Home Community General Football Delcan Rice

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

It’s not been on here, flown under the radar a bit due to it being Champions League’s week and all that, but what do we think about Declan Rice swapping shirts at Half-Time? Actually, considering he’s played for the U16, U17, U18, U21 and full Ireland team (despite all games being “friendlies”), it’s more like swapping shirts in injury time…

Shouldn’t be allowed (yes, Goldie, it’s in the “rules”, it’s a stupid rule!) in my opinion.

And another thing, as the rules allow it, you could also say those rule shoots FIFA in its own foot by admitting friendlies don’t actually count for anything…

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a cracking little player, reminds of Dier but twice as good to be honest, but he’s taking the Paddy Micky there…

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

You summed it up perfectly Chucky “it’s a stupid rule! in my opinion.”

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

I know you like your rules cyber chum! πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

The rules govern us Chucky whether right or wrong, personally I would like to seem them changed to prevent any players swapping countries once they’ve made a Senior appearance for another country but it’s a FIFA decision.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

I’d go one stage further mate, play for the country you were born in… end of conversation.

It’s even crazier in Rugby, with my duel British/Aussie thingy, mixed in with “residence” rules, in theory I could technically play for 8 different countries… (if I was good enough… or young enough… πŸ™‚ )

(Not at the same time, obvioulsy!).

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Not sure about that Chucky a player could be born to English parents who happened to be living and working in Moscow at the time who then moved back to England a year later where that player was then bought up.

I can’t see how that player should’ve forced to play for Russia when he was only there due to the career of his Father and he has absolutely no ties to Russia other than bring born there.

I would go the Senior appearance route but there’s no sign of FIFA doing even that.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Fair point, at the very least stick with the country you first played for… your lad could then either play for Russia, or play for England, fair enough…

But playing for Russia multiple times and then thinking you’d rather want bangers & mash for tea because you’ve lost the taste caviar should be outlawed…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

“But playing for Russia multiple times and then thinking you’d rather want bangers & mash for tea because you’ve lost the taste caviar should be outlawed…”

100% Agree Chucky.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

Current rules are as follows I believe (via https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules):

Any player … who assumes a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
                      b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
                      c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
                      d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Mikus LFC
                      Participant

Seem to remember the FA trying to get Cudicini to play for England. How desperate would that have been??

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

I dunno lads. I don’t have a problem with it as long as the person has a strong and genuine link to the newly assumed nationality.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Brian blue
                          Participant

Rules should be clear and simple. Born in the country…no other options
                            If your parents are in Moscow they must have a good job…fly back and have his birth registerd in UK.. Of course there will be other exceptions but I still would opt for the “no option rule”

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

PS I have just thought of one option the player could take…..give up his British Passport and take another country.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

Hmm, tricky one but I get why it might rub people’s backs.

And the rules are there in place for a reason.

If say you are non-white for example and born here and wanting to play for England, would anybody have any problem with that (just to be on a slight tangent)?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

By the way Chucks, are you bored or something mate lol, haha πŸ˜€

Football’s back on this weekend (not for us though)! πŸ˜›

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Chucky McChuckface
                                  Participant

It wasn’t the busiest afternoon I’ve had at work, that’s for sure… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

You’re a hard man Brian.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Editor
                                      Keymaster

I can definitely see both sides of the argument. I personally can’t think of a better set of rules, though, than those currently in place. I have no problem with Zaha opting to play for Ivory Coast either after playing for England, either. Disappointing to see that he’s had loads of abuse for it

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

Brian. I will only use my own example, it doesn’t cover all the possible angles but I was born in Canada. My bloodline is 100% irish, although my dad was born in Liverpool and lived there only til he was 4. I live din Canada until I was 9.

I don’t consider myself Canadian. I am Irish and were I a professional footballer, I’d like to be able to play for Ireland, not Canada and not just because they are shite.

It’s got to come down to the nation that you feel “home” to. A decision made early on in a career, usually in order to just get to a higher standard of football, should not be final in my eyes. I really don’t see why there is such a big deal with a player taking a chance with a nation who approached him early on… but then later when he’s good enough, switching to the nation with which he identifies with. It is morally wrong to hold this over a player. If people are unwilling to budge on this, maybe the temptation needs to be taken away completely, with the removal of all national football below top level. Ridiculous? Perhaps but maybe you can see my point at least.

For me again, were I a pro footballer and had been looking for more exposure and more chances to develop. Had Canada come in for me when there wasnt a sniff of Ireland … I’d definitely have been tempted and this is how it goes down=. That’s the problem, not people switching.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

I think that’s the key, Mak.

When you change allegiance. If for any reason one happens to be in a situation where there’s more bias towards one than the other, by all means do what you feel is best. For me though, there’s no going back.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Nike19.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.