Home Community General Football Engerland Squad

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

So, Mr. Wasitcoat is about to announce the squad for next weeks double header against Germany and Italy… who’s in? And who’s out?

Personally, I would be very surprised to see Dier missing from the squad. Has there been a better performing English CB over the last 8 months or so? Perhaps Stones (who seems to be 3rd choice at club level anyway), anybody else? I can’t think of any, that’s for sure.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Not sure about that new home kit either… like the away kit though!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

Toney getting his first call up supposedly, which is warranted. Someone like Maguire is always a tricky one because he’s always done well for England but is no longer playing for his club. We’re not very strong at CB at the moment at all. They all have a mistake in them. Phillips is another one. Not playing for his club but has never let Southgate down.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

Phillips has never let Waistcoat down, for sure, but I’ve never seen him pull up trees either… a player that goes down in the “not sure what the fuss is about” column in my book.

Agree about Tooney though…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            steveosnakeeye
            Participant

It would be a sad indictment of our national team if players play who don’t get a game at club level or have been pants for ages …. It has to be on form or you end up with same old names comfy and not bothered

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

I agree to a degree Steve but I think there’s such a thing as International form also. Someone like Welbeck was a good example. He was, for a long time, very good for England every time he played yet didn’t always get picked for his club. Say Southgate has gone through a whole qualifying round with two CBs he trusts and who complement each other. He’s built up a partnership over time. Then suddenly one gets dropped for his club. Surely, he should be allowed to pick the team he feels is the most balanced and the team which gives him the best chance of succeeding, in his opinion? Or should he have to completely rethink his entire strategy because one of his trusted players is no longer getting as many minutes? I’m not defending any one particular player, such as Phillips, but I don’t think you can solely look at club form/appearances.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

I agree to disagree to a degree, I think current club form is a good indicator to a players current “form”…and that should be a better indicator than the form guide based on previous international games, which is turn, go further back in time than recent club form… Engerland’s defence hasn’t looked all that great for a few games now, from what I remember (they were certainly pants against Hungury, that I do remember!!!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Chucky McChuckface
                  Participant

Right, I see the squads been announced… that seems to be a lot of full-backs/wingbacks to me…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Right then, who want’s to pick a formation and 11 from that lot? I’m off for a think…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Like the inclusion of Toney hopefully he can provide a good plan b.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

I’m not saying he should put International form above club form, just that he shouldn’t be expected to just discount it. He has to find a balanced side and if that means sticking with players he trusts over players who happen to be on form at that particular moment when an England camp happens to be at that exact time. Form is temporary, after all. I think you need a certain amount of continuity otherwise you’d be changing the team far too often.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

The Away Kit is Mint; reminds me of Lineker’s late days for England around 91/92 πŸ™‚

That’s probably the only good thing going!

Toney deserves a place. The Boy has done Gooooode!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            FoxyFoxes
                            Participant

I’ve rated Toney for a while. Not many weaknesses to his game and will cause havoc for opposition defences. However, I can’t see him ever starting so long as Kane is fit.

You’d assume Southgate will go for a back three, as he’s obsessed with it. If he does, then I would go with the following lineup:

Pickford
                              Walker – Dier – Stones
                              TTA – – – – – – – – Chilwell
                              ——– Philips———–
                              —–Rice———Foden—
                              Kane —- Sterling

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              threeps
                              Participant

He won’t pick TAA as a starter, for one he is in poor form but more importantly he is far to adventurous for a Southgate team. Likely James will get the nod or Trippier if he deploys the bore the opposition to tears then grab a goal from a freekick tactic.

The only reason I can of for TAA being included in the final WC squad is if England are chasing a game and Southgate gets a little dizzy in the head and decides he needs that attacking threat.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                FoxyFoxes
                                Participant

The only reason I would pick TAA (as I’m not a fan of his) is because of the back 3 plus Philips and Rice in my lineup there. All of those are very defensively minded and could cover for TAA who can be free to maraud forward

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Chucky McChuckface
                                  Participant

He can whip a ball in with the best of them, but I can’t see TAA being anything more than a bit of a super-sub coming on when we’re chasing a game… not under current management (personally, I’d start him in a 3-4-3 with Walker behind him to act as cover!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

I can’t see TAA starting either given his current form and the fact he seems to have lost any urgency when defending.

However in forward mode he remains a very good player though. I would definitely take him to Qatar because of that bringing him on late in a game when England are chasing a goal he could make the difference.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Editor
                                      Keymaster

We’re spoilt for choice at RB. In TAA, Trippier, Walker and James, we must have the best selection of RBs in World Football. TAA hasn’t looked great so far this season so if he’s struggled for game time for England before now, I can’t see how he forces his way in when he’s playing like he has been. He’s probably the poorest defender of the 4 but the best going forward. It makes sense to go for one of the more balanced choices IMO. I think James is a more rounded fullback/wingback and not much less capable going forward.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Foxy..I think Pickford is out of action, Walker still not fit. the rest of selection you are probably right, the best we have at moment

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Adlab
                                          Participant

According toΒ the Athletic, the German club will set an asking price of Β£131m for Bellingham. This would make the midfielder the most expensive British player in history. The record fee is currently the Β£100m paid forΒ Jack GrealishΒ in 2021 by City.

ALSO READ:Β 

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.