Home Community General Football Greatest PL side ever

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    cm
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45759826

The BBC ran a poll a few days ago asking fans who they believe is the greatest PL side ever. Manchester Uniteds 1999 side just won it ahead of Arsenals invisibles.

That 99 side was brilliant, they won 3 trophies and I believe they only lost 3 games throughout the season in all competitions. One key factor that people miss out in regards to that side was that the squad had 7 academy players in it, Neville brothers, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Butt and Wes Brown. In todays English football with all the money being thrown around, it will be something that will go unmatched in a long time.

I would have had Leicester in there too. The odds were against them and they accomplished what people considered the impossible.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

I think Leicester’s was easily the best achievement but it’s a stretch to say they are one of the PL’s greatest sides. I think both Chelsea (under Mourinho first time round) and City from last season could have a decent argument to being in with a shout too. The amount of academy players in that 99 side, though, do make it a bit more special for me as well. Similarly to the Barca side that dominated so much under Pep.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

Leicester City is light-years ahead in terms of achievement,absolutely no doubt about that! Nobody in their right mind expected them to go on to win the title,not i gazillion years,ever!
          I would have given it myself to the Arsenal s invisibles,what a team that was,with TH14 absolutely massacring the PL defences every week!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

Undoubtly and easily last seasons City team was the best, I don’t even support them.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

The City side from last season for me.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              cm
              Participant

Understand why people would say City, their achievements last season was remarkable.

IMO 99 was special and a fair few neutrals believe the same. Unlike last season where City ran with it, in 99 it was a 3 horse title race with Arsenal and Chelsea, along with United potentially winning it with a few games to go.

United won the FA Cup beating Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle and Arsenal. Playing PL teams in all but 1 round. In the CL they had Bayern and Barcelona in their group, then went on to beat Inter and Juventus to the reach the final, where they beat Bayern. They came across players like Zidane, Rivaldo, Figo, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Brazilian Ronaldo, Matthaus that season in that competition. Played the final without their 2 key central midfielders. Along with having 7 academy players in the squad. They won the 3 biggest trophies you can win in England coming across the above.

Overall United lost less games in all competitions in 99 than City did last season and Arsenal did in 2004.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Adlab
                Participant

I think the City team of last season given the records they broke but much as I find it difficult to say the Utd treble side is also there.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Be a great game the United 1999 team v last year’s City team. Difficult to call it.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Big Jim
                    Participant

Has to City without question! I think the question was greatest PL side so overall games in other competitions are irrelevant surely!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      cm
                      Participant

I believe thats why United came first, it is due to what they did in other competitions playing against some top teams and players. They also had 7 academy players in their squad.

City set records last season and rightfully should be praised for it, but there was one record that gets overshadowed. Pep is the first manager to win the league in English football without giving a academy player a full 90 minutes game in a league game. I guess some things can made to look easy if you spend half a billion in 2 years 😉

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Big Jim
                        Participant

Poor stuff as usual from you CM. Lol

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

United team were very enthusiastic spurred on by Ferguson and his wine flask. Except for Giggs they never had any real skillful players but obviously a good bunch of tryers that never gave up. Plus a lot of that good old devil’s luck. Those ingredients sadly some would say are a recipe for success.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

All this thread confirms is beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Chucky McChuckface
                              Participant

The problem I have with all the sides mentioned thus far is simply my own memory… the YooUtd treble winning side were damn lucky to win the CL with a rather dramatic finish… the Goonie invincible side had the small matter of a blatant cheat from “Bambi” Pires… the MoneyCity side that swept all before them only cost the GDP of several countries…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Cm, these regular side swipes at City aren’t good for you and aren’t good for the site imo you started a good thread but have turned it into another club to bash City with. We are only a small community on here and we will never always agree but let’s not go out of our way to rub each other up the wrong way. Cheers 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Chucky McChuckface
                                  Participant

Not as though YooUtd don’t spunk their load on a regular basis anyway, their only problem is they’re a bit premature and too eager to please their manager … (Goldie started it with his rubbing the wrong way!)

Now, where’s Gooseman so we can really all be laying in the gutter looking at the stars… 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

Seriously Banjo how have I attempted to rub people up the wrong way? For goodness sake let’s all try and get on despite the fact we all support different Club’s.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Chucky McChuckface
                                      Participant

You need to get your mind in the gutter cyber chum… may I recommend you Google some Bevis & Butthead… and no, I don’t mean these two… 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        cm
                                        Participant

Nine-

Have a look at my posting history compared to others and then tell me who has a regular swipe at their rivals. I say things tongue in cheek like Jim said ‘keep Mourinho’ on one of the match day threads or a few others who have veiled digs towards United. I never see them getting pulled up on it.

Saying Pep was the first English league title manager not to play a academy player for a full 90 minutes is not a swipe, it is fact. When others have a little joke about United on a regular basis in regards to their current situation, I don’t go around telling them to stop or it is bad for the forum.

The double standards from some is showing on here.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Editor
                                          Keymaster

These kind of debates always seem to pop up during the International breaks. Don’t worry guys, you’ll all have a Mourinho press conference to moan about in a few days ?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Greatest PL side ever’ is closed to new replies.