Home Community General Football Game week 4

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

Still a week away but the stand out games of the weekend look like the London derby between Palace and Spurs, Leicester v Man City suprised that gam has not got TV coverage, Chelsea v Villa, and Leeds v Liverpool.

Revised PL SkyBet title winners odds 4/09 following closure of the transfer window.

Manchester City
      6/5
      Chelsea
      5/2
      Manchester Utd
      5/1
      Liverpool
      11/2
      Tottenham
      33/1
      Leicester
      100/1
      West Ham
      150/1
      Everton
      200/1
      Arsenal
      250/1
      Aston Villa
      750/1

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      steveosnakeeye
      Participant

250-1? Still better odds then Leicester when they won ! Madness

Wouldn’t even waste a £1 on that!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Mind you, still shorter odds than you changing your pants!! 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

Liverpool being under-rated is no bad thing I suppose. It is a bit of a reflection of the lack of ambition from our owners though, perhaps. I won’t doubt Klopp, or this Liverpool team but there’s no denying that the age of some of our players might be a reason for some extended poor form. Perhaps the club needed to address this, as I’ve been banging on about for a few years now.

Looking forward to playing Leeds. Hopefully it’ll be a cracker.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

Mak, I don’t think the age of the Liverpool players will impact on them season one to eleven Liverpool are still a very very good team but the depth of the squad probably leaves some question marks and with the signings made by other Clubs particularly prior to the end of the transfer window the odds have shifted slightly.

But Liverpool still remain one of the favourites for the title and are only marginally behind United in the odds.

I think most people expected one of the 4 CL Clubs to win the title with City favourites and that still remains the case.

The way Leeds play will suit Liverpool as they play a very open game and will come on to Liverpool.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              sean the sailor
              Participant

We don’t have the depth the other clubs have so I think those odds are a fair reflection.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

“Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sees Chelsea as the biggest threat to his club’s push for a first league title in nine years.”

Hmhh I think all of last season’s top 4 are very closely matched with City still the favourites imo.

Nice of Ole to talk up Chelsea as United’s biggest threat but I think City and Liverpool are just as big a threat to United and it’s very difficult to split last season’s top currently and pick one out as the leading threat to anyone.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Mikus LFC
                  Participant

A lot now rests on how much Ronaldo can lift them imo. Just hard to see how he doesn’t, even at 36.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Nine, the reason I am calling on age is because I think some players may already be beyond their prime. Well, it is a worry anyway. Do you remember the days when Liverpool fans were calling for Mane to get the Ballon dor? Only a few years ago but, yet so far gone now. I wont give up on him, as he picked up towards the end of last season but so far, you’d hardly say he’s blowing teams away. It’s over the last 18 months or so that you see Mane running out of ideas when he has a man ahead of him. Before, he’d destroy that defender , or at least make a nuisance of himself. Sometimes offensive players just don’t age as well as other positions and we have very little to come in and help, if he’s having another poor season. There is Jota but that’s it, for all 3 forward places. Of course there is young Gordon but there really should be another player in there, who’s good enough to shoulder some of the weight of this team.

Of course, Mane nearly scored against Chelsea and he grabbed a goal in another match. We judge players on their output in the end of the day. he’s just one example and you could apply the same thing to Firmino, maybe Hendo (although probably not this season) and maybe even Salah, although I again think he’ll be ok, as he is showing no signs of slowing down.

We have too many players who are beyond that year 28 peak. Some positions have a later peak usually, like CB or varieties of CM, so it’s not all doom and gloom or anything but I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that maybe Liverpool could have added a bit of strength in depth.

Now we’re hearing that Salah is demanding 500k/week. TBH, i kinda don’t blame him. He’s the best forward we’ve ever had, in my opinion. Definitely in my time as a fan anyway. Should we pay it? Probably not but I mean this is why you get your contracts sorted. Literally nobody gave a shit about Hendo signing a ridiculous extension. We were all only interested in Salah and it seems they cant get that over the line and it’s too late to sell him at full value.

Is it any wonder that Edwards is leaving?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

“We have too many players who are beyond that year 28 peak.”

Yeah I agree with that Mak but I still think that’s still a medium to long term problem rather than a problem for this season.

How Liverpool can compete in the transfer market going forwards from next summer particularly with an ageing squad is a bit of a question mark, seemingly the owners won’t invest their own money in the transfer market even if they could which means transfer fees have to be funded by profit or player sales. What Livrpool really need next Summer is another Coutinho situation.😊

If the rumours are true about Salah wanting £500k pw? he’s living in dreamland he will be 30 before next season commences Liverpool won’t pay him that and it’s unlikely anyone else will either plus at 30 as good as he is currently his transfer value will be reduced because of his age.

Ageing squad, devaluing transfer values, limited budget? and top players seemingly demanding unrealistic wages is potentially an uncomfortable combination.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

As I’ve been saying on TT, I think part of the problem is we’re getting ourselves hamstrung by obsessively trying to find the perfect attacking player for our 433 system. It almost seems Wenger-esque. So I think it’s limiting us looking at other options, whilst it’s also making players in that system untouchable and we’re also now watching them age.

Added to that, it strikes me that last season showed Van Dijk is just as important to the attack as the defence, because I think he shores up the defence that better allows the full backs to get forward and he also is very good with his long passing from the back and his presence in the box for attacking corners.

So I think the whole system is very dependent on a few individuals and if you lose them, a lot of it falls down.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

Tbh Mikus I don’t think there’s too much wrong with this Liverpool team especially when they’re at full strength when they’re a match for anyone then.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

“seemingly the owners won’t invest their own money in the transfer market even if they could which means transfer fees have to be funded by profit or player sales. ”

This is why I’ve been shouting about this for years. I’m not totally panicked but we really should have gotten at least 1 other top quality player in. The top players we have now will have dramatically falling transfer values, pretty much all at the same time. So, you replace them after they have fallen? How? If the owners won’t put in their own money then how do you generate enough money to replace superstars? You have got to sell them while they still have a good market value.

I wonder if FSG are actually planning for a future in which they own the club or not.

“Added to that, it strikes me that last season showed Van Dijk is just as important to the attack as the defence”

Couldn’t agree more there. His range of passing suddenly missing, flattened our options somewhat.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

“Ageing squad, devaluing transfer values, limited budget? and top players seemingly demanding unrealistic wages is potentially an uncomfortable combination.”

This was all entirely avoidable but FSG decided to milk as much as they could out of the current squad, instead of refreshing and reinforcing it. They’ve made some purchases but not enough.

The emergence of Elliott and hopefully Gordon does ease my mind a fair bit and in a pinch, I’d say that if Klopp has come to them saying he doesnt need people because he thinks they are ready for some form of PL level input with this club then fine but the age disparity within our squad is still far too off balance, as is the injury proneness. Salah’s contract could have been dealt with at the start of the transfer window, along with the others but they’ve left it late and it’s going to cost the club 10s of millions because yes, Salah’s transfer value will plummet between this window and the very next one.

The only thing that makes this good is if they somehow convince MBappe to join us instead of Real and… that is total fantasy nonsense. “Here real, have Salah, a 30 year old admittedly brilliant striker, but instead of this 23-24 Y/o potential world beater.. and they will be on similar wages..” bingo will look at that and see MBappe to Liverpool every time. I see fat chance and us going to Barca to see if they feel like buying Salah, then wondering where we’re going to get the next Salah from.

This is pretty negative stuff from me today eh.

Best thing for this is that Salah and Mane dismantle Leeds but we’ve so long to wait for it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                sean the sailor
                                Participant

Leeds were the fittest team we played last season in my opinion. They should have beaten us at elland road. I’m hoping they are not fully up to speed and they leave openings like they can do. Tough game mak
                                  Hopefully no injuries mate.

I’ve bo problem with the owners bit definitely feel like we needed two players. New stand, anfield road getting done , new contracts etc and they brought klopp to anfield. We can’t compete wages wise with utd, Chelsea and city. They can attract the bigger and better players aswell.we couldn’t afford 36 year olds on crazy mo ye for two years. Difficult to see past 4th but who knows if we keep everyone fit.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Sean, to be fair based on the last audited accounts of PL Clubs Liverpool’s wage bill is more than both United’s and Chelsea’s and only second to City.

1. Manchester City
                                    League position: 2nd
                                    Total wage bill: £351m

2. Liverpool
                                    League position: 1st
                                    Total wage bill: £326m

3. Manchester United
                                    League position: 3rd
                                    Total wage bill: £284m

4. Chelsea
                                    League position: 4th
                                    Total wage bill: £283m

5. Arsenal
                                    League position: 8th
                                    Total wage bill: £225m

6. Tottenham
                                    League position: 6th
                                    Total wage bill: £181m

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

Ye but we can’t pay wages of 36 year olds on crazy money nine chum and our highest earner is 200k.
                                      A week with bonus thrown in

We have a heap of players who have earned much improved contracts over the years as they have delivered the cl and pl

We wouldn’t go out tomorrow and buy lackau and pay him 350k a week

We won’t pay 480k a week to a 36 year old

If it’s a choice between us and the other three and comes to a player who is money driven, he goes to city,chrlsea, utd

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      sean the sailor
                                      Participant

I’m
                                        Repeating myself but there is a massive difference between how we operate to the other three clubs . We will never have a 100m net spend like Utd this season. We have a net spend of 170m over 5 years. No complaints. Utd are still one of the biggest clubs who will always attract the worlds best players

Chelsea are situated in London.it’s a huge attraction, They can sack managers annually and pay off ex managers huge contracts and pay managers while on gardening leave etc.

We buy players from hull, Newcastle, Southampton, wolves etc. Klopp had done wonders and when he’s spent big he’s got it right bigtime

We don’t have the money off the other 3 clubs no matter which way you wrap it up

It’s another summer without spending for us but that’s life

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Some fantastic weather today in the East Midlands. Been having to work Sunday’s of late to cover absence. Apparently, more of this to come and I’m looking forward already to next Sat; City and coming over and our City will be buzzing 🙂 🙂 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          nine nine nine

Sean,I was responding to your point that Liverpool can’t compete wages wise with United, Chelsea and City the last audited figures on wages from the top 6 PL Clubs show that’s not the case.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 300 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.