Home Community General Football And that was that….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Not the most enjoyable season, all rather predictable in the end… the usual guilty suspects walked off with all the important pots, declaring if it was okay for Jack Walker to do it then it’s okay for the middle east slavemasters to do it (obviously a fair comparison, as I’m sure you would all agree!), and desperately hoping we can all ignore the “sportswashing” campaign… sad to see other clubs going down that “well, what can we do about it?” path of desperation to compete… it’s the end of an era for numerous clubs I feel, those who have got relagated, those who are too fair behind the “money” clubs at the top of the league and are simply relagated to those “making up the numbers” brigade… I wonder what the odds are on a non-Middle East sportswashing FC team winning the title in the next 10 years??? Pretty long I would think…

As for my club… another summer of re-building, another summer of hoping enough idiots still “dare” to dream and fork out for season tickets, another season of wondering if the season will be over in February, March, or is the stars aliegn, April!!

And I bloody hate cricket!! ๐Ÿ™‚

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Mikus LFC
      Participant

another summer of hoping enough idiots still โ€œdareโ€ to dream and fork out for season tickets

But thatโ€™s the thing Banjo. You know there absolutely will be. The fans, both domestic and global are ultimately the ones driving all this. The big money of foreign owners may exacerbate things, but they are a symptom not a cause. It is us fans who are too obsessed with the game which has set us on this track of a few clubs inevitably soaking up the few best managers and players resulting in perfection which is great for them but itโ€™s completely sucked all the fun out of it for everyone else.

As Miguel Delaney put it in the Independent recently, โ€œThis is what happens when you give a genius these pristine laboratory conditions. It has eroded the likelihood for human failure that actually enriches sport.โ€

(Via https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-city-guardiola-ffp-abu-dhabi-b2342593.html)

If fans werenโ€™t as obsessed, clubs wouldnโ€™t be quite such ruthless business machines and youโ€™d actually have a sport again. But I donโ€™t see how this ends now, other than fans wanting their own billionaire to help them compete.

The only alternative is to drop down a few levels and watch League 1 football. But most fans wonโ€™t do that being wedded to their own premier league club. I also suspect for most fans the chase still feels better than the destination, even though theyโ€™re kidding themselves they can ever reach that destination. But as T S Eliot said, โ€œhumankind cannot bear very much reality.โ€ So they dream instead. Bit of a deep dive but there we go.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Bllody hell, that was deep… (even deeper than Buffy’s pockets in a pub!)… ๐Ÿ™‚

But you’re not wrong either… fans of all clubs will still cough up the dosh, armchairs warriors like myself will still watch on TV… and even if I want to drop a division or two, regretably they don’t have those games on my TV otherwise I would be sorely tempted… (Come on you Wrexhams!)…

Love that Migual quote too… so true. The room for error has all but been eroded and has subsequently removed that element of most sports… and you’re absolutely spot on about fans all wanting their own billionaire to even have a chance of competing (we actually have one, but his pockets are even deeper than Buffy’s!)

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          AllyDickWasQuick
          Participant

Chucky it’s been a shit-show season for Spurs and their supporters, I’m afraid Levys decision making has once again cost the club.When he eventually appoints the 12th choice manager they should tell him they want complete control of who to buy and sell, no more “club buys Daniel”
            Being honest the club is a f*** fest at best, for a supposed fan Levy fails to see what every supporter sees at every game, specifically the club has only a few players good enough to compete at a decent level. He should sell or cancel the contracts of Dier, Lenglet, Davies, Sessegnon,Skipp, Hojbjerg,Perisic,Sanchez,Tanganga,Rodon,& Lloris , plus anybody who can’t be arsed.Even with a major revamp, I can’t see Spurs getting any European place next season either , the club has fallen so far behind the top 7/8 teams and are a mid-table team at best, Levy would need to spend ยฃ500m at least to get to 5th/6th and that ain’t happening.Why after 3 years has the club no naming rights along with the money it brings, but instead are building a go-kart track and pushing for a London based NFL team to play at the ground. If and it’s a big if Enic sold up ,we may get an owner who wants to see the club challenge the best teams in the league, however Joe Lewis is making so much money from the club why would he sell ??
            Hopefully the 12th choice boss could get something out of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Gil as they are the only flair players the club has.
            Probably the best signing would be Kane ,but if he chose to leave I would’nt blame him he has been conned for the last five years with empty promises and lies.
            A big shout out for Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, and Aston Villa for the football they’ve played this season it’s been a breath of fresh air,also a special mention to Liverpool who admittedly left it late, Manchester United and lastly the awesome Manchester City .
            Have a good Summer Chucky, as for me I’m dreading it !!!!!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

We’ll have to agree to disagree a little there… it’s very easy to blame Danny-Boy for everything (and I’m certainly not saying his 100% innocent either), but some of the blame has to lay with the managers as well that we’ve had (yes, blame Danny for “signing” them for sure!). Was it Danny’s fault Maureen had Son/Kane/Bale at his disposel all season and forgot to play them all the time (ffs, how many times was Bale on the bench? And he still had the best minutes per goal ratio that season in the entire division by a considerable margin… excpet for one lad who made 1 sub apperance and scored! ๐Ÿ™‚ ), how many of last summers signings were actually Conte/Paratici targets or Levy’s??

It’s all very easy to say Levy/Lewis could have spunked a bit more cash (afterall, it’s not our money!) but I do think our Spuds have spunked enough to be better than where we’re at… but a lot of that is also down to the managers we’ve had…

But I do agree about some of our players… I was thinking about it last night, with all the “loaners” coming back, that’s not a bad squad at all on paper (pity the game is played on grass!).

I know he isn’t coming, but I would love to see that Zebra fella from Brighton have a go with that squad…

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Rover
              Participant

I don’t even support City but they have raised the standards and made the game more enjoyable to watch if you a football connoisseur. It’s great for the game cause now the other clubs like United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs,Chelsea, Newcastle will also lift their levels.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                sean the sailor
                Participant

Rover, I donโ€™t like watching city as they dominate every game. Not sure how is good for the game at all. Itโ€™s no contest at the minute. As long as pep is there, itโ€™s going to be very difficult to challenge

On spurs, weโ€™re do they go now? They had two managers who something everywhere but spurs in Jose and conte. Absolutely fantastic facilities but a complete shit show on the pitch

Kane needs to move Iโ€™m sorry to say. What an outstanding player and deserves to be invoked in challenging for trophies.

It was a bizarre season with the World Cup etc.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Chucky McChuckface
                  Participant

That’s a very idealistic view, Rover, I’ll give you that… but other than Saudi Arabia, nobody has the cash (or the balls to ignore the rules!) to actually compete with Abu Dhabi, maybe the Qatari’s will, depending on where they land but it’s all over for actual football teams.

As I said in my first comment… you’ll get long odds on a non-soverign team winning the Prem in the next 10 plus years… not with the current stone-the-homo-willy-waving competition the Middle East is playing with.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

ANd like Waspy, I’m not a huge fan of watching Abu Dhabi play, it’s a bit like watching the lions eat the slaves at the colloseum, only worth watching if you don’t like the slaves that are being eaten! ๐Ÿ™‚

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

2 Wonder Stories this Weekend and teams that I actually wanted have won Promotion. Congrats today to Sheffield Wednesday and Luton Town.

Chucks, it’s not just about rich owners mate and buying x y z that sorts out all the problems.

Fans the follow the Prem can be easily vacuumed and forget that there are other vital ingredients that deliver success and joy.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

You’re right, Nil, it’s not just about having the cash to splash (look no further than the Jammy Todgers for evidence of that)… but how many times to “poor” teams win the Prem? It might not be the only ingrediant for sure, but it’s the most important one… think about it, would Pepe win the Prem with Bournemouth’s budget?? Not bloody likely…

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

Mate, I’ve been one of the worse as you know for years in handling adversity re my team. Before going further first up, I would have to agree with Shinehead re Levy. I just think he has his own threshold in terms of how far he will invest on the actual Pitch. Commendable re the new Stadium, but then he’s thought further afield from a commerce point of view to generate revenue as a venue.

I get your frustrations re what’s needed on the pitch and not to be a standstill and actually show Ambition and Drive. I’ve let Man City get to me and probably will do I’m sure. What I do know is that there’s always hope; a little answer starring at you that you actually did the double on Pep this season.

New Manager, first port of Call Chucks and a Good one. Chin Up!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

The glass half full approach is one way of looking at it… but I think the reality is now, due to the influx of “money” clubs, even “normal” clubs have to spend 150-200 million a year just to tread water… let alone catch up… for the sake of English football, not just my team, the bubble needs to burst…

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Editor
                              Keymaster

Have to agree re City Sean. I don’t particularly enjoy their games. It’s not end to end, exciting football. To me it’s more like that image when you have a smaller person trying to punch a taller person but the taller person is just holding the smaller person at arm’s length without breaking a sweat. It’s like watching an adult team play a kid’s team. I understand why City fans enjoy it but it’s not particularly entertaining for the neutrals imo but we’re all different.

That’s spot on from Miguel Delaney.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Editor
                                Keymaster

It is like someone has found a cheat code on football manager and are making the most of it. To win the league last season and then go out and buy the best striker in the world to add to that side is financial power we’ve not seen before in this league. There have been big spenders but never before has a PL team had the financial muscle to go and get the very best in the world. That was a luxury always reserved for the Italian or Spanish teams under previous spells of PL dominance.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Rover
                                  Participant

Both clubs announce that neither Kane or Rice will be sold to English clubs and will have to go to a mainland European club nd that’s for whoever can afford them.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Adlab
                                    Participant

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

Just thought you might be interested

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Nike19
                                      Participant

That description outlined about Man City in the present day was Manchester United in the 90s and 00s. Apart from Arsenal and Chelsea, not many clubs could fight and compete. At least now, teams have a belief of taking something from the Ethiad.

Pep has fears I’m sure so he constantly reminds his players to step it up. It’s the level of aggression and competitiveness that’s applied that little extra from a Man City player and trying to install fear into the opposition.

Man United did this. You would be hard pressed to at least come away with a point at Old Trafford. It’s taken though 10 years for the rest of us to have enjoyed that freedom and no longer of one team dominance.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Chucks, that’s why I accentuate the point of Levy in being ambitious and being prepared to spend big on at least a handful of players. Importantly, keeping hold of your existing ones and not becoming a selling club and more to the point a pushover.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

Well spotted Adders, let’s all stop and give a round of applause to Abu Dhabi, they’ve managed to sell hundreds of players stockpiled around their 13 clubs which they bought during the “we played by the rules” years so the balance sheet looks half presentable to Joe Public… don’t forget that perfectly by the rules tactic of paying Mancini from multiple clubs too… makes the bottome line look really good when you’re obvioulsy not cheating…

Anyway, getting a cab for the first 26 miles of a marathon and then jogging the last 300 yards yelling “Look, I’m jogging like the rest of you!” isn’t much of an excuse (although I’m sure your lawyers will find a loop hole somewhere about somebody colored shoelaces or something!)

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 80 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.