Home Community General Football Silly Season

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 496 total)
  • Author
    Adlab
    Participant

It has begun!
      Liverpool’s Egypt forward Mohamed Salah, 29, would prefer to join a Premier League rival next summer if no new deal to stay at the Reds is agreed. (The Athletic – subscription required)
      Juventus are confident they have agreed a deal to bring back Pogba, 29, when the France midfielder’s Manchester United contract expires this summer (90min)
      Manchester City remain keen on England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 26, but Leeds United are still hopeful of keeping the player after avoiding relegation. (Sun)

Real Madrid want Borussia Dortmund’s England midfielder Jude Bellingham

Man City emerge as Mohamed Salah transfer option as Mason Mount battle begins

And so much more

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

As you say….Silly season.. You can imagine , somebody sat at a desk or WFH, thinking….I have to make a headline up

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Adlab
        Participant

According to the press we are selling Sterling, Ake, Zinchenko, Jesus and Laporte. Possibly Gundogan too.
          Well that’s at least ยฃ150m if not more.

Coming in? Who knows. I can’t see Pep agreeing unless there are top class replacements.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Mikus LFC
          Participant

Be a bulldozer job at Old Trafford. Doubt theyโ€™ll get much from their outgoings. Been reported Pogba will leave with a loyalty bonus ๐Ÿ˜†

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Salah wants more money. City can give him whatever he wants. If they want Salah they get him for free next season and double his wages. Hes just another player , no club alligence so he would have no problem going.

All about the money for mo.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

You’re not wrong re Utd’s outgoings Mikus. Worth noting though that, while we won’t get much in the way of transfer fees, we’re wiping loads off our wage bill. Here’s just an example of the players confirmed to be leaving already. There will be more high earners leaving too.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Brian blue
                Participant

Sean…as good as Salah is, I do not think City would move for him, even if they could. Salah will be at Liverpool next season.I think what is going on is to get a good contact for 2/3 years that’s all. Our priorities are a midfielder and LB. If Sterling goes I think Palmer will be moved up and if Gungdogan goes same for McAtee those two lads are as ready as Foden was in my opinion

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  sean the sailor
                  Participant

Pogba had absolutely ripped the piss out of utd. Terrible signing and a complete waste of money and talent . He should be ashamed of himself. Pathetic and walks away laughing at the club

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Brian blue
                    Participant

Sean…the other reason I say that is because UEFA have just announced new financial rules to curb top clubs (What they mean is British clubs) because rules will not apply to BM, RM, Barca etc

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

Brian, if Salah wants to stay in the pl then only club he could really go to is city. They can pay him crazy wages.

Iโ€™m sure they would find a place for him mate. Unless he goes to Newcastle as his main interest is money.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

Sean….UEFA are playing right into the hands of another break away effort, you can see it coming

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          sean the sailor
                          Participant

Sorry. Brian not being disrespectful mate but none of the top club gets hit. City broke the rules and nothing happened.

Barca and real sll bailed without any financial repercussions. Money talks. Not having a go but itโ€™s money and power thatโ€™s get these clubs out of these situations. Fffp was an absolute load of crap.

UEFA and FIFAโ€™s are as corrupt as they come. All about mo ye fir everything. Absolutely scandalous that the World Cup is being held in Qatar in the winter. Money and corruption

Game is ruined.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Editor
                            Keymaster

Don’t disagree re Pogba Sean. Delighted we haven’t renewed him. So much talent but never did it for more than a few games at a time.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              sean the sailor
                              Participant

Thatโ€™s the frustrating part as a utd fan Ed mate.

Clearly a top class player in there.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

It’s probably best to allow time and nature take it’s course. For me, my gut incline is ever since the Mo Salah uncertainty was out in public domain, his high standards had dropped. Interestingly in the Fantasy Football, he was still the Top of the Pile and I believe one with the most points.

The only most recent stand-out was his contribution V Leeds and his assist to Mane in the Semi-Final of the FA Cup.

Unfortunately with the digital age we live in (although that’s solely not to blame), we’re just not good at retaining ‘client confidentiality’. Every other detail is leaked out – “The Exclusive”. For me ultimately, everything should be about the Club not one player, so what ever will be will be.

One ultra positive is that we secured our Messiah’s services for longer, so he’ll be sticking around for a little longer. Perhaps long-enough to start the ball rolling in planting new seeds and rebuilding for a new phase.

We’ve been blessed with Sadio Mane and Thank You and Good Luck. The Bottom Line is that every player will inevitably reach their shelf-life. There’s a rare breed and cloth of humans who will sign on the dotted line without even a second glance and won’t even think in asking for an extra raise in their salary because they’ve probably recognized that this is a good as it will get.

A potentially intriguing timeline I believe. A few other clubs out there experiencing their own similar challenges. Maybe next season, the Gulf could lessen.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Adlab
                                  Participant

Nike. You are so right. Our greats have moved on. Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Yaya , Dzeko, Zabaleta just to name a few. The obvious trick is to get replacements in before it’s too late and to limit the departures to a manageable level. A one in one out approach to try to maintain continuity of the team to ensure the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

The huge difference between Liverpool and city adlab is, your players moved on as they were surplus to requirements and replaced with big money buys

Our best players want out as they want more money. We wonโ€™t pay them so thatโ€™s on us. Who is next to leave us over money mate?

We canโ€™t expect to compete when we wonโ€™t pay workd class players what thru are worth but I can see it from the clubโ€™s perspective aswell. We donโ€™t have money other clubs have

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Mikus LFC
                                      Participant

Thing is though Sean, many of the players we bought were not world class when we bought them. You don’t have to fill your team with world class players, it’s ultimately about how well and effectively they adopt the manager’s instructions and how hard and well they work collectively, which is why the *manager* is always the most important figure at the club and you see how other teams try to blow money with lesser managers in charge to try and compensate and it’s often disastrous.

I would actually argue our front 3 *unit* of Firmino, Salah & Mane were world class but individually, I’m not sure all of them were. For me our world class players are Trent, Alisson, Van Dijk, and Salah. So I think you only need so many such players to become a world class side. You can be like City and spend fortunes on every position but I don’t actually think it’s necessary and I think you hit a limit of how much difference it makes to the overall effectiveness of the team. So for me it’s not so much money where we lack vs City, it’s philosophy in attack where Pep keeps getting one over us – I think we need more selfless players in the box.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Sean…there has always been a money issue since the year dit. I remember Arsenal spending ยฃ10K on a player, forget who it was for but it caused such an outcry. Its the scale now and more teams can pay. Money is never going to go away no matter how you try and restrict it, it will somehow find a way. If it was taken from the British game, clearly what UEFA want, I believe it could well happen but the options of a breakaway comes in, which none of us want but will happen. The American ownership is up to 6 clubs now I think and they are going to have a big say. As “local” fans we will not have much of a say, we can protest but the machinery will move on. All depressing stuff but change is coming like it or not

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Editor
                                          Keymaster

Mikus, I think you’re spot on re the players being great as a unit but not necessarily individually. Klopp created something similar at Dortmund where players like Kagawa, Pizcek, Goetze, Sahin, Kuba (forget the spelling) and Mkhitaryan etc. All may not have directly played under Klopp but they were all great players in that system he created and have since failed to really recreate that as individuals elsewhere. Klopp is unique in being able to make a team which is greater than the sum of its parts. The few players you mention as world class I agree with and they’d be great anywhere. I’m not convinced even Salah would be as good anywhere else.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 496 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.