Home Community General Football Is Peps time at City coming to a end?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a inkling this could be his last season at City. There is a bit of resemblance to his final season at Barcelona. They were dropping points against sides that they should have beaten. His style of management and his style of play requires a lot of intensity and I can only assume how much that takes a toll on himself in order to help his side stay focused, so I believe he will call it a day at the end of the season and then take another year out. Hate to admit it, he has been great in the PL and certainly left his mark in a short of space of time.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

I don’t think so but I certainly hope so. Regardless of when he goes, it will be interesting to see what he does next. Considering he usually goes for the strongest side in a league, my bet would be the Juve job. PSG probably wouldn’t interest him. Back to Barca post-Messi to create another legacy there? Huge risk with that one as they look to be a side in decline and need a big rebuild.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

Ed- Reckon he will end up at Juventus when Sarri’s contract comes to a end and there was also talk of him managing Brazil at international level. There were recent reports of the club bringing in Van Bronckhorst to the club in order to observe the set up, which indicates that they are looking for a replacement already. I would not be surprised if Poch ends up there.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          The Oracle
          Participant

Cm, what’s Poch done to earn that job?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

I think he will see his contract out. Best manager in the world for me.

Cities problem at the minute is lack of good options at centre back. Laporte is a huge loss. I think city look vulnerable at the minute and that’s just because of their current centre backs

They still look excellent going forward. They will bounce back after the international break

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

Yeah he tends to avoid the rebuilding jobs so Juventus are the one with least amount of tweaking needed.

Either way, I really can’t see him breaking his contract. He’s never done so before, I don’t think. Although, I don’t think he’ll sign a new one which means he has another season after this one

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                maverick1973
                Participant

Maybe Pep wants to manage United,you knever know.I believe he always wanted to manage a team in the Championship,so with United headed down that way this could be Peps chance.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by maverick1973.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Editor
                  Keymaster

Pep is absolutely the best in the world at what he does. Which is taking the best squad in a league, tweaking it and making them an unstoppable force. I’m yet to be convinced he can take a side not used to winning things, build them and make them a force.

As for Poch, he just looks to be coming to the end of his shelf life at Spurs. Aside from the fact I think Poch is overrated, I think his season this season reminds me a lot of Klopp’s last at Dortmund where he almost took them down. He hadn’t become a bad manager. He had merely outstayed his welcome and a change was needed, much like in Spurs case

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Agree he has been great for English football, but I have to disagree in regards to the best manager part. That accolade goes to Klopp imo. I dont want to draw this thread in to a Pep vs Klopp debate though. I could be wrong and he may stay on another year, but that will be a mistake imo, especially with the players knowing he will be off.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      maverick1973
                      Participant

Steady Eddy from the country of ABBA and Ulrika-Poch should have gone last season,imho.He has indeed outstayed his welcome @ Spurs.The era of a Coach staying @ a team for a long time are in the past,4-5 years now being the max.Just hope that game yesterday was/is Oles last in charge of United.As for Poch,off to Real or Barca,methinks.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

CM, it’s a good point about Pep’s intensity taking its toll. You also look at how he badgers players after a game even if they’ve thrashed the opposition, telling them where they still need to improve. It’s such seriousness and demands that I think begin to wear thin psychologically after a while. Brief story I heard that this could also be the case with Poch at Spurs what with the demands and routines he puts the players through. As for Klopp, I think it’s slightly different. I think because he has such charisma and humour, it helps keep the players fresher psychologically speaking and gives him greater longevity. I think at Dortmund, there were still obviously physical demands but less psychological problems and let’s not forget in his last season at Dortmund he still brought them back from 18th at one point to finish 7th at the end. So not convinced he lost the dressing room, just that it was time for him to move on to pastures new. But he was at Dortmund for 7 years. So is the case with managers like Pep that the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          sean the sailor
                          Participant

Dortmund finished 7th that year Ed. Started off badly and were down near the bottom for a while but I don’t think they were in much danger after that Christmas of going down

I think klopp knew his time was up then though

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Editor
                            Keymaster

He definitely saved the season considering where they were but 7th was a really poor finish for that side regardless. They were getting to CL finals and finishing top 2 before then. Not a criticism of him as he’s a top manager. Just pointing out the similarities between him and Poch this season

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Every Manager moves on in the end.

City’s biggst problem is the injury list and since last season they are playing without Kompany, Laporte and Stones in the Centre Back positions.

Massive task for City to finish above Liverpool now not impossible but a very big ask this season and I can see City getting beaten at Anfield as it stands in a few weeks time when probably they need to win both head to heads to retain the title.

Perhaps a change of tactics to 2 holding players in Fernandinho and Rodri in front of Stones and Otamendi might help in certain games but City were all over the place yesterday defensively based on the highlights I saw and could have easily been 2 or 3 down at ht.

I don’t think Pep will leave yet but I don’t think he will probably stay longer than his current contract either.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Anonymous

Agree Mikus-

Pep comes across as a perfectionist and expects 10/10 performances from every single one of his players.

In regards to Klopp, the reason why I rate him so highly is because the way he has adapted to the PL. Some say Van Dijk and Alisson have made a difference and they have, but it not solely down to that. Klopp has made them efficient and has them playing various different styles of play, from gegenpressing to counter attacking to winning ugly and when it matters. With that approach, Liverpool are experiencing less injuries. They remind a lot like Fergusons United side, where they were efficient, intimidating and turned on the style when it mattered and needed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  steveosnakeeye
                                  Participant

i think some of this may be a mix of wishful thinking and reading the tea leafs of the past in order to predict the future and because city are off the pace for a change…..they have some big injuries and pool are flying, i dont see a crisis or signs of the end, i think pep will be here next year and will bolster the squad, just MHO

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    The Oracle
                                    Participant

I think Pep wants to win the Champions League with City. I think that is this seasons priority. Liverpool & City probably are the two best teams in Europe and seeing Liverpool win it last season will have irked him. Winning domestic leagues is no longer a challenge to Pep which is why I don’t see him going to PSG or Juve. If he does move in from City I’m not sure where he will go. Either way I don’t see Poch going to either if the Manchester clubs.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      maverick1973
                                      Participant

Buffy-Nobody is talking of crisis,you plonker.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        sean the sailor
                                        Participant

Cm, vvd and Alison have certainly helped us but you can see the way the defence has been coached. We play as a unit. We play offside very well especially from set plays.

I think we are a bit more open this season but we defended very well on sat until we gave them one chance for the goal

I remember the amount of goals we were conceding from corners. Now I look at the opposition having a corner as a chance for us to attack. We are just ready to break.i think last time we conceded from a corner was burnley at home went it just went straight in.that was early March if my memory’s serves me right

This is the best Liverpool team I’ve witnessed. We won’t get a better chance then this season to win the league and it’s the first time ever were I think we have a huge chance but no way will I write city off. 30 games to go and we just need to stir clear of injuries for our really key players

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chelsea1967
                                          Participant

Used by dates for managers does appear to be the norm except for one and, not sure but maybe another.

Sir Alex left when he wanted to. If he wanted he had the job for life. I was thinking that was the same for Wenger but I think eventually his stay wore thin and he probably received a little whisper that it was time.

My hope, that Frank Lampard is successful and stays for an eternity. I’d hate to see him sacked. That would be unpalatable.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 72 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Is Peps time at City coming to a end?’ is closed to new replies.