Home Community General Football Ciao Antonio?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

Retaining Conte is a risk but whatever the club does is a risk perhaps giving the players a few days off was part of a new start as there has been talk of Conte working them too hard.

The problem is that if the club sack Conte mid season it’s unlikely they will get in an Enrique type Manager because most Managers of his ilk don’t want to join a club mid season for obvious reasons which leaves you needing to appoint an interim Manager which to be fair worked first time around with Guus and to a certain extent with Rafa too not sure who there is obviously available now for an interim role and would take it Carlo is the obvious one but I doubt he would take an interim role and I’m not sure about the wisdom of going back to Carol long term.

The other problem is that the media smell blood now and any setback for Conte will bring all this back to headline news and with the level of the games to come there could be a set back or two awaiting.

Tough one for Roman imo if Conte can settle things down and keep us in the top 4 holding off a parting of the ways until the Summer makes sense but if we don’t beat West Brom or suffer a couple of big losses at the hands of the Manchester clubs and Barca Roman will be forced to act.

Staying in the top 4 has to be the key objective for the club above all others no matter who the Manager is but that’s looking a really tough task now.

Going forwards I can’t see how Conte can continue past this season and we could probably do with tying up an early agreement with a new Enrique like appointment so that they can study the team from afar.

It’s difficult to say who would be right or wrong for the club I do think a DOF is a key appointment and that both the DOF and the Manager need to be working in tandem with each other on a universally agreed transfer strategy which is why the joint Belletti/Enrique appointment might be interesting?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      maverick1973
      Participant

The fat Spanish waiter maybe???

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

I can’t see how Conte can continue past the season end. I think his posturing on seeing his contract out is more to let the board know he wants a payoff to leave.

What about a Chelsea old boy to come in for the short term – Lampard is not doing much, or Dennis Wise? Maybe pair them up until the end of the season.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Alfie, I think you’re right and getting to the end of the season won’t be easy if it is indeed achieved.

A couple of old boys until the end of the season might work I saw a suggestion of Jody Morris who has successfully Coached the youth and is still at the club. Maybe Vialli with Wise love Frank but I think he might be too close to a lot of the current players. Cheers 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

Mav, I was all for giving Rafa a chance when he was Interim Manager but it was an unpopular appointment with a section of the match going fan base and that was just as an Interim Manager.?. Cheers 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

999-Guus it is then?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Mav, I wouldn’t rule it out mate Guus has been there before knows the club and is close to Roman. But he is 71 now and even until the end of the season it’s still a very intensity role especially for a 71 year old.

Tbh I will be surprised now if Conte makes the end of the season but it’s a results based business and if he gets some wins under his belt he could survive until the Summer but it’s just a matter of when now imo.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Editor
                  Keymaster

This is certainly not a dig at Chelsea but they do chop and change managers more than most. Whilst it’s hard to argue against that policy, considering how many trophies it’s brought them, I do sometimes wonder if it’s a policy which ensures player power remains higher than it should.

If the players knew the board absolutely and unconditionally backed Conte, they might think twice about downing tools, as they appear to have done now for 2 consecutive managers.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Pagan
                    Participant

Ed, but there’s the problem, how do you discipline/punish a player, fine him for not having s good game, suspend him and not then have him playing for you, sell him and he then gets a signing on fee, sack him and write off millions, and he moved to a competitor for free. Easier and cheaper to change manager, player power rules, unfortunately we’re stuck with it….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

I think Chelsea needs to fire the people who’ve essentially sabotaged Conte. I could be wrong but it seems that a lot of the problems go back to the club selling the likes of Matic against his will. Conte won them the title last season and they screwed him in the summer, thinking that either they knew better or just didn’t care. Either way, those board members have got to go. It’s probably too late to get Conte to settle once again but regardless of whether he stays or goes, you’ve got a problem there that needs to be dealt with.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

Pagan, I fully appreciate it’s easier said than done these days but (I know using Mourinho as an example is somewhat risky but hear me out) look at Jose benching Pogba and completely ousting a £30mil left back in Shaw. I know people don’t like him but there’s no denying he’s the decision maker at Utd.

The whole Bakayoko situation is very strange. He’s clearly having a horrid first season but is Conte being forced to play him? Did Conte want Barkley even, after recently saying “When there is an injury to one of your best players it is not simple, especially when on the bench the only substitute is Ross Barkley!”

From the outside, it looks like Conte is not making any of the decisions he wants to be making. That tells the players they can get away with not playing for the manager as he won’t be the man to drop them anyway.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

One of the issues at Chelsea is budgets. Now RA wants to try and stop putting his hand in his pocket, and start to get back some of his loans, he, understandably, wants Chelsea to stand on it’s own two feet.

The overspending of the past needed to be addressed and now they have to get their English quota up (or more accurately Home grown). Barkley was cheap and English. Two boxes ticked.

Matic was shortly coming towards the end of his contract and would be 30 shortly, on big wages. They knew they had one window to get a great return on him.

Conte fell out with Costa, and that has not helped him, but once they wanted Lukaku they had to push Costa out the door.

Chelsea are now adapting from being the league’s big spenders to a more sensible level, which they can sustain long term.

There was always going to be a fallout from that, and having a rather combustible manager in Conte has just made the transition more obvious to the outside world.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Pagan
                            Participant

Ed, Jose had a history of ostracising players, signing an extended contracts, losing the dressing room and eventually getting fired, so he’s half way there already?
                              Seriously though, you put one in the reserves and then another, then their mates start getting the negative vibe, then you have a tools down situation, then what happens, 5 players out or one manager?
                              As for the manager having the final say on transfers, knowing A prem managers average tenure would give him total Control? I wouldn’t, unless you only hire managers that have the same playing ethos…. Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Some interesting views tbh I think Alfie is pretty much spot on with his analysis and I’m not sure that it’s all the club’s fault this time around.

When Conte joined Chelsea the club knew what his background was and that he could get into a strop over not having control of transfers because that’s what happened at Juve and Conte knew that Chelsea operated with a DOF and he wouldn’t have a full and final say on transfers before he joined and that wasn’t a problem until this Summer when empowered by the title win and Chelsea offering him a new and lucrative contract he unveiled his hand of requiring a much bigger say/ control of transfers which Chelsea weren’t prepared to grant him and it’s been an escalating problem ever since.

Ed I don’t believe any Chelsea Manager has ever been told who they can and cannot play which is supported by what a number of ex Chelsea Managers have confirmed since leaving and in Autobiographies.

You can’t go in front of the assembled media and TV cameras every week as Conte has and criticise your employer’s and expect to get away with it nobody least of all Roman is going to stand for that and if you regularly take on the owner in front of the massed media and the TV Cameras it’s only ever going to end one way and imo Conte has set light to his own bridges and watched them burn and is now in a process of ensuring he walks out with as much compensation as he possibly can hence his latest outpourings.

Great Coach who came in and was a breath of fresh air to the PL introducing a completely different style of play that drove Chelsea to an unlikely PL title but imo it’s now when he goes and not if he goes and personally I’m not sure it’s helpful to either party to hang it out.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

Players get very well paid to play and train to the Managers instructions, not if they like it or not.When players decide on Managers future it is a short sighted, misguided decision. managers are there not win popularity contests with players as some of them think they are untouchable. In Chelseas case the links appear to be broken, there is no guarantee the next manager will be the right one either and maybe, just maybe some of the players not pulling there weight will be shown the door sooner than they anticipated. It is a mess but not uniquely Chelseas

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Editor
                                  Keymaster

I’m sure you’re right Nine. It’s pure speculation on my part. Assuming others sign the players though, IMO it’s not all that illogical to think those people could put pressure on Conte to play them after the club have spent a lot of money on them, so as to avoid making a loss on any of them. But I’m sure you’re right.

If not even slightly true, I’d have to question Conte’s justification for continuing to pick Bakayoko who looks, at best, out of form.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Pagan
                                    Participant

Brian, so you sell a world class player to another top club. You don’t get full price for him because everyone knows you want rid. The player gets another club on the same if not more money and a signing on fee. So the club loses and the player gains, that showed him. Alternatively you could let him rot in the reserves where he gets full pay and leaves for a rival on a free, only one loser there.
                                      At some point there’s a case for them being employed like the vast majority of us, where they have to give x weeks notice and they can leave, no transfer fees, but no job security as you can sack players that don’t perform…. Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

Ed, given the way Bakayoko has been playing I can understand why you might think that.?

But given how outspoken Conte has been on everything I think it unlikely that he wouldn’t have thrown that into the mix too if that was what really was happening also could you have seen Mourinho accepting being told who he should and shouldn’t play during his tenures?

With so many Managers who have come and gone at Chelsea a number with axes to grind following their departure if that was really happening someone would have said something about it imo. Cheers 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Pagan, the point I was trying to make was they, the players, should do the job they are paid to do. This applies to Managers as well and “yes” they get it wrong at times as well but I am sure the Managers at least put the work in. They are not supposed to be “nannies” Takeing one player away should not affect the team ethos no matter how good he is I am not trying to defend Conte but I do think a lot of hysteria is whipped up by the media, Pep had it last year, “he would not survive the PL” etc. A balanced and pragmatic view is required because we, the fans, never know all the story only what we are fed.Your idea has some merit though

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          maverick1973
                                          Participant

Surely you cannot have players saying”my heart is in Madrid” like it seems what Courtouis[spe] has said recently! Then Hazard saying”I will sign my contract if Cortouis” sign his,and expect things to be the same?! Why keep players whose hearts are somewhere else? You cannot blame the manager for that.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.