Home Community General Football Is VAR a blessing or a curse to the game?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea.man
    Participant

After the disallowed City goal yesterday where opinion was divided. I have decided to start a discussion about that subject. whilst the City fan base would say it had been a curse, I had not lost to the fact that the Spurs fan would think a blessing in disguise. I also saw many footballing experts slam that decision as well as on the other hand many also from the footballing experts praise the decision. it was definitely a thin line margin.

Some decisions need to scrutinized of course. for example, the offside rule has been ridiculous at a times. I remember last season we were twice denied what would have been legitimate goals had VAR was implemented at the time. and in that sense, I fully support VAR to be used. but after I watched that controversial decision was in my actual opinion at first was that goal shouldn’t have stood as it was a handball. but after watching it on Match of the day, I felt it was a bit harsh on City. there should be a clear balance between intervening those outrageous decisions sometimes that match officials take and not disrupting the passion of the game. and that for now seems to be elusive.

What is your opinion on this subject? let the discussions began!

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Nothing new to be said here (from me!). I’ll choose ‘curse’… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        sean the sailor
        Participant

I don’t mind var but it is ruining celebrating goals.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

Going to have to disagree with this one. Might be very different at the stadiums, but on TV it sure looks like the crowd are going mental when a goal is scored rather than waiting for “confirmation”…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

I’m
              Talking about myself banjo lol

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

πŸ™‚

Too be honest, I’m at home and I haven’t been waiting for the VAR check before I throw the remote at the cat…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

There’s not too much wrong with VAR it’s the accidental handball rule that was the problem yesterday.

Tbh I think it’s all been pretty much discussed on the Weekend footy thread and I doubt if anything new will get added on this thread.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

A return post from me since I was at the match yesterday. First, I have no problem with VAR but not in its current form and control. If they had kept it to goal line technology and maybe bad fouls unseen by the Ref and run with that for a couple of seasons this would have gained more confidence for all concerned. The decision was not even scientic as they clain, however, what is done, is done. My other point is what about the rest of the game when VAR should have intervened and did not, so now, we come down to a person makeing a decision. What I do think will happen is fans, wherever they come from, will get fed up with this and there will less bums on seats because it will just spoil the game as we know it. Use VAR by all means but it has to have quicker and better definition of the Laws of the game. Maybe we should send teams out with arms strapped behind there back!! The sceptic in me also see this as a manipulation of the game from a “box” and who knows…a betting sydicate sponsor!!! Use VAR by all means but let us have better guidance…it is not there now. Stadium fans will not pay for seasoncards if this carries on and the Premier will have to find life size dolls to sit in sits with voice control!!! Thank you and bye

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

Great to see you back on the site Brian it’s a poorer place without you. You and gjhlue in one weekend is a real bonus.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

VAR wasn’t the problem yesterday, it was the new handball rules.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

makaveli…while I would agree with you 100% that is also the problem in my view. How precise can it be, it will never be 100% so why. In football there will be numerous incidents like yesterday when you have lots of bodies and movement and although in some cases contact will be seen, not in every case, yet a decision will be made by a human. So, I agree, it is the rule at fault not VAR but then VAR has contributed, because I am not that convinced , that is 100% reliable, and that is what we are discussing with VAR has got it right, 100%. My other point on VAR is, it is supposed to cover the game, if it did that, the game would be stopping every few minutes in some matches. I do not know the answer Mak but I can only see it getting worse if nothing is done. I am sure fans will not pay to see such poor rule makeing affect our game in the future, markers are being set and not for the better in my opinion. EPL needs to wake up before it is too late. VAR is not takeing the human decision makeing out of it, so in effect, we have a Ref watching a TV screen….will he give the right/wrong decision? If you use technology you have to do better than this and in my view the technology is not good enough to take the human content out of it and that is its weakness. I do support the idea of technology being used but not this way

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Brian blue
                          Participant

Nine, I am only back because the subject is interesting. I am no longer interested in tribal warfare between fans on who is the best or has spent more, who has the history etc etc My only interest is the game of football and 22 players on the pitch On Saturday I went to watch 22 players, they gave me and others an entertaing game. A draw was the result and no matter how I would have liked it to be different, the game is over and is history for anyone interested in history. I am just looking forward to the next match I will not be starting a “City going forward thread” or entering any futile discussion on how clubs are run. If I had a wish it would be to see Sheffield Utd, Burnley. Crystal Palace and the like to ground us on this forum, that is what the forum is short of and who are not as fortunate enough to be more sucessful , for the time being.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Brian, your post above highlights why you are so missed on this site.

You’ve supported City for more years than you probably care to remember and I’m truly pleased for you that you are currently seeing one of the best teams English football has probably ever seen every other week at the Etihad no matter what they may or may not win.

Savour the moments my friend from your seat in the Etihad you deserve it. I sincerely hope this is not the last time we will hear from you.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Oz
                              Participant

BB spot on in regards the the human element still there mate, rugby league in Oz uses this VAR & even the commentators say they still regularly get the decisions wrong. It’s called the bunker in league but ultimately when humans make the decision they might as well keep the game how it is.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Anonymous

“How precise can it be, it will never be 100% so why. ”

Nobody is asking for 100%.

If you want to ask me this question though, I have to give an answer from my own perspective (of what VAR should be).

In my opinion VAR is needed to get rid of the scandalous calls that refs miss quite often. VAR has the potential to ruin experiences, well bad and corrupt reffing is very destructive also. We’ve all seen plenty of horrific calls where goals have been allowed or disallowed, where people have been sent off incorrectly, or the reverse.

This shite has to stop but if the governing bodies want to self-sabotage to the point where people say “fuck no we don’t want VAR, cause now all handballs are penalties” then we’ve got bigger problems. Let’s not mix issues because they are completely different issues.

I’d even suggest we rename the thread if I’m honest. The issue is clearly muddied enough as is. I think we can nip this one in the bud.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

” it is supposed to cover the game, if it did that, the game would be stopping every few minutes in some matches. I do not know the answer Mak but I can only see it getting worse if nothing is done.”

VAR is only for red cards, goals and penalties. In the case of checking a goal that has been scored, the game isn’t technically being stopped by it but ya, this is the actual nasty side of it for me (people holding their celebrations). The thing is, there was a time when you’d hold your celebration for the linesman. That seems to be gone now, or is it just me?

I will add that on close calls that might require time to review, or that are so close that it’s hard to call, the decision should be given to a default advantage (like old offside where attacker was given advantage, or whatever it was.) Eg. *someone scores and its up for VAR… replays show incredibly marginal call… VAR officials call marginal and award the goal* so I am still giving the officials their own judgment, they get to weed out the ridiculous calls like a person 2 yards offside etc.. after that the speed of the game must be considered and they just flush the check and get back to the game.

The thing is, in the not too distant future, AI will be able to check more and more of this stuff instantly. Really. We’re not there yet though, so we’ve got to be smart about it and it can definitely be done in a better way than what we have today… easily.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chelsea.man
                                    Participant

I agree with the human elements of the VAR should improve. however, no one seems to say exactly how that should be done. for example, some are suggesting the relaxing of the rules. and when you do that, you will have another group who will always be unhappy should the ball touch the arm and a goal is scored on the process. so getting that balance between operating with the VAR and not taking the passion from the game is still elusive.

I’m firmly in the camp that believes, the VAR should be used about the contested incidents, not like it is used this time.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

Chelseaman, it’s been said more than the once on here now but you have to seperate the two the new hand ball rule has nothing to do with VAR it’s the new hand ball that is wrong not VAR!

Bonkers to have a handball rule that denies a goal and gives a free kick for a ball that touches a players arm when it’s the attacking team but give nothing when the same thing happens to a player when it’s the defending team.

As Mark Halsey said on Talksport today the laws an Ass!

Hand ball is hand ball and unintentional handball shouldn’t be penalised at either end period!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

The fact that is that most find the changes have not been explained sufficiently, so, not just the players but the fans on the seats understand what is happening. They will walk if this is not corrected. I noticed in the test match yesterday, even with camera they got it hopelessly wrong, the Australian batsman should not have been given out, the ball clearly touching the ground, yet somebody viewing this in a box says OUT, human error beats technology again
                                          It would appear to me, first , they have to get the laws sorted out then there has to be a clear understanding with the technology being used it is capable of doing what is necessary and lastly a complete understanding between Ref/VAR/Human interface I am sure in time they will get it right but right now it is lacking in all departments. I also think the Refs will abdicate from a lot of responsibility and leave it to VAR, this could go either way. If Refereeing standards were higher there would be no need for VAR but they have not been good for years now so VAR will be viable and when the technlogy gets better it will have benifits.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

Chuky…you are right, the stadium went crazy thinking that was the winning goal. Even Spurs players thought it was, when it was reversed even the Spurs players laughed. I do not believe it even out over a season….in fact, by the same logic…it could get worse!!! I hope not. I have moved on now and the only thing in my mind is Bournemouth on Saturday

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 339 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.