Home Community General Football Respect!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    srd79
    Participant

Just saw in the news that Danish club FC Copenhagen cancelled their annual training camp in Dubai because of massive fan protests based on the fact that human rights are violated in Dubai.

I’ve never been a fan of Copenhagen, but this makes me respect them. I say well done fans and club. No societies, governments or countries are flawless, but all things are not equally good. And I’m happy to learn that Copenhagen will spend their money elsewhere. Hopefully something like this will help get rid of the nonsense that politics and sports are not or should not be connected.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by srd79.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      srd79
      Participant

Just read a bit more on the topic. Apparently Copenhagen will have to go there this time, as they are under contract to do so. But they have released a statement saying they’ll not be going to Dubai in the future.

Would have been nice if they decided to say screw the contract, but they didn’t. Still massive respect to the Copenhagen fans for speaking up against human rights violating countries and better than nothing that the club will stay away in the future.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

Weren`t they allowed bacon?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Brian blue
          Participant

It is wise to get all of the story first and whatever the reason, good or bad nations will trade and individuals will buy products from those countries. Careful not to live in a house with glass walls

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            srd79
            Participant

Mav, that’s a good question.. I guess they’d have to bring your own and don’t flash it around too much.

Brian, my first post is pretty accurate in terms of what was said in the news. My second post was made after I read further myself. I agree with your point about houses with glass walls. I do however think that it’s very likeable for a fanbase to actually express an opinion on something other than ticket prices. I really do. I have no doubt that FC Copenhagen would have continued for years to follow had nothing been said. They’ll go this winter, and then no more. Because they listened to their fans. The club’s motive may very well be that they don’t want fans to stop buying merchandise, tickets etc, but the result and the story remain the same. A fanbase protested against their club going to a human rights violating state and the club decided to listen. I like that. I like when individuals, organizations, clubs, companies and what have you decide that some things are better than others and act on it. You can’t always hide behind “if not me/us then someone else would do it” and stuff like that.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Didn’t the Ed ask us all previously to try and steer clear of politics? And aren’t United currently in Dubai too for warm weather training?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                maverick1973
                Participant

United indeed are in Dubai,27.Should have been sent to Croydon instead,lazy bastards.But this has nothing to do with politics,just them Danish baconmunchers moaning cos they weren`t allowed to smuggle bacon into the country,Viking sods!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  srd79
                  Participant

999, so it’s not okay to post about a big club (regionally, anyway) when it’s something that was specifically in the news? United may be in Dubai right now. They should take notes from what Copenhagen did. It would reflect well on the club.

I see no harm in posting this. I think it’s something that fans everywhere should think about.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by srd79.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

I don’t think there’s much wrong with the Viking Baconmuncher highlighting an instance where fan power has prevailed over the actions of a club, as a club with real fans isn’t really a club, is it?

I don’t think he’s put the point across in an argumentative manner either.

I do think placing a blanket ban on certain topics could also be considered the start of a very, very long walk to the types of oppressive regimes that FCK fans are against.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

No big deal just confirming that it was the Ed’s wish that he prefered that we all try and stick to football and try to keep away from politics if possible that’s all cyber chums. Peace and love. 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        maverick1973
                        Participant

Why couldn`t they go to sexy,gorgeous,stunning,sweet,fabulous Australia instead? Just wondering.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          maverick1973
                          Participant

27-We should all get together,go round Ed`s house and throw sugar and Brussels sprouts @ him.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            maverick1973
                            Participant

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/top-100-per-valore-di-mercato-mbappe-in-testa-insigne-il-primo-italiano

Hahaha! Sterling ahead of Messi,Lukaku ahead of CR7 & Hazard!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              srd79
                              Participant

999, mate, we’re all grown men, and I’m sure that we all, the ed included, have No problem with debating something like this. And it is a forum. And in this case football and politis are now firmly connected. We shouldn’t ignore it. Quite frankly I’m happy to see a club that makes millions each year have an opinion on something real.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                srd79
                                Participant

Clubs are major influencers. IMO opinion it is great that a club makes a stand and have an opinion on something like human rights and actually follow up with more than just words. Regimes like the ones in Dubai, Saudi Arabia, The Emirates, Iran, North Korea etc have medieval views on humanity. They are despotic. It’s great that a fanbase and a club say no to supporting something like that directly and/or indirectly.

The South African apartheid regime broke down partly because of pressure from the outside. Fine by me if the same happens to all dictatorships around the world.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Chucky McChuckface
                                  Participant

Psssttt… Dubai is the Emirates… 🙂

There are shitty regimes all over the world, not just the Middle East, and in one way or another, we’re all complacent in there existence. Will FCK’s action be the start of something? Hopefully… but I doubt it. It’s just a drop in the ocean.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    srd79
                                    Participant

Thanks for the lesson in geography! Much needed, as it turns out! 😀

Perhaps it’s only a drop in the ocean, but you have to start somewhere. Who knows?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Chucky McChuckface
                                      Participant

Very true… grain of sands on a beach and all that…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

I honestly think people should be cautious whenever they get behind these typical political agenda pieces. It’s safe to say that we’re all against what happened. In no way am I making any kind of remark on the actual incident at hand but more that this horrible murder and things like it happen all time in this world but people were given extreme exposure to it, due to political interest and operations.

Don’t doubt for one second that if the powers that be wanted to quietly do business with the Saudi’s that isn’t exactly what would have happened here regardless of whether this man was murdered or not. The audio/video was captured by Turkish intelligence I think, A NATO member. If you think they would piss off their allies over someone’s death, you’re naive or you haven’t yet sat back and had a think about it because you’re too outraged by the incident. Understandable and honestly, naivety is too because it can be hard to take yourself out of your own “small” life and think on such a large scale where people like you simply do not matter. They say that it takes a psychopath to lead millions just so they can not have their judgment clouded. I actually don’t agree with that because it’s a manner of scope, for me. However, it would certainly help to getting you to that position in the first place.

You might look at Saudi Arabia are a regime that needs to be toppled and be correct in some way but it’s the NATO that’s going around doing the damage. They’ve put leaders in around the world and they remove them too, to suit them, not the people. it’s the people that suffer. Not us in the west. There’s another matter of scope right there. We’re empathic as people but when we lose that kind of touching distance, we don’t feel empathy as strongly. there are other factors where the media is an entire new rant but I can’t be arsed right now.

Personally I think the key to anything like this is objectivity. To put aside what might be good for you and yours and to think, is this right. So much is said about how crime has gotten smarter over the years but also, rule over people has really moved on. Even before FB, I feel that we were kinda helpless, as people just trying to make our way through the world, unable or unwilling to commit ourselves to becoming informed on a reasonable level.

It’s like it’s getting harder and harder really. I think our last hope with our current laws went with the revelations behind the brexit movement and trump election. I cant help but think that we’re pretty powerless against such wielding of data.

What started off as a rant then went onto be much more relaxed but potentially utterly depressing all the same. Yay

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

That was deep Micky…

Turkey are in fact the 2nd largest “power” in NATO after the good old US and have been a member since 1955.

No country in perfect (except maybe New Zealand!), but certain countries are a lot worse than others, that’s for sure. Like I said on a previous post, none of us are innocent and all of us are complacent in some form. But then again, like the Viking Baconmuncher said, saying something is better than saying nothing.

But then again the phrase “one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter” springs to mind.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.