Home Community General Football Phil Neville

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Big Jim
    Participant

I am sure most people must of heard the discussion over Phil Neville’s historic tweets. To be they seemed to be said in a jokey fashion but were not that funny. Clearly some people have found them offensive. However I can’t help thinking they have overshadowed a possible bigger issue. How did Phil Neville who has no coaching experience at all get to manage a national team. Ok its just the womens team, and not the highest profile of jobs, but it’s still a national side and very important. Surely their must have been a more experienced and suitable candidate ? Or am I missing something. Jim

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

He has coaching experience. It’s managerial experience he lacks. He was assistant to Moyes and then coached at Valencia.

Apparently no-one wanted the job, so left it open for someone from outside the woman’s game.

Apparently the bigger clubs offer a higher salary than the FA.

Money, money, money!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

Alfie – I can’t believe no-one better qualified than Neville wanted the job

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

When you look at Giggs getting the Wales job ahead of Bellamy and Hartson, it’s not as strange as it seems!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Hightown hope

Have Bellamy and Hartson got their qualifications and/or experience?

My issue with it all is that Neville got the job because of his name, not his ability to do the job. I’m told his knowledge of women’s football is negligible at best. Ideally the job should have gone to a woman, an English woman, and if there wasn’t a suitable candidate (and I do believe that a number of suitable women have recently got top profile club roles) then go for a candidate who is working currently and not just pontificating on TV. There must be better qualified coaches in both the women’s and men’s game who would have loved the opportunity to coach the national team.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Big Jim
              Participant

Fair enoigh Alfie, I had forgotten that he did some coaching at United. Wasn’t aware of any coaching at Valencia. The money thing is a strange one. I am surprised tgat the FA are not paying good money to fill the role. Especially in these times of equality in pay.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

It’s just what I saw yesterday. Apparently the bigger women’s football teams pay more for their managers than the England role.

The FA will not pay the women’s manager the same as the men’s manager. Maybe much later on, but it needs to be self funded (from within the women’s game).

A bit like the top women’s team won’t pay their players the same as the men get.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

There’s a bit here about it:

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Whoops:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42690427

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

There’s far too much political correctness and something said probably 10 years for example could be back-tracked.

It’s stupid. Having said that, if that’s how Phil Neville deep inside feels about Women then why is he working with them?

On the same token, one is entitled to an opinion and values, but that shouldn’t really prohibit him from working. All he has to do is make that clear in the dressing room right from the start and state he is essentially here to do a job.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Nike19.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

In fairness Nil, it all started with a ‘morning gentleman, great day for cricket’ tweet. People got upset that he thought women may not enjoy cricket.

It went downhill from there! But what followed (something like ‘apologies I thought the women would be busy with breakfast and getting the kids to school, morning women too’) did seem an obvious joke.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

Alfie, yeah saw that tweet. Some people are just reading too much into it.

A large degree of humour seems to have been lost in our society. Every other word is nit-picked and not interpreted or perceived in the way it should.

Nobody can have a laugh or an opinion any longer without being completely lambasted or taken to task extensively.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

so when i heard he got the job i was slightly confused. then i saw his previous tweets and was even more confused. however, i then read the letter the FA sent to Kick It Out and it does make sense. they went through an extensive process to hire the right person for the job – doesnt matter if they are men or women. they couldnt find the right person and neville was an after thought. the problem now is the FA have decided laugh off his tweets, which i am sure were said in a jokey way, but now they have made it very difficult to charge people for what they say on social media or in the public. they just have to say it was a joke.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Pagan
                              Participant

I’m sure that with his coaching ability and his experience within the game, he’ll soon get the women’s team to an equal ranking as the men’s England team…..Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Hightown hope

Very good, Pagan…I like it!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  maverick1973
                                  Participant

Should have given the job to Giggs instead,would have shagged them all,probably their boyfriends/husbands too,lol.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

For allegedly just circa £120k per anum considering Neville won’t be short of a few bob he must be asking himself now is it worth it?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

I just find it hard to believe no other candidates came out of this. Neville may well do a good job, he is inheriting a very good team but questions marks will remain, not just on Neville but the FA as well and we all know how pathetic they are

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Chelsea.man
                                        Participant

Personally i believe we should judge him his behavior after he was handed the job, the past is behind us. give the man his chance. a lot of said something we may regret at some point in our lives.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Pagan
                                          Participant

Girls/Ladies football like girls/ladies Cricket is going through a massive growth in participation levels and quality. Is Neville the right choice, time will tell, but what it has done is raise the female game profile even higher, which hopefully will help it’s continuing growth.

One of the big differences between girls and boys football at younger ages is, girls that play at football do because they want to, boys who do play because their dads want them to…. Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.