Home Community Liverpool Leicester v Liverpool – EFL Cup

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

An overview of this would be that the club hasn’t won a trophy now for 5 whole seasons. There’s supposedly added pressure as Jurgen Klopp enters his second full season to do everything possible in delivering silverware to the supporters.

Leicester will be a tough proposition make no mistake. I just wonder what sort of a line we can expect for tomorrow as I’m aware there’s already a change with the Keeper.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

Solanke and Sturridge should definitely start and would also like to see Jon Flanagan and the Ox.

Surely there is motivation and an opportunity whoever is selected to go out and prove their worth for the next game this weekend.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

Ward

Flanagan, Gomez, Klavan, Robertson

Henderson, Grujic, Wijnaldum,

Oxlade, Coutinho Solanke

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

What on earth is Klavan doing in that team?!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Bright and an impressive start from the Reds. Even with the changes, they look quality; passing the ball well, but significantly strong in retaining possession.

Solanke almost broke the deadlock – pleased with Wijn so far as he’s showing a lot industry and poise to threaten Leicester’s defence.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Nike19.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Should have been a goal up by now. The last part is letting us down – one pass too many maybe.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

Genuinely encouraging half in spite of not being ahead. A lot of the time, we are here discussing some concern about our defenders, but so far tonight, there’s no reason to feel that at all.

In fairness soaking up the possession, our midfielders are supporting the attack than against recent games. I expected more out of Leicester, but have seen very little – Vardy clearly missing for them when trying to find somebody to release the long ball too.

Solanke has been a bright spark for us, but just needs that little bit of luck and something to fall land straight onto his lap. Robertson the most impressive for me in this match up to now.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Oz Yob
                  Participant

Totally dominating but can’t score, I’ve read this script somewhere before. Our depth is obviously a bit better than Liecester & we are really out playing them with what looks to me to be another gear to go to. Hopefully we will finally capitalise on the domination & get a couple.
                    I always want Liverpool to win but this is one competition I wouldn’t be overly concerned if we got knocked out of. IMO we are going to be in 1 hell of a tough battle to finish in the top 4 & that’s what we have to do to progress. As I said though I never want to see Liverpool lose.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Oz Yob
                    Participant

Wow what a terrible second half, should’ve been out of sight by half time. I got told on Teamtalk the goals would be spread around the team & I was wrong to say I thought we needed a 20+ striker because we miss too many chances. I wonder if a few of those have changed their views or think we will still be ok. For all our domination it takes 20 good chances before we score a goal.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

Obviously disappointing to head for an early exit when we should be looking at this as an opportunity to home in on silverware, but I honestly feel it was harsh on us in the turn of the events.

Leicester got their breaks as they only really turned on the screw in the second half.

The problem for us now is that our goals have now dried up.

I couldn’t echo more on the emphasis of a 20 goal man. We have prospects with the youngsters, but they are all the same level and when Mane and Salah (maybe Firmino) are not in the fold we now find ourselves struggle at the other end.

Albeit Klavan, I wasn’t too disheartened with the defence and it was good to see both Robertson and Flanagan.

Going into the game on Saturday, although the pressure on the back of tonight possibly has heightened, I believe we’ll be good enough to grab hold of all 3 points and get back to winning ways.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Hightown hope

Flanagan is sadly Flanagone…a real shame that. Gomez is no more a Premiership quality centre back yet than I am. He may be in the future but nowhere near yet. Don’t get me started on Klavan…a 4th choice centre back at very best. Hendo is a mile away from recapturing his form of 12 months ago, whether it is this chronic foot injury or what, he’s a pale shadow of his former self. Wijn has had ONE good game this season (admittedly a very good one against Arsenal) and I’m still a little unsure what he brings to the team. The Ox was the worst player on the pitch last night by a distance, I like him, I have hopes for him, but he was woeful last night. 2nd worst player on the pitch was Grujic. Last night was a real chance for him to thrive. He had a lot of experience around him, he was playing against a weakened team and he was playing in his favourite position, but he fluffed his lines bigtime and now we won’t see him again till the FA Cup.

On the plus side from last night, I thought Ward generally looked assured both with his feet and his handling, and is a better bet than Karius. Robbo once again showed why we bought him, so please, Jurgen, play the lad regularly. Phil was awesome in the 45 minutes he played, and boy, do we need him right now. Solanke shows real potential as a leader of the line…would have loved him to have scored last night. He reminds me a little of Rashford….maybe not quite as mobile.

Very disappointing overall, and like the Burnley game, a lack of finishing when we were on top cost us, and once we went behind a worrying lack of fight meant that we were never going to get back in the game. Problems there at the moment.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Zk2007
                          Participant

Was at the game yesterday liverpool were pretty decent in the first half . Second half completely awful oxlade Chamberlain I don’t see what he will offer in a central role that he craves out wide he also has no end product I feel 35 million was way over the top considering mahrez was available for 50. I am genuinely concerned about the direction were heading in at the moment but saying that with salah and firmino back on Saturday along with can in midfield I think we will have enough to over come them on Saturday there was no fluidity today but should be better when the first team are back together on Sat.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Hightown hope

Zk…we should have had enough to overcome them last night. Not a full strength team but nor were they. Plenty of full current internationals playing. As you say a good first half but as soon as Phil went off we folded completely

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Liverpool as good as they are in attack mode Klopp still has some defensive issues to solve, personally I think those defensive issues go deeper than just bringing in VVD or De Vrij in January, but I wouldn’t be too worried about last night’s result the weekend game for Liverpool is far more important and the game last night was effectively between two shadow sides.

Always disappointing to go out of a Cup early particularly as the LC was a trophy that Liverpool could very well have won but the plus side is that there will be less games now for Liverpool to play which will lessen the pressures on the squad with the additional CL games which ultimately may well give them a better chance of retaining a top 4 place next this season.

Be very surprised if Liverpool don’t turn this one around and comfortably beat Leicester at the weekend.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Zk2007
                                Participant

Liverpool on paper had a much stronger line-up attacking wise we look good but it’s about putting the ball in the net we are nowhere near clinical enough

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Oz Yob
                                  Participant

Nine I’d be more surprised if Liverpool won this weekend than lost, there is no confidence in the players & I honestly think Klopp is struggling with the pressure & toughness of the EPL. He is no longer the chirpy happy go lucky dude he has been since he arrived. I genuinely think he is struggling to find a way out of this mess we are in. His gengenpressing is failing miserably & the players at his disposal are not up to scratch for how he wants to play. It looks to me like he doesn’t know where to go from here.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Mikus LFC
                                    Participant

We’re a confidence based team because there are no lynchpins/leaders in the side to help us grind out wins if confidence is low. Klopp is obviously quite picky about who comes in and part of me worries that there’s that element of Houllier about him whereby he’ll bring in hungry players ahead of more talented ones (replacing Anelka with Diouf being the prime example). Also I don’t think there’s enough presence at the club from John Henry & Tom Werner because a) they’re obviously trying to run things from across an ocean and b) because I think they think Klopp will take care of everything and they’ve put too much faith in him.

This is a problem with foreign owners – Man Utd got away with it because the brand had already been built. Abramovich, for all the criticism he gets, does seem to be present at the club quite often and knows what’s going on. Contrast the owners of Arsenal & Liverpool – how often do they come over? I’d be curious to know. It’s argued that some owners may be too interfering if they get too close, but that’s a question of the owner themselves and results obviously dictate whether such interference can be worth it. But either way, if an owner buys a club they can only run it properly if they have a strong presence at the club. Leaving it in the hands of other people basically points to it being bought purely as an investment.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

Oz, I don’t think Liverpool are in too much for a mess they’ve had a run of a few disappointing results but on another day they could have easily won yesterday and could have easily won v Burnley and they were excellent v Arsenal albeit a poor Arsenal that day.

Obviously in the midst of a bad run Klopp won’t be as chirpy as he would be were Liverpool in middle of a good run that’s natural and would apply to all Managers.

I do think Klopp needs to get his head around the defensive side of the game philosophically, tactically, organisationally and player wise and doing that may be the thing what ultimately defines his tenure at Liverpool.

I was listening to Dean Saunders on Talksport and he made an interesting point regarding the likes of Mane, Coutinho, Firmino and Salah all being considered great players but not being able to say the same about the Liverpool Keepers and back four.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        sean the sailor
                                        Participant

Nine, Chelsea didn’t comfortably beat Leicester mate. It’s a very tough game and I’d take a draw now. I think we will get out of this little rut but I am very concerned about sat and no doubt vardy will score.

The problem last night is Gomez dropped back instead of pushing out. He kept everyone on. Pathetic defending. Now we are struggling to finish chances.

Some of the shite I’ve heard from so called Liverpool fans is embrassing. They want klopp out. I just don’t understand this. So we sack klopp and get who? We rebuild again and listen to silly excuses about being in transition yet again. Support the manager ffs. We have lost 2 of our last 17 games.

We are having a bad patch. One win and I believe we will kick on. Crisis lol. That’s a joke. First remit was to get into cl groups which we did.we are two points off Chelsea, ahead of atesnal and level with spurs.

Hightown/zk2007, what’s geeking from the match going fans? A mate said he was st Burnley game and said fans are getting pissed off with klopp. Surely not?what the fuck do people Expect. If we sack klopp I’ll be disgusted. It’s ridiculous some of our fickle fans

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          nine nine nine

Sean, the question marks against Klopp relate to his lack of focus on defence a lot of Liverpool fans are questioning him specifically on that as are the media and personally I think they’re right to do so.

Klopp has been at the club two years now and the lack of defensive organisation and defensive frailties still remain exactly the same as they were under Rodgers.

I highlighted in my post above what Dean Saunders was saying on Talksport about the Liverpool defensive players v the attacking players and I think what he said was spot on.

Actually although the scoreline doesn’t show it Chelsea did comfortably beat Leicester but that’s neither here or there and I fully expect the Liverpool first team to win this game providing they defend sensibly especially from set piece situations and if they defend sensibly they have the attacking players to win quite comfortably imo.

Vardy has a groin strain from last week and given the way he plays even if he plays he won’t be up to speed which will be to Liverpool’s advantage.

All about opinions though mate. ? Cheers 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.