Home Community General Football Stuff to do to stop you going nuts….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

3 days of “home office” with the family and I’m already climbing the walls….

Netflix… already had it, but recently watched “You” (sort of Dexter-ish!) but pretty decent, and “The Punisher” which is bascially Batman with out the gadgets (or money for that matter). Neither are “Breaking Bad” quality, but you could do a lot worse.

Books… as somebody already mentioned, try a book or two. Personally, I love anything by Iain Banks, Joe Abercrombie is #1 for “Game of Thrones” style romps with swords and things, or maybe even some Terry Prattcheet to just lighten the mood. (Maybe try “Good Omens”… book or show!)

Was thinking about signing up to the http://www.masterclass.com website, anybody else tried it? Looks like it could be quite interesting…

All other suggestions welcome!

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      steveosnakeeye
      Participant

Love Joe Abercrombie, read them all including the latest one, such a great author
        i have many book suggestions as its my thing and of that ilk
        mark lawrence is another good one
        glenn cook

many more if people need, all of that ilk

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Working through Joe’s last effort right now…

Have you tried the “Gentelmen Bastards” Series by Scott Lynch? Think Robin Hood meets Game of Thrones, very enjoyable reads… there’s 3 so far with more to come…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          steveosnakeeye
          Participant

i have indeed, loved them, this is my genre so i have a few hundred
            Joes new one was good but not as good as previous as i dont like it being brought into a “modern” era, but the writing style is very good

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Shiney
            Participant

Chucky, if you have Netflix and Amazon Prime have you watched, “Icarus”, “The Irishman “(very long but do it in one hit) “Chernobyl”, “The Looming Tower”, “Don’t fxxx with cats”, “The Hunters,” “Woodstock 3 days that defined a generation”,and lastly “Bad Boys “all really good if you get the time.
              For reading try, “The Revenge of Gaia” a very scary book telling how Earth will survive in one form or another, but will we ?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

Addicted to Dean Koontz books,what a genius! If anybody likes medical drama but US style,try The Resident-absolutely amazing.DARK-is a German series on Netflix that works around time travel,brilliant series too.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Problem I have wiff “foreign” stuff on Netflix, is over here all the sodding subtitles are in Finnish!! Bastards!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Can recommend the Irishman in one hit and Woodstock on Netflix there’s a good F1 fly on the wall documentary series on there too.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    maverick1973
                    Participant

Absentia is an brilliant series,it really sounds,looks, and feels very boring in the beggining,but its gets really exciting as you go on.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

Maverick, I love Dean Koontz also. I found ‘False Memories’ to be really good. Iain M. Banks is fantastic if you like Sci-Fi. His Culture Series books are excellent. A Use of Weapons is probably my favourite but Player of Games is really good also.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

I love analysis books of battles, just finished Battle of the Bulge, really fascinating some of the actual detail, Neville Shute was always a favourite from my school days.. Far Country, etc
                          Being ex RAF I have a lot of books on aircraft and air battles as well keeps me occupied
                          I do find it hard to actually learn anything from books now, probably the age thing, because I am trying to figure out lots of music problems I have, without success, so I just try and solve my own way. Google helps with video lessons

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

“Player of Games” is an excellent introduction to the “Culture”, and “Use of Weapons” has a superb little twist in it that I really didn’t see coming, but “Against A Dark Background” and “Surface Detail” are my two favourites…

I thought “Irishman” was just too long, decent, but just too long…

Going to see if I’ve got that DARK thing on Netflix (and if I can get proper subtitties…)

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            threeps
                            Participant

Brian, what were you in the RAF and when? I spent 10 years in it working on the Torando GR1/4, leaving in 2008. I’m guessing your service predates that somewhat!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

Brian, I can recommend “D Day the Soldiers Story by Giles Milton” It won Book of the Year and it gives you the sheer scale of the D Day landings how difficult and terrible it was and covers the heroics of the many as well as a German perspective of it all it’s not a novel but an historic account of what happened but it’s a very easy read.

Like you I tinker around with a musical instrument my weapon of choice is the Guitar and as you say the internet is wonderful I was learning to play “Hey Joe” last night from a video tutorial on there. Stay safe my friend.Cheers 9’s

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

threes…long before the Tornado was a glint in her mothers eye…the Meteor I was a Rigger…or Airframe mechanic….I was in for 3 years and worked mostly on Avro Anson MK12/19/21 and Havards. YES..driven by props although I did some training on Meteors. The Anson a mixture of cloth and metal airframe so had to be handy with needle and cotton!!!!! (Not mentioned that to my wife) Loved my life in the RAF and cried when I came out. Loved the Anson as well, most underrated aircraft in the RAF history maybe because it was Jack of all trades

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

Chucky why would you mention the twist! hahah OMG

I’ve read Against a Dark Background but can’t remember it. Don’t tell me, I may read it again. I don’t think I’ve got Surface Detail.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    steveosnakeeye
                                    Participant

Brian (and others) i can recommend “first Light” by Geoffrey Wellum, RAF pilot in second world war, one of the very first, just an amazing true story, the great man himself only died last year, one of the fist ever spitfire pilots and ended up in Malta and the battle there, highly recommend that

another good book series (trilogy) this one should suit all types think its been made in to some tv series but as ever the books are really good….”The Passage”……

a virus from the jungle….the twist, vampiric……end of days thing but so very well written and done, again highly recomened and when i say a vampire thing thats the least of it so dont let that pre judge your mind

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

Nine..thanks for that recommendation, always good to read the opposite view as well, although the Battle of the Bulge does that well. It also highlighted the complete disdain for Montgomery by the Americans, rightly so, because he claimed to the Press he won the battle..Churchill rebuked him in Parliament..he should have gone and counted the American graves then

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Steve..yes have read that “First light” good read

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

Nine…I have some wonderful Guitars on my keyboard, I do not use them much, occasional solo part or backing for a Bossa

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.