Home Community General Football Isn't it time that we stopped supporting terrible companies?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I know the headline is maybe not entirely clear but here’s a news article that I think us Liverpool supporters have been anticipating (not in a good way for myself) :

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11818329/liverpool-face-court-battle-with-kit-supplier-new-balance

My point is that Nike are a notoriously controversial company, who have their products made in sweatshops. Where they underpay and over-work poverty stricken people. There have even been strong accusations of child labour.

I am opposed to a switch from NB to a morally bankrupt entity like Nike and not only because their jerseys are 5 minute template jobs. Nike have been an extremely successful corporation for decades, so obviously people don’t care about this and will buy whatever produce they exploit people to create… I say that we should be better than this.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Pagan
      Participant

Mak

The more money a club has the more success it will have (generally)
        Greed is good
        Money has no morals
        Think you’ll have a kit that ticks the above next season
        …..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Brian blue
        Participant

Mac..I believe it is a growing issue, not just with Nike. I do not buy shirts with Sponsors name on. I would, IF, they paid me what the rate was sports people to use me as a “Billboard” advertising, then again, some companies I would not support whatever they would have offered me. They seem to think they are doing you a favour to advertise for them, well my ratings on them is usually very low

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

New Balance?Nil,you greedy bastard,lol.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Hightown hope

Interesting topic, Mak. I do not know alot about New Balance, other than the fact that they have done good shirts, by and large, for Liverpool. Do we know that NB pay a fair rate? Genuine question that I don’t know the answer to. Certainly Nike appear to be the Real Madrid/Man Utd of the sportswear world, and for that reason only, I would be against the move. But I’m resigned to it happening…it just will…because they will offer the best deal financially for the club. It’s why Salford City, now they are a league club have dispensed with the local family owned brewery that supported them through thin and thin, and virtually kept them afloat when their clubhouse burnt down 10 years ago, and have now got a nice fat rich deal with Carlsberg. Quality of product, opinions of customers (in this case fans), supporting local businesses are just irrelevancies – money talks, and I’m sure Nike will be throwing vast wads at FSG to ensure that they get the deal.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

But are NB any different from Nike? Adidas? Puma? Any of them? I’m going to suggest not. I’m also going to suggest about 80% of everything we own comes from China/Sweatshops these days, not just sporting goods. Your computer, your tablet phones, anything… nobody is innocent of this!

But worst yet, does Silly-Willy-Nilly going to have to change his other name to New Nike?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Hightown hope

Agree, Chucky! And look how many betting firms have shirt sponsorship in the Prem. Now there IS an evil industry!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  maverick1973
                  Participant

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-close-to-75m-a-year-agreement-with-nike-4297942

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

A number of New Balance products come out of China.

Anyone else see China on TV recently a real eye opener and still available on Catch Up.

NB legally challenging the Nike deal? Financial settlement probably coming.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      threeps
                      Participant

Moving slightly away from shirt sells, for which I agree with those questioning NB, Adidas and all the rest, but Liverpool have NordVPN as an official partner. We all know one of the main uses of VPN is to illegally watch football, so a football club having a partnership with a company that benefits from illegal viewing of said football team seems a little morally corrupt to me! And then advertise it pitch side when people are most likely already watching illegally but thinking how they could protect themselves better.

Football is not about morals, heck it’s barely about football these days, it’s about how much it can earn.

Agree 100% with Hightown about betting companies, probably also down there are pay day loan companies!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

To give some numbers on it, 10 of the 20 premier league teams have betting companies as their main shirt sponsor. In the Championship, that’s the case for 17 of the 24 teams.

Via…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Luckydestiny
                          Participant

Mav I thought of nil too when I read about this. Never really paid attention to what the logo on pool shirt says so never knew he named himself after the sponsor!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

“But are NB any different from Nike? Adidas? Puma? Any of them? I’m going to suggest not. ”

I’ve never heard of any other sportswear company using child labour, so I would put Nike out on it’s own.

Most of these companies take advantage of the cheaper labour in India and the like. The textile industry is crazy over there for this reason but a line has to be drawn.

There are some companies in this word that go too far. Nike is one of them, Nestle is another. I would be shocked to hear the same things about NB and on top of that, I absolutely love their shirts. They are the nicest jerseys we’ve had in decades. What I don’t understand about this is that they offered the same money to FSG and they decided to go with Nike anyway.

Also, is it just me or is 70m a year low? I say low, it smashes our previous rate but our profile has been on the up and up over the last 4 years. 2 CL finals back to back, incredible league finish with the CL win also. We have a very high profile and marketable manager, who draws fans to the club in huge numbers.

Meanwhile Utd, who I know are the bigger club.. but their deal is from a few years back, is much bigger and they were not in good shape when they got that deal, in terms of winning new fans anyway.

I know we’ve got some catching up to do but I think they’ve let themselves down by not finding an offer for more.

As for the Nike thing. If people want a few snippets of info : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_sweatshops

I had a look articles but there’s a lot of stuff from websites I’ve never heard of, or really old info. So, it’s actually difficult to work out if Nike have sorted their game out at all. I can’t be bothered digging further right now but may do at some other stage when I’m bored. I’m going to wait and see if maybe this was some kind of negotiating tactic with NB. We can only hope.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

Mikus, 10 out of 20!? You’re including the training jersey sponsors surely? Like how we had one on ours.

I’ve nothing against gambling but the advertising for it in the UK is out of control. I think it should be illegal , or severely limited to advertise gambling TBH. It’s a predatory market. For most like us, it can be a bit of fun with a 10er but ya… I’ll shut up now haha

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Micky… not having a pop at Liberools cyber chum, just don’t believe for one minute NB would be any special when compared to all the others. And yes, child labour is disgusting, but the grown-ups aren’t exactly treated a great deal better, they just happen to be adults.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Pagan
                                  Participant

Not sure Adidas are much better than Nike, they had a shocking reputation for labour exploitation in trainer and football manufacturing. Allegedly they’re trying to be more open on their suppliers now, but how far do you follow the supply chain down.

Let’s face it, to be competitive in the same market you’d suspect they employ similar manufacturing supply chains, I just suppose which company gets targeted by the journalists….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

Chucky, I don’t think NB are better than the others in general. I’ve said that Nike are worse than all the others. The profit margins they are dealing with for their trainers are astronomical and it’s these that they used to have children making. They were needlessly exploiting, as in not as a result of strong competition. Do they still do it? who knows. Are ADIDAS also up to it? I don’t know either. I SERIOUSLY doubt it’s a general thing for all these companies to exploit child labour. It’s not just the media who focus on companies but there are specialized bodies that investigate these issues.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      steveosnakeeye
                                      Participant

nice idea but not exactly manageble unless its just a one person boycot of one jersey for a few years….

i know for a fact that all the big players are guilty of the same things when it comes to manafacturing, it happens in very industry, even your shiny new iphone 11 will be made in a UFO factory and made by people paid fuck all!

if you want to take a stance on companies especially the eeeeeevil ones then i salute you but highly doubt you could do it

seems odd to not want Nike of all things, betting and the likes is far more understandable and helps put you on a more level playing field with big guns

look at united, crap for 6 years and counting and highest revenues ever….

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

” its just a one person boycot of one jersey for a few years….”

This is actually all I began this thread with in mind. Not that the club should refuse to take the best financial offer but that Nike haven’t had people voting with their pockets for years now and I’m not just talking about football gear then either.

I’m not saying for sure that I 100% will not buy a Nike jersey. I am saying that I am less inclined to, even before they come out. For the record, I most likely won’t buy anything they make. I’m expecting them to also look a bit rubbish.

“seems odd to not want Nike of all things”

Betting is a predatory industry but my reasons for singling out Nike, above all others is stated above. All companies exploit to some level or another but Nike are generally (so I thought) considered to be one of the FEW companies out there who really push the envelope when it comes to dodgy ethical practice.

my information is very old on this, so maybe they are better now. I might look into it more if they are confirmed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

I have to say with the heavy workload at the mo and domestic juggling, I don’t have too much time to delve in, so only go by what’s raised here and maybe the odd ‘Newspaper’ article.

I dunno really. New Balance has served us well. Obviously though at the mo in many people’s eyes, we’re ‘hot property’ and so people will try to see us as an opportunity to make money from us.

If I was in my teens, I would have jumped at the chance for Nike. Still one of my favourite if not my favourite brands. I always felt with everything else, it was second-best, but have to say, New Balance has taken us to another level.

Would love ideally the old Adidas Trefoil and Kenny, hahaha πŸ˜€

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.