Home Community General Football VAR: Yes? No? Maybe?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Only watched the first half last night, but did notice a couple of occasions where the MIB did his best air traffic controller impression and check stuff via his head-set. None of the “incidents” were major, granted, but I thought the process in general went quite smoothly with hardly any interruption to the game in general. I’m sure opinions may differ if/when it has a major impact on a “major” game, but it all seemed okay to me!

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Hightown hope

I just think there is too much confusion as to what can be referred to the VAR. If you’re actually in the stadium you haven’t a chance of knowing what is going on. Maybe I’m a Luddite, but it’s a no from me!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Double H… just as much confusion without to be honest, but then again being stuck in Finland I’m an armchair warrior, so the commentators were pretty decent in describing what was going on when the VAR was involved (and showing the reply’s of the incidents in question).

Never really thought about it from a “proper” fans perspective to be honest….

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Hightown hope

It’s not like the Hawkeye system in cricket or tennis, where the crowd can see on the screen the decision being made and the reasons for that decision. Nobody in the stadium has a clue what is going on!!

Part of football’s beauty is it’s speed and the fact that it flows. Personally I think it is worth a few dodgy decisions, which, let’s face it, all give us something to moan about, no-one more than Wenger(!!), to keep the game flowing and everyone understanding what is going on!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

Double H… that’s the thing, we all love it right up until some sneaky toe-rag from the “other” team cheats or the MIB makes an incorrect decision against one of our own noble warriors…. πŸ™‚

Reckon I’m sticking with a “maybe” for now… not that it matters too much, I reckon we’re stuck with it whether we like it or not.

I would say from what I saw, the first half wasn’t quite as mental as their game last week, maybe it was due to it being a first leg or tactics or something… or maybe it was because the players knew “Big Brother” was watching (although I note Wheelchair still managed to fall over his own feet once or twice!).

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Big Jim
              Participant

Hightown, so if you get a decision go against you guys on Sunday that on video replay would have been overturned and that costs you three points and you then miss out on that top four spot come May by two points. And that then costs LFC circa Β£40m in lost revenue!? Would you still think VAR is a bad idea? Ps by the way I think you will definitely end up top 4 cone May, and certainly don’t want the game decided by a dodgy decision on Sunday.? Jim

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Big J… dunno about that Top 4 claim, reckon the current Top 3 are nailed on but 4th is all to play for. They’ve just lost Wee Phil and I really do think Virgil Van Winkle isn’t the answer to all their defensive prayers… a good tonking by your chaps I think could really see them crumble!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Hh, must admit the wait on the two potential decisions that VAR analysed last night seemed endless.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

i think at first things will take a bit of time. as people get used to it i’m sure the process will speed up. personally i think there should be a time limit. if it gets to a minute and its inconclusive, then the original decision stands and you move on.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Chucky McChuckface
                      Participant

Maybe there were some longer “Big Brothers” moments in the second half, but I really didn’t think there was any sort of hold-up in the first half with them…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

The Fabregas penalty incident took ages but as Paxton says we will get used to it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

I guess that was the 2nd half?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Hightown hope

Jim…you’re right of course, I wouldn’t be happy in that scenario you put forward, but hasn’t that always been the case? The dodgy decision might go in our favour, and because of that we get in the top 4. Swings and roundabouts, and as I said in my earlier post, we need something to moan about both in the pub, on TV and on here. For me, it’s more important that the game keeps flowing. This game has survived 150 odd years without it and it’s done OK.

I know, having said all that, that it is inevitable it will be introduced, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. I suppose I can just moan about VAR now!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Manthistle
                              Participant

Hightown hope
                                This game has survived 150 odd years without it and it’s done OK.

The game also survived without goal line technology but look at the difference that has made without slowing the game down. At the end of the day, if it clears up decisions and reduces human error without slowing the game down I’m all for it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Big Jim
                                Participant

Hightown, I understand your concerns but I am all in favour of it. I also agree with Paxtons point about a time limit. Also look at the revelation/ admission by the Romanian ref over his awful decision in the WC play off that knocked out NI. Also remember Henry’s handball against ROI? Terrible decisions that cost many people their dreams! These things should not happen and they are not balanced out imo.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Big Jim.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Hightown hope

And another point that makes me feel it shouldn’t be introduced is that the technology has resulted in, for the first time, there being a difference between the elite game and the Sunday morning pub matches Football is basically a very simple game and the rules and implementation of those rules or laws have been the responsibility of the match officials, be it at an international, a Champions League match, a League 2 match or at the Three Crowns v Red Lion in Division 7 of the Oldham West league. That won’t be the case anymore.

As I say I have concerns that I’ll be sat at Anfield for 2 minutes wondering what the f*** is going on, like in last night’s game when the crowd were shouting for the corner to be taken while Atkinson was waiting for the VAR results from an incident 2 minutes before. Even Martin Tyler on Sky didn’t know what was happening! It will have to improve and if does then great, I’d have no problem with it

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Hightown hope

And Mark…goal line technology is fine. As you say it doesn’t slow the game down but even more crucially everyone in the stadium knows that the ball is near, on or over the line, so they understand what is being looked at. And the result is definitive, and not just somebody’s opinion.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Hightown hope

Am I in a minority of one who is anti it?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Pagan
                                        Participant

Here’s another negative for it, last night VAR stopped Chelsea from taking a quick corner, instead it let Arsenal regroup and set up to defend it, it will in effect slow the game down….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Pagan
                                          Participant

HH, no your not, I don’t like it, I like the way that teams feeling hard done to by what they feel is a wrong decision, get the adrenaline flowing and up their game, I like the debate afterwards, I don’t really want a sterile game….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.