Home Community General Football European Super League

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea.man
    Participant

These issue had been a hot topic in tabliods and the club forums. So i decided to start a separete thread for it. Where individual posters can share their opinion about this Super league issue. Although i would say without a witch hunt. And speaking about that, have anyone here saw that Mirror article by Stan Collymore. I had to say its pure hate and disrespect towards City, Arsenal and Chelsea to lesser extent. And interestingly Liverpool, United and Spurs are said to be on board. But he didn’t attack them. Or never even said any single word to show his displeasure at least. Anyone who is interested in can read from this link.
      https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-man-city-breakaway-european-13538594.
      Its pure biased journalism.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Mikus LFC
      Participant

Before this story came out about the super league, I noted this story about the resource gap widening between the premier league’s top six and the rest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-manchester-united-city-liverpool-arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-big-six-a8601076.html

Also, a story that went under the radar (as many of these stories do), was that last summer, the Big Six pressured the Premier League for more of the international TV money which will now pay more for a higher position rather than be equally shared. The big six will rightly argue that they are the biggest draw for the global audiences so deserve it and you can’t really argue with that. But it means the Big Six continue to drift away from the other 14 clubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/07/premier-league-big-six-win-battle-overseas-television-rights

So you can see where all this is going, though I can’t see a super league happening just yet. I think in the short term, there will be a revision of the CL (indeed read the end of the Guardian article above). I think we’ll also see β€œGame 39s” played abroad. The Club World Championship may also become bigger. As these things develop, and people get used to more games abroad in different competitions, the next logical step would be a superleague. That wouldn’t mean I would welcome such a thing, but the ingredients that set all this in motion happened decades ago with the formation of the PL & CL and there is little to prevent it now.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

For me it would come down to the issue of whether it would replace the Champions League, simply being a “longer” (better paid) version of what it is now, with anybody (in theory) being able to qualify if they’re good enough or be an entirely separate League meaning those participating would have to “leave” their current national leagues. If it’s the latter (which I think it is), then they can all bugger off, and I would have no interest in following the Spuds if they did.

What would be “interesting” would be whether the national sides would let these players play for the national teams? Or even if UEFA would let this happen if the national FA’s went along with it?

Dare I even mention could the English clubs be in it cause if Brexit? LOL!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

A European Super League is an inevitability eventually imo however it’s structured and whatever the rules may be in joining it will replace the CL as a European midweek league rather than replace the domestic Leagues with European League Clubs probably having bigger squads to cope with both leagues.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

That’s the thing Goldie, if it’s a jazzed up Big Ears that’s one thing, but if it means the ego-clubs are leaving the national leagues, that’s a whole other board game and I think that’s what the new round of gossip is alluding too, a proper weekend breakaway closed-shop league, and if they do that then I think the national associations, UEFA, and most importantly us fans need to say, fook you and goodbye.

Ban the clubs from the Cups, and ban the players from the national sides…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

I would be very disappointed if the Club’s involved left their domestic Leagues if it were to happen like that but the Club’s involved in the Super League if it were to happen that way would have left behind all domestic completions anyway.

I suspect the compromise is a mid week Super League instead of the CL it’s purely discussions currently but the European Cup was opposed and Chelsea the first English team to qualify for the European Cup were prevented from competing in it by the FA but look at the European Cup now it’s metamorphosed into the CL and is the biggest competition in the world.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Not denying the CL is the biggest comp in the world, it is, and it’s perfectly fine as it is in my humble opinion, with the idea all fans of all clubs dream off and that’s competing in it. It was years of watching from the side lines before my Spuds got to have a crack, and in theory anybody can qualify, which is what makes it great.

But I do fear we’re getting to the stage of killing the golden goose. For example, would I, a Spud fan, really be the slightest bit bothered watching Bayern Munich vs PSG in what is a league game rather than a cup game (which is when teams of this magnitude generally meet in the CL)? No, I bloody wouldn’t, and I’m willing to bet there’s quite a few other fans around who wouldn’t either.

As it is now, I only watch non-Spud games in the CL group stages when I know there’s a chance of one team going home, i.e. Knockout!! Now they want to have a closed shop of super clubs playing ‘league’ games? I think they’re reaching for the stars on this one… and it’s something I wouldn’t be bothering to watch at all, even if my Spuds are in it. No history, no real rivalry, no nothing other than cash tills ringing. It would be the death of football in my humble opinion.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Mikus LFC
                  Participant

Agree Banjo, which is why I think it’s just a few people behind the scenes exploring some options. As I say, if you read towards the end of the guardian article above for what is more likely to happen (in the interim anyway), i.e.:

β€œThe change has been agreed at a time of more generally advancing financial ambitions of the major European clubs. Andrea Agnelli, the chairman of Juventus and the European Club Association, told the Guardian in a recent interview that he wanted to β€œreshape” European football by having more lucrative matches played in the Champions League from 2024. The Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, also recently proposed a new 24-team format for the Club World Cup which would deliver $3bn for each four-yearly tournament.”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

I’d be up a Club World Cup type thing, that would be fun, but when the bloody hell would you do it? Players are knackered as it is…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Chucky, I’m sure the same was being said when the European Cup was in its embryonic stages and look where it is now.

I think a European Super League is a natural progression from the CL but it’s still some way off and I wouldn’t want to see it evolve at the expense of domestic football and I don’t think it will.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

Chuky..that is a good point…how well would squads stand up to global football, however, it happens. This is why I have always believed the CL is fast loseing its status, most of the teams are not even Champions, so why did they not just have a knock out for the Champions of the season from each country….tnot enough gravy for UEFA. I think the Global game is coming fast now, personaly, it does not excite me and I would still support our home game but life goes on and changes will be made. To have squads to accomodate the fixture list and travel it needs more than a bagful of cash. Football is nearing a year round game now and I do not think that is good for the game. Of course, fans will have to pay up as well for extra games and there is another problem, for many it will become unaffordable to go and watch. Cannot see many fans going to Tokyo/Beijing/Delhi/New York on a regular basis

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

The potential for good and bad is pretty incredible here. I am for a good Super League, I’m against a sole destroying version. What does each entail? I’m copping out a bit by saying that I don’t know.

What does it replace? I don’t want the Pl replaced and I really like the CL. Could the Cl be improved? Yes.

Looking at how much players already play doesnt bode well for this idea. However, there are loads of potential options when you are looking at what is certainly a STRONG motivating influence. People won’t like the idea of clubs potentially opting out of the domestic cups. i haven’t heard anything about this but I am saying that this is the type of thing that will potentially be on the table. The domestic footballing bodies will HATE this, as it devalues their competitions but let’s be very honest, these super clubs have absolutely huge clout. The fact that they are now working together to create something solid says that they are finally willing to exercise the massive power that they possess.

The creation of a super league that goes instead of all domestic competition (including the actual leagues) would be a killing blow to the entire competitions and federations. So, the days of FA’s being a wall to these clubs are gone. This is why I mentioned the domestic cups. They would have been off limits until now. The leakage of the term sheets is the game changer.

What next? I think the international friendlies are potentially done for. Now these I’d be happy to see gone. Like many others, I hate them.

So, let’s pretend that all those matches have been cleared out. What else can happen that makes the PL and this super league possible at the same time? here is what I see as a big one : LARGER SQUADS. The money that this super league will make will be astronomical. What we’ve seen from the biggest clubs over the years , is a general direction towards really high quality squads. The standard of players outside of the general first 11 has drastically improved because these clubs have long ago realised that fixture congestion of today goes beyond the limits of even the best trained athletes in the world , when looking at recovery times, fatigue etc etc. The solution has been bigger squads and what you’re going to see along with the increased accumulation of wealth, is an accumulation of talent.

now lads, forgive all the open ended possibilities. there will be these and many more questions to probe and time to wait before we can see how this might actually go.

One thing is for sure, the leagues and especially the CL are under serious threat. there is a meeting between the 20 PL clubs and this will no doubt be a heated one. I think it takes 14 clubs to vote in favour of changes in the PL. Maybe this is where the super clubs extort the lions share of the TV money. I really hope this is kept to a limit. I love the PL and I think it will die as a competition if they end up like La Liga, where it’s monster clubs shooting fish in a barrel (as I keep describing it… but come on, Im right).

That’s enough pondering on the subject for now. If this is done right, I’ll all for it but I feel that the potential for ruining something good is very strong.

What say you lads regards the idea of teams opting out of domestic cups and international friendlies? Hypothetical scenario where that is what’s gonna happen. You think the time could be better used to expand/redo the CL, or move it onto a super league situation? I do think that this time could be better used.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

There might be a case for joining the FFP thread and the Super League thread together. As the big Club’s in Europe if their not happy with the way FFP is being managed by UEFA may decide a Super League is more appropriate. Still more questions than answers though on both the SL and FFP 1.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

Nine…I eluded to this a long time ago…if UEFA want to start rattling cages they will come off worse. This is the Pot calling kettle syndrome again.They have so much to cover in there own organisation, why is Der Spiegel not spending time on that? Clubs will get fed up with there mismanagement and with TV companies probably think they can do better, I am not sure about that either but a new organisation is needed unless it changes it ways, FFP probably breaks a lot of EEC laws and they know it but employment rights will come into the picture from players to cleaners if they pursue this to the end. It will not put City,Chelsea or St Germain out of business, it will be an inconvenience and UEFA will gain a little cash to spend on themselves but these clubs will simply not go away and others will join them. As to Rules, yes there has to be rules but my guess these were wholly thought up by UEFA not by discussion with the clubs. Yes they were signed when probably no option was open to them but I also thing they saw enough holes in the agreement not to bother too much….until…..lets see what the outcome is. Like Brexit…it will take forever

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.