Home Community General Football Is FFP 1 dead?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

I don’t want to get into knocking any indvidulal Clubs but these latest revelations from Wiki leaks suggest that if they are accurate we either need to move to a much more transparent FFP 2 and a maximum transfer spend by anyone of 100m Euros net or knock the whole thing on the head altogether.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

I’ve missed this Nine. What’s been leaked?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

The quick version is Blatter II has been “advising” Moneybags and PSG on the best way on how to not to get into too much trouble… at least that’s how I understood it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Chucky, if there is any truth in these revelations then imo it calls into question the whole integrity of the current FFP rules whilst FFP 2 would be much more transparent and it wouldn’t matter where sponsorship monies were coming from because they would be of little to no benefit.

It also further calls into question the credibility of Infantino etc this whole thing now needs looking into by a credible third party imo.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

β€œFFP 2 would be much more transparent and it wouldn’t matter where sponsorship monies were coming from because they would be of little to no benefit.”

Could you just expand on that please Nine. Why would they be of little to no benefit in that situation?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

FFP 2 is simply based on transfer, meaning a club can only “spend” 100m on transfers plus what it makes from sales… basically stopping clubs spending 2/3/400 million in a window.

Personally, I’d make it 50, along with a max number of players, say (25 players over the age of 21, that’s more than enough I reckon!) and also put a max number of transfers, say 4 per window too. I’d also do the salary cap thing, not on a per player basis but on a wage bill basis, something like a club can’t spend more than say 150 million salaries… who they give it to is up to them!

Bring the emphasis back to building/coaching a side rather than simply buying a side. That should even things up a bit and generally all round better for the game.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Mikus LFC
                Participant

Cheers for the clarification Banjo. Net spend does sound a better way, though turkeys don’t vote for Christmas as they say. The big clubs are always going to have a huge influence.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

The proposal for FFP 2 is a maximum spend of 100 m Euros net very clear, very clean and uninfluenced by sponsorship monies. I believe the ECA are/were supportive.

Personally I can’t see if the revelations are true how UEFA can continue with FFP 1 we have to clean it up and start again and currently FFP 2 is the best option.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

A much bigger story than just FFP and UEFA’s inadequacies there is also the leaks involving the formation of a European Super League.

“Der Spiegel claims leaked documents show the breakaway league could be created in 2021 and see clubs involved leave their national leagues and football associations.

Der Spiegel also alleges separate documents show Manchester City and Paris St-Germain avoided financial fair play sanctions with the intervention of Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

Premier League champions City said they would not comment “on out of context materials purportedly hacked or stolen”.

Der Spiegel says its source is a whistleblower they call John, who claims that neither he nor his associates are hackers.

“We have very good sources and a strong network that provides us with a lot of information,” he told Der Spiegel.

What about the European Super League?
                      Der Spiegel claims Real Madrid has joined forces with AC Milan, Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Manchester United to form a group of seven sides who went behind the back of Uefa, European football’s governing body, to discuss forming a European Super League.

As part of their plans, the clubs allegedly discussed “an option for leaving the national leagues and their football associations behind entirely”.

Bayern Munich are supposed to have explored the legal complexities of the breakaway and one of the documents Der Spiegel says it has seen is a “binding term sheet” which 16 clubs would sign to form the Super League.

The new competition, it is claimed, would involve 11 of Europe’s biggest clubs, known as the “founders”, along with five “initial guests”.

The so-called founders, who would include the seven clubs named above along with Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Paris St-Germain, would not face relegation and would be guaranteed membership for 20 years.

Der Spiegel reports that the five “initial guests,” according to the document, would be Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Marseille and Roma.

A Bayern Munich statement said they were “unaware of recent plans for a so-called Super League” and had not “taken part in negotiations relating to such plans”.

The club’s chairman added: “FC Bayern Munich stands by its membership of the Bundesliga and, as long as I am chairman of the board of FC Bayern, also by the club competitions organised jointly by Uefa and the ECA (European Club Association).”

United declined to comment, while Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid have been contacted for their response by BBC Sport.

What are the FFP claims involving Infantino?
                      Manchester City are owned by Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s Abu Dhabi United Group, while PSG are owned by Qatar Sports Investment.

According to Der Spiegel’s report, they overvalued sponsorship deals to help meet FFP rules and, when facing sanctions over the matter, the allegations in the documents state Infantino helped arrange more lenient punishments for them in 2014.

At the time, Fifa president Infantino was in his previous role as Uefa general secretary and City and PSG were both fined Β£49m, Β£32m of which was suspended.

Following the latest claims, City’s statement added: “The attempt to damage the club’s reputation is organized and clear.”

A PSG statement said it “has always acted in full compliance with the laws and regulations enacted by sports institutions” and it “denies the allegations”.

The club added: “Since the introduction of Financial Fair Play, Paris St-Germain have been one of the most audited and scrutinised clubs in history.”

Uefa’s response detailed the aims of FFP and added that the system “is a comparatively recent system of regulation” and with “the early cases” took “Uefa and the clubs into unchartered territory”.

It said: “Uefa is confident that any apparent inconsistencies that may seem evident to some, have been eliminated as the system has developed and become more familiar to all sides.”

Infantino became president of Fifa, world football’s governing body, in 2016.

“All decisions on Uefa Financial Fair Play cases are made by the Uefa Club Financial Control Body (CFCB),” said a Fifa statement. “It is an independent body.

“The Uefa administration, which of course includes the general secretary, can assist the CFCB depending on the specific case.

“This may include discussions, meetings, assistance to help find solutions, and other interactions to assist the CFCB in its work. Nonetheless, the CFCB is entirely responsible for their own decisions.”

In an interview last week, Infantino spoke in general terms when he said: “My job entails having discussions, having conversations, exchanging documents, drafts, ideas, whatever, on many, many, many, many, topics.

“Otherwise you don’t go anywhere. I mean, if I just have to stay in my room and not speak to anyone and cannot do anything, how can I do my job properly?

“So if then this is being portrayed as something bad, I think there’s not much I can do more than my job in an honest way, in a professional way and trying to defend the interests of football.”

Where did the leaked documents come from?
                      Der Spiegel says the source of the documents they have obtained is a whistleblower called John, which is not his real name, who founded Football Leaks.

Up to 70 million documents have been provided by Football Leaks and more than 3.4 terabytes of information.

Der Spiegel has shared the information with other media outlets in the European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) consortium, which includes Reuters news agency, the Sunday Times and Spain’s El Mundo.

Together, about 80 journalists from 15 media outlets looked at the information provided.”

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      maverick1973
                      Participant

Infantino has to go now,surely?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

Don’t call me Surely…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          maverick1973
                          Participant

Can I call you maybe?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Mav,Infantino has gone he’s now at FIFA.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

27-Then A.Ceferin should resign/be arrested,lol.I blame J.Terry,Giggs and banjo 4 everything,lol.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

Uefa lost credibility years ago. I do believe a breakaway will happen and global leagues and cups will follow. It is a logical step for media companies. Uefa and CL effectively looses its crown through its own stupidity and greed

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Ultimately I think you are probably right Brian.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

The issue is corruption and not FFP. I think UEFA needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, or just dissolved entirely.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

Makaveli…I do not draw a difference between how FFP and Corruption….they are all at it!!!!!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

PS…I do agree though , it does need to be re built but UEFA is now running out of options and the Global tag will take over

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Mikus LFC
                                          Participant

This is all the legacy of the decision in the 90s to change the first division to the premier league and European Cup to the Champions League. It inevitably turned clubs into greedy businesses with the advent of lucrative pay per view TV deals which led to lucrative commercial deals. (They knew fans would pay because they had what they wanted, they had them over a barrel). And now the premier league and UEFA are losing control of the ‘monsters’ they created. Surprise, surprise.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 100 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.