Home Community Non-Football Catalan independence elections

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Big Jim
    Participant

Seems like it is kicking off big time in Barcelona, with the Spanish authorities cracking down very heavily on the pro independence movement. Shades of the old Franco regime raising its ugly head possibly? I wonder how our country would have been percieved if cameron had not given the jocks a vote and then came down the same way if and when they had protested. Personally I wouldn’t have felt comfortable with that kind of response.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Jim, we lived in Catalonia for a while and still have Catalonian friends out in Catalonia and visit regularly.

It’s a very tough situation for everyone out there currently and of course Pep is a Catalonian too. I hope and pray there are no serious injuries and things ultimately get sorted out peacefully.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

circa 90% in favour of independence from a circa 40% voter turnout. This one is likely to rumble on for a while. Let’s hope the problems we saw yesterday are as bad as it gets and any further protests/debates are peaceful ones. Would be a real shame to see this one escalate into further chaos

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

Got to say, from what I know about it all, I think the Spanish Government have been a bit heavy handed to say the say least…

I blame the Scots, they started it all…. πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

Let’s get specific here it’s all the fault of the wicked witch of the North. πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Actually the above is far to flippant, what we saw yesterday was terrible and we’ve seen some clips sent to us from our friends in Catalonia which are even worse. Fortunately they got to vote without any problems.

I’m not sure where this is all going to end because the majority want an independent Catalonia and yesterday’s events will only have strengthened that opinion.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Don’t really know all the in’s and out’s of this, but I would think the line needs to be drawn somewhere with any and all claims of independence (not just this particular region).

I mean, there’s rumblings down in Cornwall about this sort of thing, I just wonder how far it could go with groups of people or specific regions within a country across the whole of Europe? The Brittany region of France? Sicily perhaps? Certain Greek Islands? Isle of Mann? Canvey Island even?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Singapore Blue
                  Participant

Very sad to see how the Spanish government have handled this and hope things calm down quickly. I’d seen reports that the vote was likely to be much closer, with the “remainers” likely winning (however polls etc tend not to mean much anymore). Surely the central government response will further galvanise the independence push however

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Singapore Blue
                    Participant

One thought, would independence lead to Barcelona leaving the Spanish league? If so, this could be the catalyst for a European super league as the lost revenue to la liga would be huge

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

All the people I know in Catalonia want independence and voted yesterday for independence but the polls did show a pretty even split before the outlawed independence vote.

A 90% vote for independence from a 40% turnout is a very strong vote for independence now, how much that was driven by the Spanish Government’s handling of it all who knows. And who knows where it all goes from here?

If it ends in acrimony as it surely will it could impact on Barca, where that all goes again who knows.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Singapore Blue
                        Participant

Agree 999, 90% is pretty conclusive albeit the low turn out. Ether the polls were garbage (again), lots of floating voters changes their mind last minute or the Catalonians wanting to remain chose not vote when the gov declared the refuemdum illegal

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Editor
                          Keymaster

The leader of Catalonia has now come out and said they will declare independence this week or next week while the King of Spain even chipped in on behalf of Spain. It feels like this one is only just getting started as neither side is likely to change their stance any time soon

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

Mc chulkface has made a good point re Cornwall. All this independance talk is fine and I have no problem with it, however, where does it end Does that mean Leeds/Birmingham ?Newcastle/Accrington will seek independance….the in goes to High Street/Market Street etc etc….OK, daft you may say….but where does independance end. I know that in Greater Manchester people , in say Bolton do not consider themselves in any way as Greater Manchester and so it goes on

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Hightown hope

Is this Barxit?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Can us monkeys south of Watford have a vote and get rid of the monkeys north of Watford?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Nike19
                                  Participant

The problem in the declarations and protestations is the carnage and destruction of infrastructure paying the price.

I think some years down the line once Britain is totally independent, we may start to see more constituencies form across the country. Maybe Cons, Labour and LD will be a thing of the past!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Nike19.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Big Jim
                                    Participant

Surely a bigger problem ans risk is a loss of life. Plenty lost their life when Yugoslavia broke up into independent states.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Chucky McChuckface
                                      Participant

Very true Big J, but as the old clichΓ© goes “One man’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter.”

I can’t see Spain descending into that level of chaos, I certainly hope not, but then again can anybody predict what desperate people can do.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Big Jim
                                        Participant

Banjo, A problem Spain might have is it’s only relatively recently been a democratic country late 70s. I think the Spanish national police heavy tactics showed that Franco’s legacy has not completely gone away.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          nine nine nine

Jim, very true mate I seriously worry for what may happen next week

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.