Home Community General Football Bright future for England?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Editor
    Keymaster

We’re all very quick to jump on the bandwagon and slate our national team and I think most would argue that it’s justified criticism from decades of underachieving sides.

Now, I’m certainly not about to start talking up our chances for next summer because I think it’s clear we don’t have the squad to go very far.

However, I think it’s about time we started to look towards a brighter future for the national side. Could this be our greatest ever year at youth level? Has any other nation fared better across the age groups this year?

Here are our successes and near misses so far this year:

– U17 Euros final, only losing on pens
      – U20 World Champions
      – Toulon tournament (U20) Champions
      – U21 Euros semi, losing on pens to Germany
      – U19s World Champions
      – U17s World Cup Champions!!!

That’s a pretty impressive year. There will obviously be concerns about how many of these young players will get minutes at the big sides but I really believe that this batch are different. They may have to drop down the league or, as we saw with Jadon Sancho, leave the country to establish themselves but I think we have reason to be cautiously optimistic that things might just be on the up for England going forward.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Editor.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      maverick1973
      Participant

Who cares,lol.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

The women are now muscling in with their ‘feminism’! That’s not me being sexist by the way, just their approach through the national media.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

Nil-The women should always take their tops off when they score mate,lol.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Not quite the responses I was looking for but thanks guys!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

Lol Ed,jokes aside,what these lads have accomplished is not to be ignore.But they have to,simply have to be given the chance to play on regular basis in the EPL for their respective clubs!.Why waste £27.5m on a rubbish player like Fellaini,when you can instead nurture a Lallana,a Dier,a Henderson,a Ali?!.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Big Jim
                Participant

You need to update your first thread post Ed!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  FergieTime
                  Participant

For the first time since the golden generation of Terry, Neville, Rio, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes and Rooney I feel confident about the national teams future. Some brilliant young players.

Foden, Brewster, Hudson-Odoi, Sancho have got a bright future in the game. The main issue is they need to be given a chance. I can see Brewster coming in to the first team at Liverpool and Foden looks like a long term replacement for Silva. Hudson-Odoi looks like a gem of player and there were many more. Unfortunately instant success is the focal point of football today and not many managers are willing to take risks with youngsters unless they have to because of injuries.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Editor
                    Keymaster

Done Jim! Cracking year for the young lions

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      paul powers tash
                      Participant

Fair play to our U17 & U20 teams.But don’t worry I’m
                        sure messers Southgate & co.Will ensure normal service
                        is resumed in Russia in the summer?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Nike19
                        Participant

Wonderful achievement for a very young team.

The challenge now for a lifetime to come is how these very young footballers are guided (if they are), the opportunities presented or worked for when it comes to club football, and the choices made.

Being considered for the national team (which is an honour when you are selected) is earned on merit through club performances.

You would think the theory being to try and bag yourself a high profile club. But as we know, it’s very easy to be faded out in the background than to be noticed and allowed the game time in the first team.

Sincere best wishes to all those involved because I would love for them to represent our national team, senior level in the not too distant future.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

Maverick1973, hahaha :-D, that’s sexist!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Brian blue
                            Participant

newbalance…good post. maybe Southgat was actually watching these games and some maybe better than what he has now. Foden will certainly get his chance at City, Pep likes the lad and I think he will make further appearances in the squad this season despite his young age

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

Brian, take all your points.

Ideally to a degree, the FA and Club Managers should work together to ensure consistency in development of these players.

We’re succumbed admittedly as football supporters (purely down to nature) in being wrapped up in the comings and goings of our own club, and results delivered domestically.

Club Managers are naturally homed in on focus solely on what they can deliver because of the targets set and the pressure of Employers/Owners.

Got to ultimately hope these individual players find their way the right way.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                FergieTime
                                Participant

Brian-

Your opinion, who will Foden replace in this City squad? Pep has openly said he rates Foden, but if City do bring in Sanchez, then they will have Jesus, Aguero, Sane, Sterling, B Silva, D Silva, De Bruyne and Sanchez in the squad. What Pep needs to do is loan him out to a PL club for a season or 2 and when it comes time for David Silva to move on, then bring him.

The standard of quality from under 17 level to PL level is obviously big, especially with top 6-8 clubs. Foden needs to adapt to the league and develop, rather than be stuck in the sidelines or under 23 for so long.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

4 Chelsea players started for England today and a 5th came on. One of them Callum Hudson Odoi turns 17 on November 7th and has been at Chelsea since 2007 I think he’s got a real chance of making it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Big Jim
                                    Participant

Foden needs to be given some game time in the cups. And off the bench in PL games when we have the pts in the bag. Pep had a chance to do the latter earlier in the season, but chose not to. Not sure why. The lad looks great. If you are good enough you are old enough.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

Jim, I would go with care with the lad, he is one for the future but is far from physicaldevelopment for Premier, give him a go from the bench when appropiate to give him encouragement, I reckon he will be an ideal replacement for Fernandino at some stage, By the way, whatever happend to Fernando?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Big Jim
                                        Participant

We sold him to Galatasery I think Brian.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          paul powers tash
                                          Participant

I agree Jim.Foden,Diaz and Toisin need more experience/game time.
                                            Foden was outstanding against United and also Real Madrid on the USA tour
                                            pre season.

Yes we sold Fernando to Galatasaray.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.