Home Community General Football First game?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Hightown hope

I know there’s not a huge amount of us on here, but when did you all go to your first game? Still remember mine pretty clearly…it was a Friday night game on April 3rd 1970 Liverpool v Crystal Palace. It was played on the Friday night because it was the Grand National the next day, and it was well before Sunday football was allowed. Liverpool won 3-0 with goals from Bobby Graham (2) and Chris Lawler. My Dad took me aged 7, and I was immediately hooked. The floodlights made the colours seem even more vibrant, the crowd was like nothing I’d seen or heard before, and the noise seemed incredible to this 7 year old! 2 months later I was watching every game I could of the Mexico World Cup, and an obsession was born!

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

You old bastard…. 🙂

Boxing Day, 79 (or maybe 80?), a Christmas Prezzie trip to the Lane, a 4-4 draw with Southampton! Can’t remember who scored, but Spuds were losing at half-time and I was sulking, got my own bag of chips, with a wolley, to cheer me up! Happy days…..

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

Always enjoy reading these type of posts. We can all relate to that feeling of the first game, or at least be able to relate to the moment the obsession began.

Mine was in 1994, a while after yours HH! I was only 8 and wasn’t particularly into football at the time. My dad is a big Leeds fan and took me to Elland Road to see Leeds vs Arsenal. Noel Whelan got the only goal. I enjoyed it and remember it vividly but my obsession with the game was more of a gradual thing.

I didn’t get hooked straight away. My love for the game grew through a combination of playing football at school, playing football games (mainly early football manager games and Fifa International Soccer!) and then I was reintroduced to going to live games, at which point I appreciated it a lot more.

Football dominates my life still,. If I’m not reading about football, I’m watching, listening to, playing, writing or talking about it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Hightown hope

I remember going to see Liverpool-Spurs at Anfield very early season 1978 just after you’d bought Ossie and Ricky Villa. Just 16 I was on the Kop, and it was absolutely heaving as everyone wanted to see these glamorous Argentines, the World Cup winners. But Liverpool that day put on what I would say was one of my most memorable performances I have ever seen, certainly top 2 or 3, and played Spurs off the park winning 7-0. One of those never to be forgotten games that we’ve all seen!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Hightown hope

Right, enough Ed, I’m feeling old! I’m not having it that I’m the oldest on here. Jim or Brian…help me out!

So Ed, how did your Dad as a ‘big Leeds fan’ allow his son to support Manchester United? Poor parenting, I’m afraid!! When was your first trip to OT?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

I think he still asks himself the same question every day! I was probably about 10 when I first went to Old Trafford.

I’ve lived abroad in various places and in different parts of the UK growing up so I’ve never had the chance to go regularly to OT.

I’m back home this week in the UK actually. Tried to get a ticket for the Benfica game but left it too late. Will be watching with my dad on the box tonight!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Chelsea v Arsenal at the Bridge for me standing on the West Bank with my Dad 3-1 to Chelsea I won’t reveal the date but a clue is that England played Scotland on the same day and it was an historic England win.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

1873? England’s first victory over Scotland?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

Hightown, ha,ha, first prize goes to you.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Chucky McChuckface
                      Participant

Steady Eddy, popped a vote on HH’s 1873 joke, and the popped up everywhere… think you might have a Rooney in the system….

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Hightown hope

Joke? I was being serious

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Big Jim
                          Participant

Like Ed, I wasn’t really massively into football when I was young, I would follow England games, watch the FA Cup obviously and went to a few matches at Highbury and Portsmouth in the mid eighties with mates who were Pompey and Gunners fans. I was into climbing then a big fall curtailed things and around the same time my sister married a blue and he took me the Maine Road in early 88 It was a cup game Portsmouth or Plymouth to be honest I can’t remember much about the game apart from it was bloody cold. But I was hooked. Been a season ticket holder for about 20yrs. Football tends to dominate my life now and certainly my moods. My kids are now all blues and mad about City. So all in all I’m a realitive youngster HH.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

First game City v Everton season 1944, the war was still on City lost 2-1 0r 3-1 cannot remember which. A lot of guest players those days but Everton had some team. Frank Swift was in goal and he is the reason I support City I think Bert Sproston and Sam Barkas were the full backs. Jackie Bray and Maurice Dunkerley the only other players I remember. I think Everton had Mercer, Lawton Eglington and Boyes in there team. I remember enjoying the game despite the loss. I still have not seen a keeper better than Swift if you allow for the conditions and ball they played with. Swifty could kick the ball a mile but did not need to, his throws were bigger than most people could kick it, so the wingers were well fed and he set up attacks, so, nothing new to day and that was 73 yrs ago!!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Big Jim
                              Participant

Bloody brilliant stuff Brian!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Hightown hope

That;s great, Brian. Was that at Maine Road? What sort of crowds were there for wartime games?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Brian blue
                                  Participant

1944/5/6 attracted big gates at Maine Rd. Utd shareing ground because Roslers dad bombed OT !!!! I attended two games with over 82000…City v Glasgow Rangers…a friendly and Utd v Arsenal a league game. City generally average 45/50K in the 40’s I think. Wartime games had a large contingent of Service people, crowd behaviour was excellent, supporters mixed without any problems, indeed , I looked forward to standing next to one on the Kippax side. Getting in the ground was always slow so you needed to be early The atmosphere was always good, if you could look back on one of those games now it would be slow compared to to day but nevertheless good football because there was an abundance of Ball players who were worth the admission to watch
                                    Doherty, Manion, Hagan, Smith,Black, Welsh, Allchurch and many others

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

my first game was around xmas time ’93. spurs at home to newcastle. lost 2-1! should’ve known then what i was in for. at the time i loved players like anderton and barmby so was good to see them live.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Chucky McChuckface
                                      Participant

Might not be “first game” status but I saw a game at the Lane, around 84ish, where Glennda not only won a 50/50 with Terry Butcher with poor Terrence being carried of the pitch, but Glennda then went on and scored a goal with his head! That puppy had 3 shredded wheat for breakfast that day!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Hightown hope

Brian = I love seeing the old footage of games around that time. Everyone in the crowd always appears to be wearing a suit and tie, as well as a hat which disappears in to the air when a goal is scored. Mind you I’m glad those rattles went out of fashion! Do you still go and watch City now?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Careworkerlfc
                                          Participant

My First game was with My eldest brother standing in the old Boys Pen in the right hand side of the Kop against Derby County 1972ish, I remember Dave Mackay sliding the ball into the Kop Goal to seal a 2-0 win for Us. The First game I was allowed to go to on my own was in March 1976 against Middlesborough when We lost 2-0 I remember John Hickton scoring for Boro and I was only allowed to go into the Anfield Road end until I was about 15.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.