Home Community General Football Week 29 1/2: Return of the Premi

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jun/13/will-home-advantage-really-vanish-when-the-premier-league-resumes

Not long to go, with a couple of mid-week “catch up games” to get out the way. An interesting article above, a somewhat statistical analysis of the opening 4/5 weeks in Germany behind closed doors.

Anyway, wins for Villa and City on Wednesday would be preferred, but for obvious reasons the big game of the weeks (for me at any rate!) is Friday’s match-up between Spuds and YooUtd.

Lose that and I think even the most optimistic of Spuds will be thinking “Next year will be our year!”

Kinda funny, depending on what happens with Moneybags appeal and results next week, us Spuds could end up either 1 point out of a CL spot, or 11 points out of a CL spot… funny old game!

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

Can’t wait now!

Hard to see any movement in the top 4. The bookies have all 4 as odds on to remain there and I’d tend to agree with that. The lockdown came at a terrible time for Utd who were just finding form but I think Utd, Spurs, Wolves and Co will have to rely on City having their ban upheld to get CL next season.

Low scoring draw for Friday’s game would be my bet Chucky

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Top 3 perhaps, but when it’s basically one win separating teams (like 4th & 5th) I wouldn’t write anybody off. Nobody is really showing any level of consistency (maybe YooUtd were a bit in the 10/12 games before it all stopped) but other than that, it’s the season where nobody wants to win. It all depends on whoever gets going first.

Past YooUtd, I would agree, it all depends on the outcome of “Money-gate”…

As for next Friday… single goal victory for YooUtd based on some bullshit contentious decision, that’s normally how it goes against your mob… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Adlab
            Participant

Hello all. Hope everybody is well. Not been too good last couple of weeks. Bit better now.
              At the moment little interest in the restart..no crowds etc. Perhaps (hopefully) it will changw.
              Really odd feeling not to be bothered!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

Good to hear you’re on the mend Adlab.

It’s understandable really from a City fan’s perspective. You’ve nothing left to play for in the league. You’re nailed on for CL but no chance if winning the league. Should really be a chance for Pep to blood some youngsters. Would be good to see him do that

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                sean the sailor
                Participant

I’m looking forward to it now chums.

Hopefully they add some noise in the stadiums. It does make a difference

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Form goes out of the window with this PL restart imo and I think we could see some topsy turvy results.

I hope you’re right Ed but I’m not so sure, Fernandes has had a very positive effect on United and that signing may well have saved Ole’s bacon and I can see a fully fit and re galvanised Pogba adding to that in midfield and Rashford back scoring goals up front.

Chelsea imo have a tough last nine games and there are still uncertainties about Pedro and Willian playing through the full 9 games (Chelsea are running out of time to agree a short-term contract extension with Pedro and Willian in order to complete the rest of the season at Stamford Bridge the paperwork needs to be completed before the June 23 deadline). And whether Kante will come back and play.

Even if all three of those issues works out positively for Chelsea I think Chelsea’s best chance of CL football may lie in finishing 5th and sneaking in the back door assuming City are banned which has yet to be decided and tbh I wouldn’t really want to be qualifying for the CL in those circumstances. Although better Chelsea than Spurs.?

On the positive side for Chelsea we do have Abraham,Loftus Cheek and Pulisic back and hopefully fully fit as well as potentially Kante providing his heads in the right place re playing so hopefully we can stay in the hunt for 4th place.

It’s a shame the title is done and dusted but there’s still a lot to be decided in both the PL and the Championship which will make the final games interesting.

From a Chelsea perspective I’m looking forward to getting the next 9 games out of the way and much more to next season.?

Cheers All. Stay safe everyone 9’s.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Adlab
                    Participant

Premier League players’ names will be replaced on the back of their shirts with ‘Black Lives Matter’ for the first 12 matches of the restarted season.

My understanding is that you cannot have political words or motifs on the shirt. Pep had to cover up a yellow flower for example.

Have I got this wrong?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Brian blue
                      Participant

Ed…one thing for sure….Pep will go out to win every game playing his brand of football. I would like to see 3/4 youngsters given a run but doubt that will happen. Foden, Garcia. yes for sure I think at a suitable time

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Pagan
                        Participant

Adlab, you’re right about political slogans, but you are allowed certain other things, β€œkick it out” was allowed, Chelsea had β€œright to play” on their shirts in Europe so I would think β€œblack lives matter” will be ok…..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

I think the “slogan” thing comes down to whether it’s a personal choice rather than an “approved” message.
                            Might be wrong…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

I think you’re right Chucky if its not done by the PL it won’t happen.

Which rightly or wrongly makes sense because you can’t have individual Clubs and individuals putting out their own political messages no matter how valid they might be.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Mikus LFC
                              Participant

Printing movements against slavery on clothes made in sweatshops by underpaid labour…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

Like I have mentioned before, I prefer shirts to have NO names , slogans or messages on. Shirts now are just “bill boards” with feet that run over a football pitch., even Barca eventually succumbed to advertising. I guess some like it and the clubs obviously do for the money. There was a time when the numbers were so big you could hardly tell the colour of the shirt but it was better than looking at a name of a product or service to be hawked. OK, I am grumpy again to day but I dislike any form of political/social issues in football….it is not the place

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Brian, I hear what you say about political messages but like it or not I think we all have to accept that even the biggest Clubs need their sponsors names splashed all over their shirts probably now more than ever.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Pagan
                                    Participant

Religious slogans and symbols are also banned, makes you wonder how Nike get round that, I appreciate that the tick or swoosh is a modern trademark, but Nike was the Goddess of victory in Ancient Greece, and there are people who still worship the ancient gods, in fact Greece have recognised Hellenism as a religion….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

Nine…that is part of my point of view. If the clubs managed themselves right they would not be so dependent on such sponsors. I know in the real world, that is not going to happen now and the game will be worse off for it as we shall see eventually . I doubt that betting and TV companies are not really bothered about fans be locked out, as long as the game goes on money will roll on/in.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        nine nine nine

Brian, there’s a lot of truth in what you say as always but on the positive side the TV monies and Sponsorship monies has led to some of the best players in the world coming to the PL and to our Clubs and it’s been a privilege to watch some of them in the live games that the majority of us wouldn’t have seen were it not for for Sky and BT Sport.

I’m looking forward to City v Arsenal tomorrow night a game I wouldn’t have had a chance to watch without the live TV coverage although the fans will be a big miss. Cheers 9’s

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Anonymous

I don’t agree with the assumption that the top 4 remains as is. This is technically not a whole new season but it really is… and more. The players have not had this level of rest/relaxation ever in their careers. Add this to the feeling of safety that some will have and the chance of reset that others will have and you’ve just got a whole new stew going.

Will Liverpool go the rest of the games undefeated? NOT A BLOODY CHANCE IN HELL. Will they escape without losing more than 3? That’s a question worth asking. I’d give them a 50-50 chance of that. It won’t matter in terms of this conversation but they are a good example of where things are going.

Now, I don’t agree with Redknapps stupidity in saying that “oh, people will fear Utd now!”.. I mean, they are definitely on the up since they signed Fernandez. I called it, that his tenacity is what they needed. Redknapp saying that everyone will fear them now though is obviously retarded, even though i think they will finish above Leicester.

Chelsea probably won’t be shifted and will likely end up 3rd but you never know. Will Man City still be 2nd by the time things are done and dusted? That’s definitely not set in stone either. If they don’t handle things really well over the coming months, they could be in for a major collapse.

You just never know though. I mean, Liverpool might be 4th next season. The PL is a scarily competitive league that ebbs and flows.

We somehow find a way to convince ourselves over and over, that the way it is now is the way it’s going to be for a long long time. No matter how often we’re shown otherwise, we stick to these guns.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,011 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.