Home Community General Football FA inconsistency.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Big Jim
    Participant

So this isn’t meant to open a big debate as to who is diving and who isn’t in people’s eyes. It’s more about why some comments are seemingly deemed out of order and others acceptable. A few weeks ago Wenger blatantly called out Raheem Sterling as a diver. Nothing was said by the FA or the PFA in Raheem’s defence. In fact ratger embarassingly I didnt even think Guardiola or City complained. Wenger got away with it. Last week the FA asked Mouriniho to explain his comments about City’s players going down easily. Ok I thought they were out of order but they wernt as blatant as Wengers. That’s just two examples I am sure there must be loads more throughout the season. Why isn’t there more consistency.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Pointless opposition Manager’s and opposition fans digging each other out over diving imo every team have players who go down too easily.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

What I’d like to see is Managers given more of a fair deal. Emotions naturally run high if you have suffered a defeat and if it’s in a manner where you feel of injustice, then of course you’re going to speak up. That’s human nature.

The reporters and journalist effectively set you a trap and you can’t help but to walk into it.

And a damn if you do and damn if you don’t. When you make it clear you don’t want to discuss those matters, rather then a dignified nod of the head and swiftly moving on, those reporters ‘double-check’.

“Did you not hear what I’ve just said”?

The FA need to be doing their bit and if Managers feel injustice, they should feel they can approach the authorities quite easily and have their grievance at least investigated.

More needs to be done retrospectively so whoever they are, they can’t get away with it.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Pagan
          Participant

Retrospective action, in theory is good, but who highlights what needs to be looked out? If itโ€™s the ref from the game, theyโ€™ll let more go knowing it will get sorted later, if itโ€™s from requests from what others have seen, who are the others.

If itโ€™s open season, and anyone can ask for something to be looked at then itโ€™s opening a real can of worms, for instance, if Team A plays Team B, then the teams they are playing in their next matches are going to be scrutinising the match in the hope of getting some players suspended.

Then obviously there has to be consistency from the panel that looks at the incidents, and letโ€™s face it, currently they seem to come to different decisions on a weekly basis…Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Maybe a bit of both, Pagan but I would imagine largely in percentages, there would be the handling of requests from Managers. There needs to be more involvement from the 4th official in the first place to observe and take note.

If there is evidence of officials being proactive, then this would fill Managers with greater confidence and this in itself would iron out the inconsistencies.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Pagan
              Participant

One of the main shortfalls of retrospective action of course is it doesnโ€™t benefit the wronged party, but it may benefit a competitor.

Irrespective of the consistency problems, if we are going to go down the road of video reffing (and Iโ€™m personally against it as it would make the game too clinical and weโ€™d lose the fun of post match debate) it would need to be done real time, quite how that happens I donโ€™t know, but 90mins of playing time spread over 2+ hours is probably not what people want….Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

Pagan, from your first 2 lines, I would question isn’t that the whole purpose in having something like this put in place?

Whilst this process and attention to detail may seem a can of worms to some, that 3rd party benefitting could be a relegated team or a team finishing 4th.

In essence, this could promote more of a fair game if done properly as long as we’re not too pedantic on detail.

Cheers

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Big Jim
                  Participant

Good debate, but I was actually questioning why some managers are asked to explain their comments and others are not. Not the problems of right decisions being made on the field. The former should be much easier to sort.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Nike19
                    Participant

Jim,

in reality not many managers in public will come out and wrong their own players unless there’s serious violation that’s led to a sending off (in which they know there’s no hiding place and it’s inexcusable).

I don’t really know. Should they be taken to task in the first place to explain their comments?

Personally, I’m more aligned in taking into account emotions running high and comments made in the heat of the moment. I don’t think post-match interviews do these guys any favours if they have been on a back of a defeat and there’s been controversy.

The way the industry is too, from what could be just a simple bad day at the office, some Managers feel as though they have to strip an entire engine to get to the bottom of what happened and why.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Jim, I thought your original point was a very good one.

Re video reffing it has to be handled carefully imo because as Pagan says without if is in danger of over extending the game personally I would limit it to penalty claims and offside decisions re goals.

In respect of retrospective action I wouldn’t extend it past red cards missed involving dangerous tackles and retrospective action for diving. Games shouldn’t be retrospectively re reffed imo.

In terms of after match interviews with the Managers that’s tied into all the money the TV companies pay the club’s and the PL and who pays the Piper calls the tune.

However the immediate interviews of Managers after games are always likely to get an emotional reaction especially the key issues that might have cost a Manager points the only way to solve it is to hold those interviews back to perhaps an hour after the game but that won’t suit the TV companies and overall we might lose more than we gain.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Pagan
                        Participant

NB, what I was getting at is the wronged team may lose a game due to a dive and penalty against them, then the next week another team plays against a the said team who are in fact weakened as they have a player suspended, and get a result that keeps them up and relegates the wronged team from the week before. That doesnโ€™t sit right with me, so Iโ€™m nor really a fan of retrospective action, and as I said Iโ€™m also not a fan of stoppage in play to keep reviewing things. To be honest I like it the way it is, some you win, some you lose, but itโ€™s whats made the game we love…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Pagan
                          Participant

Regarding managers comments and the questions theyโ€™re asked, itโ€™s what the interviewers job is, controversy is what puts bums on seats, and the money paid for those seats goes to Sky and BT. Obviously some managers buttons are easier to push than others….Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Nike19
                            Participant

Pagan, in short I totally get where you are coming from being a chain reaction. Now that would be a series of worms, haha. Too much unnecessary headache just from these theories outlined.

Maybe it should just be a case of decisions like penalties, sendings off and offsides as a template.

That Fourth official needs to get his thinking cap on and simply be more vigilant and involved in proceedings!

An action of prevention than cure, but we can only hope ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Nike19.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Pagan
                              Participant

NB, to be fair itโ€™s already happened, the Tevez and Mascherano (spelling?) saga where West Ham had to pay compensation, with the money now involved in the game there could be some hefty claims put in.

I think maybe the 4th official as you say needs to have a bit more involvement

…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Big Jim
                                Participant

Rashford went down very easily yesterday holding his face with seemingly no contact. Wonder if there will be any action by the FA?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Big Jim.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Brian blue
                                  Participant

The players have the biggest resposibility, for some , it is part of there game, it has to be stopped, fines alone are not the answer, maybe heavy fines and suspensions with no wages. The problem is , who will judge this, there we have the other weakness in the game, first it must be done by old players who have retired and know the game AND can be trusted with impartiality
                                    Some pundits I would not trust

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chucky McChuckface
                                    Participant

I agree with BB to a degree, we can all argue discuss instances we’re our own beloved club has either been the “victim” or “instigator” of incidents over the years, but I would say about 99.9% of them we can all look at and agree the players/managers are pushing the boundaries of the rules well past the point of acceptable. Not even going to bother naming them, there were about 700 incidents over the weekend where a player as either gone down far too easily, or claimed for a free-kick or throw-in when they knew damn well it wasn’t theirs to claim, waves imaginary cards at the ref, etc…

As for pundits, could anybody ever agree on an ex-player or players to give an impartial opinion? (Except Gary Mabbutt or Tony Hibbert! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      cm
                                      Participant

The FA have always had their favorites and Wenger seems to be one of them. Wenger gets sent to the stands for kicking a water and receives an apology from the FA, Jose does the same and gets a touchline ban because he was “endangering people around him”.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Pagan
                                        Participant

BB I would rather see non footballers reviewing dives and exaggerations, I look at the amount of contact some players go down with and thinking embarrassing, stamp out the โ€œthere was contact so he has a right to go downโ€ rubbish and ridicule them in the media, I think their pride needs hitting more than their wallets…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.