Home Community Non-Football England v New Zealand – Cricket Test Series

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Been an enjoyable and a comfortable morning watching England playing at Lords and first time back for these guys since the Lockdown.

Good to see Robinson get a wicket. Broad and Anderson always great to see though face a strong Batting Line Up from NZ and on the balance of play have been resistant and steadily building the scoreboard.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

It should be an interesting series Nil.. We have lost our way in real Test match cricket, too many batters out to 1 day shots and too many Bowlers never have a plan to bowl for the stumps rather than boundary catches

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

Hello Brian, Hope you’re Good.

I was luckily free this morning before my shift to watch the play up to around Lunchtime. It really did feel at home. I liked the commentary too – I was thinking Mike Atherton was one of the co-commentators

Yeah, it’s the whole reengaging of Test Cricket. New Zealand have had a very productive day close of play so lots of work to be done.

I don’t know whether I’ll be watching right the way through even with a day off work as I have a pending job to clear the Garden shed and go to the nearest tip πŸ˜€

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

When the 11th batsman is hitting 6 and 4 stylishly, that in itself speaks volumes – Wagner.

Conway reaches 200 runs. It’s clearly a playing surface for the batsman and hadn’t it not been for the work of Robinson, the Kiwis would have hit more.

All out, finally.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

The wicket from the opening bowl of today’s play epitomizes N Zealand’s zest and quality. They have been superb.

England look more in the direction at the moment in following on.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Good point of the match and runs made to declare from NZ.

273 is chaseable for England, but they need to score big from the balls faced sooner.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Not impossible Nil.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

2 wickets they could really have done without. Burns would have done good staying at the crease. Very disappointing Joe Root out for a duck.

They can’t let the momentum slip.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Brian blue
                    Participant

Nil…like I said before we have NO test batsmen. Some of the shots they have been playing I would not have put them in our village team. We need some character in the team

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

Got my player wrong earlier. Root’s actually done well hitting 40.

166 only 3 out; very good improvement and eventually shown fight and resilience.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Nike19
                        Participant

Brian, there is a dearth. You’re right. The current players being selected though have been given a chance to establish themselves and any newbies to be able to make their name.

It seems like another era and generation coming in.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

Match drawn.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

Nil..if this is the best of the era, I may start playing again at 87!!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Pagan
                              Participant

Unfortunately cricket below County level is all one day or T20, so although batters like to score runs, they don’t put a high price on their wicket. The good news is that we are now starting to see junior county games being played over 2 days, meaning players are starting to learn to look after their wicket rather than just trying to have a high run rate……Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

Brian, I’m a little lost in what you’re trying to convey overall, albeit the lack of individuals coming through with something more to give – the X Factor.

What my thoughts were on observation is a new cycle of players. I’m not saying at all they’re the best or anything like that.

I’m merely going by day to day of watching the play on Television and what the Pundits are feeding back know their knowledge.

Having being disconnected from the game, I was pleased to see Test Cricket considering the way the game is with the emphasis on shorter formats.

2nd Test Next Thursday at Birmingham. I look forward to it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Brian blue
                                  Participant

The current cricket generation in the UK is brought up on crash, bang, wallop cricket, no such thing as building a score or for a Bowler to find a steady rhythm . I cannot see any return to 5 day test cricket and all that means, that is what I miss. I can live with local league cricket, I played that actively for many years because we were all working lads and it was a game we loved but County and Test cricket was another level and in my opinion it has been taken away from us. I accept I am probably a minority view now but grounds were full when it was played 40/50/60s maybe not for 5 days but certainly over half depending on how the match was going. The game is gripped by TV and Betting Companies just like football and all they want is a TV spectacle with side bets. It will be interesting to see just how many shirts will have Betting companies on in the Euros or start of next season. I would not want any of my children/grandchildren to wear one, however that is a side issue. Nil, I hope I have answered your question and it is only my opinion

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

Brian, I take your view and appreciate where you’re coming from.

If we go back to as far as the middle 80s, we had a few stand out legends that were allrounders and leaders with character and something about them. I saw this in the 90s and a little bit in the 00s.

There were good cricketers for example that made up the England team and they were regular guys. There was a good blend, but also like for like replacements at the ready. We had a variety in spin-bowlers, and pace-setters; somebody too that wasn’t afraid to bowl a bouncer.

This I’m not seeing at the moment. There’s not many in today’s game of the ilk of Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad, or Ben Stokes. Where are these Cricketers?

Sponsorships/Advertising Companies and Betting has always been around, albeit, we’re in the world of online, and Sky are essentially the only broadcaster that’s the monopoly and call the shots (broadcasting POV).

I enjoyed the first test. England rescued a draw. A real shame about Robinson due to a historical tweet and this is the bug bear of our modern society. In the 80s, this would have been fish n chip paper and pushed to one side.

I wonder from the experience of the Pandemic, in the near future whether we’ll see more attendees at the grounds when there are test matches…..

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

The world has gone Woke, people must have nothing better to do than to delve into other peoples past no matter what the circumstances and yet in the same week we are going to let a rapist and murderer free, feel sorry for the family if the victim. As to cricket, you are right, a real lack of character Walcott, Weekes Sobers Close,Edrich, Washbrook, Statham Truman Boycott. I could go on and on. It is now reported that there are thousands of CHILDREN hooked on betting. We are so close, if not there, to match fixing on an industrial scale The likes of the ECB , FA, UEFA, FiFa are powerless except for calling yet another meeting.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Nil, by contrast to what we have been talking about, this afternoon I walked across to our village cricket club, fortunately I live opposite the ground which is a good size ground for league status if not undulating.
                                          Lancashire Boys v Staffordshire Boys playing. A very entertaing game. I had to smile for one of our Bowlers, a Left hand round the wicket bowler who must have had about 10 LBW appeals turned down, Very difficult for a Left arm round the wicket to get an LBW, I know from experience, you have to have the ability to straighten the odd one and then you have to have an umpire who understands what you are doing.. Where is VAR when you need it!!!!!!!! Enjoyed the game, lots of endeavour and some good highlights

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

Brian, that’s genuinely made me feel with delight. This Pandemic has made people appreciate more. I’m happy you enjoyed watching live πŸ™‚

I’m nearest to Grace Road, Trent Bridge and Edgbaston. I need to start living a bit and enjoy the experience.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.