Home Community General Football Addressing the football problem

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian blue
    Participant

A number of clubs now under serious threat. The football authorities have no clear plan how to reolve it. The Govt should not be resolving it after all, they are a business like any other business and have to plan better than they have been doing. There have and still are a lot of suspect investors and old time “I run the club” owners but neither of these scenarios are sustainable. Where the money comes from is less important as long as it has a very structured business plan. It maybe a little unfair at this moment but a line has to be drawn somewhere and the structure as we have it now is poorly managed and needs a major cull. Clubs have to pay there own way, just like thousands of other small/medium and large business. This means they have to think outside their existing income strategy go gate receipts, which will never be enough for most, transfer balances, and club merchandise. Never going to be enough. Those that and will pay huge transfer fees are labelled, but the are the buying club, the seller gets the revenue but they are not seen in the same way. In my mind, they are both guilty of escaalting the problem no matter what the scale of the transfer

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      sean the sailor
      Participant

I see wage cap introduced to league 1 and 2 Brian and players aren’t happy

Lack of funds coming in from match day crowds is really going to kill some clubs but even in the pl big money is still being spent

Chelsea are using all their money from previous sales so good luck to them .

Sheff Utd and Leeds though are paying big money for players.

So strange at the minute. No crowds etc. Hard to get excited about football

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Brian blue
        Participant

Think you are right about the wage cap Sean, no reason why it should not happen in Premier either would not mind it so much if premier players acted responsibly but they get money too easily, too soon and become a poor example to others. I know some are careful and even screwed with there earnings but I believe these are exceptions.
          It is all about balancing the books whatever the club and not living above your means, after all, that is what us mortals have to do every day

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Mikus LFC
          Participant

Match day revenue has been making less and less of a proportion of the total revenue of a club in recent years, to most of the premier league clubs anyway. If the fans keep paying for the TV subscriptions, which they will, then it will be of little interest to the top clubs to change anything. Clubs in more trouble are going to have to look at things like more commercial deals.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Really mikius? Just asking mate as Liverpool get about 3 million a game at home , that’s a good few quid chum

I always thought it was a huge part of the clubs income but I never thought about subscriptions and other forms of revenue???

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

Do you both think that those running the game are looking more to Corporate fans and even more selective areas and gimmicks whereby reducing the normal man in the street fan. Some would say they do not even need fans anymore but somewhere along the line brake needs to be put on the crazy running and manipulation of the game. I know it will never get back now without financial input but I do feel sad about it as well

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Mikus LFC
                Participant

Sean, it’s still a nice sum, but a club is much less dependent on it now I think, and it is now the smallest of the main revenue earners of the club. Via the football finance blogger Swiss Ramble, Liverpool’s 2019 revenue breakdown is as follows:

Broadcasting: ÂŁ260.8 mill
                  Commercial: ÂŁ188 mill
                  Match day: ÂŁ84.2 mill
                  Total: ÂŁ533 mill

So match day revenue accounts for just 15.8% of the clubs revenue now, though that percentage drops further if you add any player sale profits.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Mikus LFC
                  Participant

Brian, undoubtedly football is now seen as an entertainment product in the same way as a music concert is, hence the price for a ticket is about the same for both and within those you’ll obviously have a corporate element. But we can’t be surprised that clubs are increasingly pivoting towards their global TV fan base. Expect the game 39 proposal (to play league games abroad) to resurface at some point.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    sean the sailor
                    Participant

Cheers mikius, that’s interesting chum

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

Great Discussion Point Above All.

I do feel Gate Money/Attendances for clubs ‘further down the pecking order’ are somewhat reliant on this particular source of income in order to manage and overall survive.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Adlab
                        Participant

As we have published accounts figures for Utd we can see the effect of no crowds.
                          Last year Utd had a profit of ÂŁ19m and matchday revenue of ÂŁ110m. So even though there will be cost savings for games without crowds, the impact of no crowd is stark. This would lead to big losses for all teams that dont have other big commercial revenue.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

Surprised there’s only 20 extra live TV games this season to help boost revenues.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            sean the sailor
                            Participant

That’s it mikius. Burnley abd Newcastle have no live games for the first month.

All games should be live with no crowds.

One thing I can never I stand is how utd can continually spend big but are in debt?

I’ve no idea how it works. I know the glaciers are sucking money out of utd but they continue to buy players for big money on a consistent basis.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Sean, from the Financial Times. At the end of March, Manchester United had £90.3m in cash and an additional £150m available through its revolving credit facility, giving it “financial flexibility”.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                sean the sailor
                                Participant

Cheers nine. I’ve no idea about utd finances and understand it’s brings in so much money commercially.

I read an article about how other fans shouldn’t comment on the glaciers reign as they don’t understand. That’s it for me. I don’t understand as they are despised but utd always have money to spend ???

No problem with utd spending. They are huge and generate their own funds. I’ve actually no problem with any team spending

What makes our league win more satisfying is that we used our money so well through sales. We spent 7m last in 18 months. That’s great as we win the league but I’m concerned now that we do need to spend when I really think about it

It’s bizarre other so called smaller clubs like sheff Utd, Leeds can spend money and we can’t?

Still plenty of time but I really think we don’t have anything to spend

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Sean, the United fans gripe with the Glazers is that they’ve taken the best part of a billion ÂŁ’s out of the Club.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.