Home Community General Football Away Goals Rule is No More!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12340830/away-goals-rule-abolished-for-uefa-competitions-from-2021-22-season

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Pagan
      Participant

This may sound odd, but I’d like to see the penalty shoot out before the extra time with the winning team then starting 1-0 up and any subsequent goals counting double……Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Makes sense to me Lucky.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Luckydestiny
          Participant

Yeah I won’t miss it nine, Iniestas away goal in last min at bridge years ago still hurts to think about πŸ˜…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Of all that’s wrong with football, they go and change this πŸ˜‚

Always created huge drama. Made for some iconic moments in European football.

Will make for even more boring football. Silly decision

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

Just toss a coin, no extra time, no penalties. the game is over 90 minutes. I expect they will conjure up another rule change given time

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

I’m actually delighted with this.

If I think back to Liverpool-Barcelona, we turned that tie completely upside down and worked a miracle. But if 1 goal had been conceded that would have been game over. Looking at it from that point of view, no tenterhooks.

Matches I think would be more open. Not quite sure about Extra Time, and I agree with Pagan about going straight into Penalties.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Mikus LFC
                  Participant

I’m actually more with Sean on this. Yes, it does seem very unfair on the surface that if you have a two legged game with the results 1-1 & then 2-2, the team with more away goals goes through. But it’s now well established in the game – and it creates an incentive for the away team to be bold to try and counter balance the home advantage so it’s trying to make the match fairer in that sense. Also, matches tend to become more alive when it matters more and if you concede an away goal, there is then more urgency needed to respond. It helps keeps the players focussed and on their toes and so it helps make the first leg more entertaining. Now, the first leg is probably going to be a more dull affair and we’ll have to wait for the second leg before the tie becomes alive and teams start taking more risks and going for it because time pressure is the only thing left.

Were they really great calls to scrap this? Given the game has been moving towards greater entertainment this seems a step in the other direction.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    FoxyFoxes
                    Participant

I reckon this will just increase the chances of underdog teams trying to park the bus and playing for pens. I really didn’t see an issue with the old rule. Everyone knew the rule and certainly made ties more interesting

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

That’s it mikius and foxy. A rule that was in place since 1965. Deal with all the other shite rules that are ruining the game and leave this one alone

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Bit revolutionary deciding a European tie by who scores the most goals over two legs.😊

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          sean the sailor
                          Participant

Ye mikius not sure was calling for this as they say πŸ˜‚

More boring games so

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Alternatively the away side will be encouraged to try and win the game rather than scoring an away goal and putting up the fences because an away goal was so important as it counted double in the event of a tie.

We’ve got it now so we’ll just have to suck it and see.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Luckydestiny
                              Participant

For me it’s about whether away goals rule deciding ties is fairer than extra time and if needed pens. Imo it is not and so I welcome the change.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                sean the sailor
                                Participant

Maybe nine maybe not. It’s something to debate in anyway and a lot of people are divided on it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Notnice
                                  Participant

I prefer this change, away goals always seemed to have an unfair side to it. Extra time and then penalties, if the better team cannot beat the underdogs in all that given time its tough luck.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Mikus LFC
                                    Participant

The problem I think lies in the two leg nature of the tie – it inevitably leads to a mentality of ensuring you stay safer in the first leg so that you stay in the tie and then wait to go for it more in the second leg when the clock ticking down inevitably wakes players up and there is then pressure to do something because as with many things in life, people don’t react until they have to. The away goal rule is an attempt to change this and liven up the first leg. Does that make the overall tie a bit unfairer? Maybe. But it’s ultimately what you want to prioritise. Given that football is ultimately about entertainment, as I say it seems a step in the other direction. This has probably come about because we’re now in the age of VAR and wanting to try and make things as fair as possible. So fairness to the nth degree is now taking priority over entertainment. If that’s what the people want, then that’s what they want. I’d be curious to see the polling on all of this though. For me, it’s as though the lawyers have started getting involved with the game.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

Why not just a simple knock out like the FA Cup, take the luck of the draw if home or away?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        steveosnakeeye
                                        Participant

They won’t make as much money Brian and money is king πŸ‘‘

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

maybe so, Steve, but it will loose whatever it has in sparkle and become a bore, they should see the signs now and plan ahead but that is something they are not capable of. Iam a football fan but even I think it is over exposed on TV and I do not think I am alone on this. On the basis of exposure being the target, why do the TV companies get together and have a football channel? Give the rest of the population a rest

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.