking for gaps.

We would probably have to bide our time sitting deep and closing them down quickly surrounding red shirts.

What’s good about this though is that we know we have the ability to turn defence into attack quickly and we’ve got the quality to make something happen.

Obviously, we don’t want to concede anything, and I believe a hard fought victory like a 1-0 or a 2-0 would be a decent effort and lead to take to the Ethiad.

A big ask though, but I believe we do genuinely have it in us the see the tie through overall.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Big Jim
        Participant

Attack attack attack! Haha.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

As somewhat neutral, I admire the optimism the Pool lads have, but I can’t see anything other than a City in the semi’s… one Dyk doesn’t make a summer, Pool still have certain ??? over their defense and City are on fire. I see an aggregate of something like 7-2 I reckon.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Anonymous

Chucky, as much as I think we have the potential to beat City, that scoreline absolutely could happen. I said it when the draw came out that both teams have the capability to batter the other. If you look at who has the more complete side though, yes it’s City. If I came across as making it sound like I expect us to go through, that wasn’t what I was going for. I think City are favourites but not by a huge margin. I see it being 60-40 to them to go through.

Nil, I don’t think we should sit back at all. It’s just my opinion but I think if you sit back against them, they will utterly destroy you. We have to play to our strengths and get right at them from the first minute. When we have the ball, we need to play with as high a tempo as this team is able to play. When they have the ball, we need to implement and sustain the geggen-pressing in order to disrupt their build up play.

This really is the only reason (along with our front 3) that we have any chance at all against them. The tie is in our hands. I think if we show up in our best form, we will beat them and if you look across the PL, I don’t think there is another team who can make this claim against Man City. Again I ma saying this because our style is a direct counter to their strengths, not that we’re the 2nd best team in the league. The table says otherwise.

So really, Man City could put 7 or 8 past us across both legs but we can do the same to them. The team that is in form will win and maybe by a huge margin on Wednesday. Honestly, it could be 5-1 to either team after this game alone.

First goal is massive. The atmosphere is massive.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Mak, I do get where you’re coming from mate on the point of Gegen. The principles meaning that we trying and keep possession as much as possible in their half by winning the ball quickly if lost.

My only reservation is the athleticism we’re able to sustain over the course of 90 mins.

I only wish at this moment in time, we had a stronger bench to turn to, so that’s my only honest underlying doubt.

Cheers

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Nike19.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

The key to who progresses from this tie probably lies with how Liverpool cope with City defensively if they can remain defensively solid across both legs they have the players offensively who can hurt City.

I think TAA might be the key and I can see Pep overloading City’s left side where they are akready strong to play on TAA if not in the first leg certainly at the Etihad the alternative would be to play Clyne but he’s well short of any match practice and it would be a gamble by Klopp.

If Liverpool can take a 2 goal lead to the Etihad they will be in with a real chance of going through although I think both sides will still be in the tie at the end of the first leg where I predict a draw or a narrow Liverpool victory possibly 2-1 which would set the 2nd leg up nicely.

May the best team go through I’m licking my lips at the prospect of these two games across 8 days. Shame one team has to go out at this stage of the CL.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

I’m so buzzing for this game, but like you, Mak, I make City the marginal favourites, and there is a real danger that the tie could be over after this first leg. Where I do disagree with you is with your line-up. I’d risk Clyne, and in midfield I’d have Can, Ox and Milner.

Clyne is obviously a risk with his lack of football, but Trent is just getting caught too often at the moment, and City do have the best left winger in the Prem. I’d tell Clyne not to worry too much about supporting the front players offensively, but just never take his eye off Sane – stick to him like glue. Milner, just in front of him can give him some help. If Clyne can’t last the full 90, then depending what the score is, then make changes.

In midfield I just think Can is our best bet, assuming he is fit, and on that basis he has to play. Gini is woeful at the moment, and Hendo is only marginally better. Ox is more dynamic, and will give their midfield something to think about.

My prediction for Wed is 2-2, but it really could be anything! Just know that work over the next 2 days is going to come a poor second to the game. Getting there early…it’s going to be bouncing, though unlike the other great nights at Anfield I’ve been to, because it is only the first leg, it won’t have quite the intensity and drama of St Etienne, Olympiakos, Chelsea in ’05 and Dortmund. All those games were s**t or bust, this one, in theory at least, isn’t.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

“My only reservation is the athleticism we’re able to sustain over the course of 90 mins.”

It’s not really possible to do it for an entire 90 minutes but there will be times in the match where we are slower with our build up play to give our lads a breather. They will have to dig deep though and I find that Milner is a 100% kinda guy. He’s not the quickest but he gives everything and the others will have to follow suit.

Nine, can’t find fault in that. TAA is the weakness for us defensively. We need him to get back to form. He’s put in some fantastic performances for us this season, especially going forward , so we’ll need him back at his best to have a chance.

As for them overloading on that side, I’m not sure what we can do about it besides maybe playing Milner in midfield on that side to help where he can. Honestly, I’d nearly be tempted to play Milner at RB and TAA on that side in midfield haha. I’m not sure if that experiment would go well and I dunno if this is the time to tinker on that level, so we can forget that.

But Nine, I don’t see our defence being strong enough to hold City back. I think our defending must be done higher up the field. We’ve got to break them down before they build up and then we have to score the resulting chances.

Hightown, I can see why you’d want to risk Clyne I really really do but I still wouldn’t do it. We know TAA is a defensive liability ATM but he’s just brilliant at supporting our attacking play. We know this is the case. What we don’t know is that Clyne will be any better defensively than TAA due to his extended time out but he certainly won’t be any good going forward. As for Milner ahead, yes I see we came to the same conclusion on this one and it is the best option for me.

the midfield that I picked isnt anything that I’d have an argument over anyway because I’m a little unhappy with a number of our midfielders contribution so far. I didn’t expect that my choice of Wijnaldum would be a popular one but I picked him because if he hits form, we’ll hold the ball much better in midfield (when under pressure) and he’s very much able to play the high tempo football that we need, where-as Can just isn’t.

If I make a prediction it’s going to be based on an in-form Liverpool, so I could be way off here but I’ll say 4-1 to us. If we’re good/lucky enough to get that, I still don’t think the tie is over. Far from it.

I wish the match would just happen already though, seriously.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

I’m not very optimistic Chucky but I never am

I’m just going to enjoy it as I fully expect us to go out simply because we can’t defend. Vvd has made a difference at defending set plays but we are still making the same mistakes. Absolute maddness to play taa ahainest Sané

City could tear us apart and they will score at Anfield. We will get chances and we have to take them. Let’s be honest, city are one of the Favourites for the cup. They are the complete team now. Their defense has improved bigtime from last season and otemidi is like a new player.

Tie could be over wed. I am very negative simply because we can’t defend. We make to many mistakes. Palace should have had 3 on sat

Winji is playing shite but plays well in big games. If can is fit he has to start. I really am expecting nothing from this tie as we don’t learn from our mistakes.

After utds two goals it’s crazy we were outdone with the same tactic twice in the first 11 mins v palace. Surely everyone knew palace and zaha would target taa?

So please I’ll take sll the criticism for my negativity but I’ve given my reasons. City are better in midfield and defence. If we are stupid enough to not follow Silva’s runs then we deserve fuck all.

Everton just let him run free on sat and he ran amuck

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        sean the sailor
                        Participant

Also will city play like they always do?

In 2013 Munich beat Dortmund 3-0 by going long. Maybe pep will change tactics to stop our pressing Game??? Interesting

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

Sean, I’m not expecting a win either. I am hoping for one and think we can do it if we are on form. I don’t think you’re being negative, you’ve named our weaknesses, that are real. I don’t see City playing long because I think Pep will want to play to his strengths, which is what klopp will want to do.

Don’t write us off though. We’re awesome on our day.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Nike19
                            Participant

I definitely agree with the point of being able to slow it down and be able to dictate play at our own pace. We should effectively be able to boss it on our own patch.

If we play Milner and Hendo as the 2 holding midfielders, or Wijn, then use Ox as the more of the threatening midfielder, we can certainly control the tempo and buy time to recoup.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Liverpool’s strength is their front three they have to try and make it a game that their front three are dominant in against a team like City with the quality of players they have all over the pitch and where the City midfield is very that’s a tough ask.

And although Liverpool were successful at Anfield in the PL game that result probably flattered them a bit and City would probably be reasonably happy with another 4-3 in the belief they would turn that around at the Etihad and if City dominate possesion at Anfield as they did in the PL game with 64% possesion they might make it count this time around.

I really think this tie hangs on how well Liverpool can cope defensively with City and not only at Anfieod but if City aren’t quite on tune, if the atmosphere were to get to City,if Liverpool score first and defensively remain strong this tie could swing in Liverpool’s favour.

Though I really think both teams will still be in the tie going into the 2nd leg at the Etihad.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Doc
                                Participant

Very little from the City supporters. City should win, but they waste a lot of opportunities whereas Liverpool seem to be taking their chances and that could swing the result. I hope there is a decent referee and that Stones is not picked at all!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

I don’t think 4-3 flattered us (from what I remember). If I were to say anything bad about it, we let ourselves down by allowing them back into the game. 4-1 up was it? .. and you could see the players starting to drop away. That’s the collapse that we’ve seen many times now in the last 5 years or so.

This is one aspect that Klopp has smoothed out of our game over the last year (to some point anyway). Before the Utd match we were looking defensively solid. Nine, the reason I am saying that we need to work to our strengths and get at City is because I just feel that City will score. Will it be 1 or will it be 5? I think that largely depends on us pressing from the front and disrupting their build up. As for them having 64% of the ball in the last game, that doesn’t mean much. They are a possession team and although Liverpool can play a possession game, it’s not essential to us at all.

The truth of the matter is though that with Citys insane quality, Liverpool just need to be excellent all over. It’s really frustrating to think of the qualities that Liverpool have and in general I would say that they are really strong qualities, because we have one of the best attacks in the game at the moment. We have the counter style to Citys, or at least Klopp has faired well enough in a head to head with Pep (who else does even ok against him?). It does get to me though in having this worry that all of the development that we’ve seen since Klopp arrived may still not be enough to see us through this hurdle.

That for me is why it’s just irritating that this match had to come “so soon”. I don’t say this suggesting that we’d walk into the semis with anyone else, far from it. . but I’d have taken any other team instead of City. Sure there are teams like Sevilla and maybe Juve who’s style of play might be the counter to ours, so that’s dangerous I guess (only going from what little I’ve heard now).

City just have so much quality. Their technical abilities are unmatched. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a better team, ever.

but another day has passed, we inch closer.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    whoisbeni
                                    Participant

Didn’t flatter us at all

But counts for nothing once the whistle blows – previous results whether flattering or not, or overly influenced by the ref or not, will count for nothing

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Big Jim
                                      Participant

In tbe league at Anfield we made some mistakes and Liverpool capitalised. Ederson had his worst game by far for us. It happens, hopefully it won’t happen tomorrow. I think both sides are capable of making mistakes at the back due to the way they play. United generally make less mistakes but they are far less adventurous.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

Our game-plan is focused around forcing the opposition into making mistakes at the back.

There’s been so much talk of defence and attack, rightly so, there are some serious strengths and weaknesses that warrant discussion but what about the midfield? I think midfield is the only place where you will find Liverpool fans disagreeing with each other regards potential line-ups. I guess this is what happens when you have a decent selection of players to pick from but no stand out stars. I know that we have Keita coming in but I sometimes feel that we need to add someone else in there. A player who will pick themselves. Man City have no such problems

De Bruyne – Gundogan – Silva

All stars, all top players. So as much as we might want to talk about how attacks/defences win these matches, these guys are unplayable most of the time. De Bruyne is rivaling Salah for the Player of the Year. I just don’t think our midfield is anywhere near theirs and is adding Keita to that going to be enough next season? I still think not.

I’ve just depressed the hell out of myself.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          sean the sailor
                                          Participant

I’ve never seen peps teams go long but in 2913 his Munich team did it to stop Dortmund’s pressing.

Be interesting to see if city still play from the back after what happened at Anfield in Jan

I can’t see it myself as that bypasses kdb and Silva who just control Games

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.