Home Community General Football Gracia wins sack race

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

What has changed watfords thinking in just 4 games? Seems really silly to me, if they were going to give him so little patience surely they should have replaced him in the summer.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      sean the sailor
      Participant

Ye bit harsh mate. Silly really

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Re-appointed Quique Flores now already! No doubt there will be an uplift but just makes it more bizarre that the change wasnt made in the summer.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Luckydestiny
          Participant

Just looking in to this to refresh what happened with Flores in his first spell now he has been reappointed.

He joined in June 2015 just after Watford were promoted, so had nothing to do with that.

He then guided them to 13th, before the club announced on 13th May 2016 that he was leaving after just that one season.

These are Flores’s quotes after announcement of his departure;

“The club and me don’t have the same point of view about the season,” said Sanchez, who also guided Watford to the FA Cup semi-finals.
            “We don’t have the necessary conditions to activate the clause to renew my contract so I will leave Watford as a consequence.

“I felt completely happy with this year and I have enjoyed this experience.”

This is what Watford said at the time;

“We would like to thank Quique,” said a club statement.

“He and the team achieved the target set at the start of the season of staying in the Premier League for a second year.

“Quique leaves with all our best wishes for the future and the knowledge he is always welcome at Vicarage Road.”

Watford then had that whole Marco Silva nonsense which was unfortunate to be fair, but its in that January that Javi Gracia came in, and the next season, season just gone, he guided Watford to their highest ever finish 11th as well as FA cup final.

Now I am pretty sure that if you guide a team to their highest ever position you have to be given the benefit of the doubt that you are getting the very best out of your team. The poor finish to last season may have been a little to do with the players just looking ahead to FA cup final but it also should have been evidence to the board that to improve form, let alone to even come close to repeating their highest ever finish, some good investment would be needed in the summer.

Their business was very poor except for the signing of a raw but talented winger in sarr. I get the feeling Gracia is the scapegoat for a poor summer as the season is almost written off already as a transition providing they stay up and more attention will be given to the poor start under gracia than the terrible transfer window they just had. Owners pocketing millions and passing the buck, thats what is smells like to me.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Luckydestiny
            Participant

Just looking in to this to refresh what happened with Flores in his first spell now he has been reappointed.

He joined in June 2015 just after Watford were promoted, so had nothing to do with that.

He then guided them to 13th, before the club announced on 13th May 2016 that he was leaving after just that one season.

These are Flores’s quotes after announcement of his departure;

“The club and me don’t have the same point of view about the season,” said Sanchez, who also guided Watford to the FA Cup semi-finals.
              “We don’t have the necessary conditions to activate the clause to renew my contract so I will leave Watford as a consequence.

“I felt completely happy with this year and I have enjoyed this experience.”

This is what Watford said at the time;

“We would like to thank Quique,” said a club statement.

“He and the team achieved the target set at the start of the season of staying in the Premier League for a second year.

“Quique leaves with all our best wishes for the future and the knowledge he is always welcome at Vicarage Road.”

Watford then had that whole Marco Silva nonsense which was unfortunate to be fair, but its in that January that Javi Gracia came in, and the next season, season just gone, he guided Watford to their highest ever finish 11th as well as FA cup final.

I think that if you guide a team to their highest ever position you have to be given the benefit of the doubt that you are getting the very best out of your team. The poor finish to last season may have been a little to do with the players just looking ahead to FA cup final but it also should have been evidence to the board that to improve form, let alone to even come close to repeating their highest ever finish, some good investment would be needed in the summer.

Their business was very poor except for the signing of a raw but talented winger in sarr. I get the feeling Gracia is the scapegoat for a poor summer as the season is almost written off already as a transition providing they stay up and more attention will be given to the poor start under gracia than the terrible transfer window they just had. Owners pocketing millions and passing the buck, thats what is smells like to me.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

4 Games, man that is harsh.

Dunno. Which way do you look at it? Watford Supporters POV, they feel the pain.

What I would say: this time last season, Watford were flirting with European Qualification places.

And no way would I want to see them Relegated! They are part of the Premier League Furniture πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

Flores reappointed.

I just hope Watford don’t start to a Forest; appointing somebody only to get rid of them.

I don’t know whether I would have taken that job personally. Maybe the targets and intentions are clear from both parties what realistically can be delivered.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

LD, I never understand this but we see it time and time again. I think in most cases though, it’s people who themselves feel their jobs are on the line. What else could explain such poor decision making?

Let’s go through the process. It’s the previous season, you’re on the board and you’re thinking of removing the manager. You have 2 choices A) Give him the sack and get someone else in with a summer of preparation. B) Give him until Xmas, or at least the lead up to it.

Nope, so many go with C, the option that actually isn’t one because it’s a panic/stupid. Ya, there are going to be times where there has been a serious incident or breakdown in relations, or opportunistic move for a better manager who’s become available etc… but this isn’t the case the vast majority of the time.

There’s a lot of incompetence at boardroom level in football. You gotta wonder if these people are just great at the cut-throat game but their inability to make level-headed business decisions is finally exposed on this stage.

From 4 games Watford have lost 3 and drawn 1. Ok they are bottom but jesus… It’s too small a sample set to get anything valuable from.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Luckydestiny
                    Participant

I get the feeling managerial changes like this are just PR campaigns from the owners sometimes. Fans always have time and patience for a new manager, and poor performance by the club as a whole can easily and unfairly be attributed to past managers by owners who pass the buck, replace the manager, and act as though they are proactively seeking improvement, when nothing could be further than the truth. They dont want improvement, they want mid table and prem league tv money for as long as possible with as little investment as possible being made.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

Maybe man. It is a lot cheaper to pay off a manager and hand a new one a contract than it is to make a reasonable effort in the summer transfer window.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

Watford also lost their last 3 games of last season, so that probably added to the board’s worries and I suspect they fell into the conventional thinking that β€œthey had to do something!” Whenever people fall into such thinking, bad consequences tend to result because they’re reacting emotionally not rationally (unless Garcia had actually lost the dressing room).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

Lucky @ 12:06, would explain the Flores reappointment mate. Everything you’ve added makes total sense.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Luckydestiny
                            Participant

Sadly it does Nil, but of course I have no insight in to what is happening and its just my impression, this decision seems so bizarre it cant have been based purely from a footballing POV.

Be interesting to see how it pans out for Flores now. I wouldnt be surprised to see a uplift in Watford’s form and Flores guiding them to mid table again, say 13th, then not getting backed next summer and Watford having a poor start to the season again next year, then Flores can be sacked again and Watford can pretend it is because they havent progressed when the real reason they wont progress is there is simply not being enough invested in improving the team and no manager will better Gracia’s 11th place finish and FA cup final appearance without investment in the squad imo.

Every season in the prem league makes the owners richer, they dont need to thrive, or even improve, just barely survive and they are quids in. Whats a couple of million compensation to a manager each year in this context?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Luckydestiny
                              Participant

Brightons net spend in summer 63m, Watfords 14m. That is a joke! Especially if you consider the spending of sheffield utd and aston villa too.

Watford were 14th in net spend this summer, What improvement could be really expected from 11th place with investment like this? Its a bloody racket.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.