Home Community General Football Where would you rank this current City side?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    cm
    Participant

This city side are spectacular to watch, no other side with the exception of Liverpool in the 2nd half of the 2014 season have come close imo. But I have reservations about them being a all time great team. With the exception of KDB and possibly Silva and Aguero, how many of these City players would get in to the great United team of 99/08, the Arsenal side of 98,02/04 and the Chelsea team of 04-06.

If I had a choice of picking players from the sides above and the players from this current City team, I would choose the following-

Schmeichel

G Neville Terry Vidic Cole

Vieira Scholes

Ronaldo Giggs/Pires

Henry Bergkamp/Rooney

All Pep is exposing how poor quality the PL is compared to previous seasons, with the exception of United, most of the other top 6 sides are worse off compared to last season. A brilliant team to watch, but a long way to go compared to other great sides IMO.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

a) Isn’t copy paste great! ๐Ÿ™‚

b) Reckon you want to ask that question in another 12/18 months because, like most, I reckon they’ve only just got going!

c) Rooney? Really?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        cm
        Participant

A) It is brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚

B) The great Arsenal sides were judge from one season i.e. the 98 side was different to the invincible side. I am judging this City team from this season, they have broken numerous records, on course to get over 100 points and a zillion goals.

C) Rooney in his prime was quality. If you played him as a number 10, he was world class, played him up top, he would score 30 goals, play him out wide, he would assist, a true team player. Name me another player who could do that. I admit the last 4-5 years he waned(see what I did there) with his contributions, but I am talking about the Rooney of 02-12.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

A) It is brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚ (see what I did there?)

B) Furry muff, but saying this City side isn’t as good based on only 16 games is a bit unfair, at least wait and see how many trophies they end up with come May!

C) Your “waned” joke was the best part of that “comment”…. will always think if he applied himself better (smoking, shagging etc…)… (and I mean lack off, not the amount off!)… he could have been so much better.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            cm
            Participant

Even if they won the quadruple, went undefeated, scored 2 trillion goals, I believe that would say more about the quality of teams they up against than the City side it self. Pep has got them playing in a unstoppable unit. I am a massive fan of Pep when it comes to styles of play, the PL needed him in order for others to take notice and evolve.

I agree Rooney would or could have been better if he applied himself better. But he was always a bulky lad and we are talking hindsight, at 17 he was better than any player out there at the same age i.e. Aguero, KDB, Silva, Kane, one trick pony Ronaldo etc, so perhaps we have a had a Benjamin Button footballer. Taking away what could have been, he was still outstanding on his day.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

Hmmm… I would argue the point that the League is arguably more competitive now than it was back during the SKY 4 days to be honest, so would have to disagree with your “best of the rest” comments. If anything I would say it gives the current City mob even more kudo’s.

Sounds a bit like the “Real are now crap as Spuds beat them” argument to me!

City are sweeping away everybody before them and doing it with a style that’s bloody annoying to everybody who isn’t a City-zen, and are most likely to break a lot of records in the process. Imagine what they’re going to do next year when they’ve spent another 200 million!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Blaze
                Participant

if the quality of the EPL is bad how come there are 5 teams though to the next round of the CL which is a record

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  cm
                  Participant

Banjo-

I have to disagree. Compare this season to last when Chelsea were running away with it. After 18 games last season, the top to 6th place was separated by 13 points, with Chelsea leading 2nd place city by 6 points. This season top to 7th are separated by 21 points, with City being ahead of 2nd place United by 11 points. The gap between 2nd and 6th last season was 6 points and the gap between 2nd and 7th this season is 10 points. When it comes to points total and goals scored, the 4 teams outside of Manchester in the top 6 are worse off compared to last season and are not performing to the standards of last season.

Compare this Chelsea side to the top 4 days, this United side to the top 4 days, this Liverpool side to the top 4 days and this Arsenal side to the top 4 days. In terms of player quality, players from today’s side would not come close.

Sounds a bit like the โ€œReal are now crap as Spuds beat themโ€ argument to me!

That did make me laugh, but I am not indicating that.

Blaze-

In general I believe outside of your obvious teams such as Bayern, PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrids, the quality of teams in the CL have diminished.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

Just for the sake of accuracy here’s what I actually said after Spurs beat Real in the CL which was consistent with the vast majority of the match reports and pundits:

“Not wishing to take anything away from a great Spurs win but that was the worst performance that Iโ€™ve seen from a Real team in quite some time and reveals how Real ended up getting beaten by recently promoted Girona at the weekend.

Acknowledging that Real have a few injuries I canโ€™t currently see Real getting anywhere near defending the CL or La Liga titles. The team is aging and needs investment imo.”

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      goatistuta
                      Participant

Oh god!!!! I donโ€™t even want to start this but here goes….

Firstly who do you support? Letโ€™s get this out of the way? As a guess at what you have wrote Iโ€™m assuming Utd?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by goatistuta.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        goatistuta
                        Participant

Iโ€™ll carry on, so you believe that the best ever starting 11 has 7 Utd players in? Really? Vidic over Ferdinand seems strange for a start and G Neville best right back ever, yep yr a Utd supporter all right

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          goatistuta
                          Participant

Even if they won the quadruple, went undefeated, scored 2 trillion goals, I believe that would say more about the quality of teams they up against than the City side it self. Pep has got them playing in a unstoppable unit. I am a massive fan of Pep when it comes to styles of play, the PL needed him in order for others to take notice and evolve.

Copy and paste, lolololololol

So in your eyes if we win all 4, go undefeated, score boat loads of goals it would be other peopleโ€™s fault rather than the quality of City?

Sooooo, no one has EVER done the domestic treble and that wouldnโ€™t be an amazing thing? Or also add the CL to make it 4 but again thatโ€™s everyone elseโ€™s fault instead of City being awesome?

Jesus, why have you even bothered disguising the fact that you hate City and you want them to fail and if they donโ€™t you are saying itโ€™s crap and doesnโ€™t mean anything because everyone is rubbish.

In my view this league is the best itโ€™s been in a long time, city just happen to be doing rather well, no need to diminish it by this dig!!!

5 teams in last 16 of CL but league is rubbish because City doing well, jeeeeeez

Ok Iโ€™m out, lol

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

I don’t think the performances of this City team this season can be diminished with the suggestion that it’s a weak PL.

For sure Chelsea are currently running behind their last season’s points total at the same stage but even if Chelsea were on the same points total as last season City would still be comfortably ahead.

For me City are a very special team alongside other special teams in history at United, Liverpool and the Spurs team of the early 60’s. City have beaten all the top 5 club’s now whether at home or away some quite comfortably we’ve already seen a 129 year win record shattered by City and I suspect other records will fall to this City side this season.

City are not only massive odds on favourites for the PL but also short priced favourites for the CL too winning the quadruple which includes the CL as well as going completely unbeaten in the PL might be a bridge a tad too far though even for this City team.

But worryingly for the rest of us particularly if Pep signs a new contract and City continue to spend as they have given the strength of their current squad we could all be chasing them for a long time and if the CL trophy doesn’t arrive this season it can only be a matter of time imo.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              goatistuta
                              Participant

Rather more articulate than me 3 x 9.

The non cocky way myself or other fellow blues have gone about this season, game after game, staying grounded, trying to be under the radar then posts like that thinly veiled dig just winds me up.

apologies everyone, grrrrr

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

goatistuta, the by mate I think the City posters on here given how your team is performing and how City are leaving every other team in their wake you guys postings on here have been a credit to the club you support ( just my personal opinion) . Cheers 999

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  cm
                                  Participant

Goatistista-

Nothing thinly veiled dig about your team. Just expressing an opinion. My win all 4 and scoring zillion comment was obviously tongue in cheek.

If Gary Neville was not the PL greatest right back to date, then who is? I am picking players from the 3 great United teams Ferguson built, the 2 great Arsenal teams built by Arsenal and the great Chelsea from 04-06 and 2010 and this current United side. I applaud this City side like I applauded the Chelsea side in 2010 when they were scoring for fun and broke the PL record for goals scored and the Liverpool side of 2014 when they were beating teams for fun. I just believe they have a long way to go before you judge them as one of the greats and if this side was playing in 98 and 99(Manchester United, Arsenal ans Chelsea) or 03-04(Manchester united, Arsenal and Chelsea), 04-10(Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool) then they would have come across 2-3 truly world class or very good teams from that era. Chelsea have some good players in Hazard, Kante and Morata, yet Kante and Hazard are the only players who would get in the Chelsea side 10 years ago. Arsenal have got Sanchez, Ozil, the only players who would challenge in their great sides, United have got De Gea, Pogba, the only players who would challenge to get in the great side of 10 years ago and Liverpool have got Mane and Coutinho, the only players who would get in the team that had Carragher, Riise, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Gerrard and co. If only a couple of players from each team today would get in to past great sides, doesn’t that tell you the quality has dimished. Not in England but across europe too.

Look at Citys competition for the title, United have improved but on their day are lacklustre, Chelsea have been inconsistent, same with Arsenal, Spurs are not the same side from last season and Liverpool are a poor defence away from dropping points.

What exactly impressive about 5 English teams going through in the CL? 3 of the teams were in groups that you expected them to go through. Spurs were impressive, but like Nine and Banjo have said they played Madrid at the right time and Dortmund have only won 3 games since the start of december. Chelsea were impressive, but came unstuck against a team thats currently 4 in their league.

If you look at the current United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool teams, the players would struggle to come any where the great sides of the past in the PL with the exception of possibly Mane, Coutinho, Sanchez. That practically sums up the current crop of players to me. The league is not as strong as you may believe.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    maverick1973
                                    Participant

goatistuta-Yes mate,I too echo 999`s comments re City and their fans posting on here.And yes,CM[captain marvel] is a United fan.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

City are currently 6 points better off and have scored 16 goals more compared to Chelsea at the same point last season a season where Chelsea went on to claim at 30 the most wins in a PL season.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

For me, this City side is quality-wise as good as, if not better than any side we’ve seen in the PL. Man for man, I’d say they’re easily a match for any of Fergie’s sides. What made Fergie’s reign so special IMO was not any particular outstanding team but the way they constantly evolved and retained that winning desire year after year.

City are currently a long way from that kind of dominance but, as 999 suggests, with their spending power, their impressive off field commercial growth and Pep staying for any length of time, you wouldn’t put it past them getting closer to that kind of long term dominance.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          cm
                                          Participant

Chelsea are 8 points worse off and have scored less goals compared to this stage last season. That indicates you’re not coming across the same Chelsea side as from last season. The point I am making.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.