Home Community General Football Southgate brave or foolish?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

The latest England squad to face Germany and Brazil had some interesting inclusions and some interesting omissions too.

First the inclusions:

Tammy Abraham is an interesting choice personally having seen quite a bit of Tammy in the foesh last season I think he’s got a great chance of making it at Chelsea because of his attitude allied to his football ability but I wonder if this might be just a tad early for him and I wonder whether Southgate’s decision might have something to do with the tug of war for Abraham’s services with Nigeria.

Gomez looks very comfortable on the ball but still looks a bit shaky defensively to me he’s been selected as a Centre back in place of Smalling but is going between full back and Centre Back at Liverpool. From an England perspective it would be good to see Gomez holding down a regular centre back role at Liverpool.

Rubens Loftus Cheek looked to have the world at his feet coming through the Academy and then breaking into the Chelsea first team but he’s had a questionable attitude and lost his way under both Mourinho and Conte. He needed a season long loan and to play regularly in the PL to find himself he’s been putting in some good performances at Palace but his selection still surprised me. Long way to go for RLC but if he gets his head right he’s got bags of potential and this selection should give him a real boost.

Now the exclusions:

I was surprised to see Smalling lose out imo he’s a better defender than Gomez but I understand where Southgate is coming from as Gomez is much more comfortable on the ball.

Sturridge has been going backwards ever since Suarez left Liverpool and his injuries haven’t helped him neither has Klopp not trusting him and not selecting him to start so no surprise that he’s lost his place. Personally I would still take Sturridge to Russia as I still think despite losing his pace he has an eye for a goal and could put in some good cameos if and when needed. Sturridge needs to leave Liverpool this summer to get back to playing regularly in the PL but I doubt he will have too many top club options.

Oxlade Chamberlain I think is unfortunate to lose his place to RLC but currently he’s just replaced being a sub at Arsenal to being a sub at Liverpool and seemingly it’s cost him an England squad place without he becomes a regular starter at Liverpool which seems unlikely and he has a good run of form.

Overall though some brave decisions imo by Southgate and I like the way he is beginning to shape the England squad to the way he wants. Two tough games coming up and should we lose one or both I hope the press don’t look to undermine what he’s trying to do.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Big Jim
      Participant

Nine has Tammy Abrahams had many first team appearances for Chelsea? Chamberlain omission doesn’t surprise me as he hasn’t been able to secure a first team place at Liverpool.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Jim, just a couple of cameos from the bench for Tammy in the PL for Chelsea.

I agree on Ox and with Southgate if you’re not playing regularly for your team you won’t play for England.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

its not even that ox isn’t playing regularly. when he does play, he plays badly! good decision to leave him out. maybe will be a kick up the ass for him. think its a good squad overall. he’s picked players based on the system rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Ox has actually doing ok for Liverpool when he has come in as sub. Played well in last two games he’s started aswell

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Sean, Ox was OK yesterday but only played because of injuries and currently when everybody is fit Ox doesn’t start for Liverpool and I think Southgate is right when he said if you don’t regularly play for your club side how can you play for England?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Editor
                Keymaster

I quite like Southgate’s choices. It makes a refreshing change. It’ll be interesting to see how these players get on anyway. Abraham is an interesting prospect and it will be good to see him get a game.

Like you 9,I’d be taking Sturridge next year. There’s no denying he’s not the player he was 2/3 years ago but he still shows flashes of brilliance. For me, I’d put him on a par with Kane as a goal threat when he’s on form.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Chucky McChuckface
                  Participant

Was Rooney in it?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Big Jim
                    Participant

Mixed views on Sturridge for me. Bit like Wilshire not fit enough for long enough to earn his place.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Brian blue
                      Participant

The choice of Jones over Smalling though is baffling. I am ok with trying new younger faces but it is still early days yet for Russia selection

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Nike19
                        Participant

Agree with your overall summary 999. Sturridge is still off pace to what we are used to seeing and you’re right to point out he’s never been ‘that’ player he was when Suarez was alongside him.

I don’t think the Ox is quite there too.

I know it’s Germany, but managers in the past have often been criticized for not taking risks in unleashing different players or the more younger up and coming players.

It’s a friendly, but as long as we give a good account for ourselves and even if we lose, be able to take positives and learn from any mistakes made.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

You’re spot on nb.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.