Home Community General Football 100 Best Footballers in the World: According to….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

… The Guardian…

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/dec/19/the-100-best-footballers-in-the-world-2017-interactive

Some lower than I would have thoughts, some higher than I would have thought… what do the rest of you think?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

Jamie Vardy is having a Christmas Party!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

Yeah not sure about Mbappe being that high just yet. Hazard probably should be a bit higher. Kane is good but is he the 5th best player in the world? Pogba is a bit low too. He took a while finding his feet but he’s such an important player for club and country now. Alli probably a bit high going by his performances this season. Silva and Aguero a bit low too IMO

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

It doesn’t really seem like any particular order or of a ranking but more like a 100 players jumbled in.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

Hazard in 10th place.?

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

Somewhere in the article they’ve explained how they’ve got the “list”, basically a survey of 169 people from all across the footballing spectrum (not that I’ve heard of about 98% of them), but I would say it was a fair range of both positions within the game and countries around the globe so from that aspect it’s pretty fair. Off course, doesn’t mean nothing in real terms… 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Big Jim
                Participant

David Silva at 38 below Pogba, Alli, Mane and even Lukaku now that is funny! Sterling at 62. Based on what he’s only scored 15 goals with about 6 assists this year. Compared to Alli. And Lukaku Lol?? Mbappe is all hype so far! Aside from the top 4 the rest are a right mix.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Big Jim
                  Participant

Truth is Ed Pogba wouldn’t get in this City side yet he is ranked way above Sterling, Silva and Sane. He’s important to United as he’s the your best player in a bang average United side.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

I do have a theory if Emoji-Man had sensible haircuts we wouldn’t notice him as much as we do during a game, he does stand out a bit, a lot like his side-kick, Elbow-Bloke… give them both sensible “Jan The Man” haircuts and they would be playing for Stoke or something.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Editor
                      Keymaster

Jim, I think I agree with you that Pogba wouldn’t get into this City side but I’d say that’s more to do with the type of player he is. He’s an all action powerful and physical midfielder rather than the small, neat passer that Pep prefers. Quality wise, he gets into any team in the league IMO. The way he absolutely bossed the so called stars of the England side the last time England played France showed the difference in quality.

Granted, we are a pretty average side at the moment but that says more about the rest of the league than it does us. We’re quite a way above the rest of the league, City aside, which goes to show how bad the rest must be!

Pogba is an easy target because of his “image” and his fee but if you watch him every game, you can see he is a cut above the rest of the side. Him and DDG are our two world class players, who I think would get into any side anywhere. After those 2, we’re just not good enough but there’s just no way Pogba should be as low as that.

In 8 PL appearances, Pogba has been MOTM twice with 5 assists and 3 goals. We’ve badly missed him when he’s been gone and we’ve still somehow managed to stay quite far away from everyone bar City.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

Lukaku is nowhere near Kane or Aguero but I certainly wouldn’t put him any lower. I think only Kane (or is it Aguero?) sits above Lukaku on PL goals for the last 5 years. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but his goalscoring record is right up there with the best of the last 5 years or so.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          maverick1973
                          Participant

Jim-Are you drunk pal? Mbappe all hype? How did your City get on against him last season?
                            United are bang average,but as the ed said it,more to do with the rest of the league and City bulldozing everything on their path.Plus,add to that the manager in charge who plays the type of football we all know about!
                            Kane 5th? Crazy stuff indeed,but where is Fellaini?!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            maverick1973
                            Participant

Pogba would walk in any EPL teams imho,light-years ahead of Fernandinho and Gundogan,Matic too.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

Jim-Sterling,Sane,and Silva are completely different players to Pogba,you can compare PP to Gundogan and Fernandinho,but not the other 3.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                maverick1973
                                Participant

Kane ahead of Lewa,Suarez,Cavani,Ozil,Sanchez,KDB ahead of Kroos,Modric,Iniesta,Eriksen ahead of Ozil,Dybala,Verratti.Crazy stuff!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Big Jim
                                  Participant

12 goals in 18mths for Pogba! Not great for an attacking midfielder, if he’s so good why have the likes OF Neville and scholes keep saying he needs to up his game? . He Certainly wouldn’t be able to do Fernandinios job as well as him. Gundog isn’t a first team player. No sorry he’s way overpriced. Wildried zaha is playing better than him. and I stand by my statement. The only United player that would get in the City side is DeGea and even that is now debatable given Ederson form.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Big Jim
                                    Participant

Mbappe has has what one season. And at times he has been brilliant at at others he has been far from the finished article. That’s why I said hype.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Editor
                                      Keymaster

His goal record in the last 18 months just backs up what I said Jim. He had a slow start to his Utd career and took a while to find his feet. Before Matic arrived, he was played far too deep. I completely agree with those who say he still has a lot of potential to unlock. He’s definitely not reached his full potential yet. His 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 league games suggests he’s definitely playing much better this season. We’d have more points now if he’d played all season, without doubt.

I agree he couldn’t do Fernandinho’s job but I’m also certain that the opposite is true. There’s no way Fernandinho would be as important to this Utd side as Pogba is. Put it this way, if you offered any French man the chance to drop Pogba and replace him with Fernandinho, I doubt you’d get a single taker.

More than happy to disagree on this one! I do agree though that Silva and Aguero are criminally low on this list, so it’s not all said with my Utd hat on.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

KDB, many people’s player of the season has 3 more league assists and 3 more goals than Pogba in 10 more games so his record is as good as most for the few games he’s played

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

But KDB has a sensible haircut so he so doesn’t get as noticed as much! 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.