Home Community General Football Forget Expected Goals, How About Expected Threat?! πŸ˜€

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

Wonderful hindsight and “IF” technology.. Keep to enjoying a game of football, I do not want mathematical solutions that will fail to a host of reasons not mentioned…in short…pointless

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Brian blue
        Participant

PS. Lucky…an interesting post though!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Luckydestiny
          Participant

Lol Brian I didn’t get the utility of it myself. I mean expected goals I get we just assign values to different types of chances and get a measure of the quality and quantity of chances created. But that is of course not just secondary but irrelevant compared to the goals actually scored, expected threat is an even more detached analysis than that.

Any way, if there any value in the data I am glad we have kept Callum Hudson-Odoi at chelsea because he us our highest player on list.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

Makes you think that’s partly why City went so quickly to get Grealish, when they saw how far ahead he was of everybody else in that list.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Luckydestiny
              Participant

Yeah it makes sense he be high on that list mikus mate and wouldn’t surprise me if clubs are using this data in some way

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Brian blue
                Participant

Lucky…another view is that. if you accept one action, i.e. “expected goals”. then hit should follow that all other actions are qualified in the same manner. We now have a Mathematical game of theory……the answer to this is to read up on John Ruskin he had a way of evaluating just about anything

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

All can be reduced to numbers Brian its just about whether we can do anything with it or not

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

I think in a competitive market, clubs are desperate to find things in players others can’t, and thus find very shrewd buys. But everything has to obviously be put in context, and whilst perhaps some stats can be useful, I can’t help think a lot of this is a very complicated over clever way of finding something a seasoned scout could have told you in much more basic and less mathematical terms. But good stats, be it basic ones or much deeper and complex ones, can be very attractive and can almost have an alluring quality about them which I’m sure influences clubs and draws them in. But given the huge pool of players now, I guess it’s easier to tabulate their data versus having to scout all of them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.