Home Community Non-Football I need to talk about Chappelle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

Has anyone else seen Dave Chappelle’s latest special on Netflix, The closer?

I honestly believe it was the most affecting comedy I have ever witnessed in my life.

It is superb throughout, the guy is a master,..but the closing 20 minutes or so, the moment he starts the story of Daphne, the way he tells it and how he closes his set… It floored me emotionally and I am still shaking.

If you like stand up comedy that is attempting to be more than quirky observations and trying to really have a positive impact, you need to be witness to this man and this show.

Watched it today while on extended lunch break and haven’t been the same all afternoon. He is on a level all to himself.

God bless Dave Chappelle 🙏

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

Oh man, thanks for the recommendation. I really need some new comedy in my life. Im rewatching Curb Your Enthusiasm ATM and I love the show to bits but I’ve seen it too many times. I am trying to wait a few years before doing the same to Fawlty Towers (My favourite show, all time). I have a bad memory which helps a bit.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Love Curb Mak and lost count how many times I have watched Fawlty towers 😀

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

See,s like we have a similar sense of humour man. Maybe we should make an extra effort to exchange shows, so to speak.

It might take some time to get past the obvious stuff like Blackadder etc (in my top 5, probably 2nd TBH). I loved things like Black Books though, the cynical cranky bastard stuff just appeals to me haha

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Luckydestiny
            Participant

Yeah blackadder was genius. Didnt like 1st season but 2, 3 and 4 superb. Black books haven’t seen for ages but a mate in uni got me into it that miserable Irish guy who owned a book store and bill Bailey 😀

Spaced was one of my favourites and also peep show.

Not snobby in my tastes in comedy though, I love bottom to this day and rik mayall only had to look at camera to make me laugh. New statesman was hilarious too.

The thick of it and yes minister fantastic too now I got thinking of political satire.

Like a few American comedies too but not much. I loved the office remake and same spirit is in parks and recreation which I really enjoyed too.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Rik Mayall was a genius man.

I too am not snobby about some comedies man. I love some cheesy stuff like Are You Being Served. I must rewatch Bottom, I can barely remember it. Agreed regards Blackadder season 1 but they adapted so well after. I love the following season, 3 and 4 especially.

I also recently enough watched Yes Minister and The Good Life right through. I like to watch these kinds of shows as Im playing a game or something, so I might not be fully paying attention but you still pick up most of it 😛

In fairness to them though, the Americans have some very good shows also. MASH is better than I expected it to be, even if it isnt a show-stopper. I mean, they pumped out so many episodes.. I also loved the first 3 season of Arrested Development. Archer which is a cartoon (dont be turned off by this, I was for ages) is fantastic. Community takes a bit to get going but is wonderful in it’s very quirky way.

I thought Parks and rec was decent but that’s about it, The Office was very good alright. If you haven’t seen Arrested Development, that’s the one to try but it falls off a cliff after season 3.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

Thanks for the recommend of new Statesman. I dont think I ever saw this!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

You in for a treat with the new statesman mak 😀

I have seen a few arrested development and I did like, will give it a proper go 👍

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

ah definitely do, AR is rewatchable too. Just… I wouild say maybe dont even watch season 4 on, its a disaster unfortunately.

The mother in AR is th ebest character IMO, RIP Jessica Walter. She’s also the mother in Archer.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Luckydestiny
                      Participant

Mak, guess what starts tomorrow 😀

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/curb-your-enthusiasm-season-11/

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

Love Curb, one of the few comedies worth watching.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

I saw that LD! woo

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Luckydestiny
                            Participant

Just cancelled by NOW entertainment pass too 😞 will sign back up just for the original LD 😀

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.