Home Community General Football Nations League games.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

Big win for Wales over Ireland with 17 year old Ethan Ampadu selected to start for Wales having a good game.

The battle of the Champions with Germany v France ended in an unlikely 0-0.

England now rated 6th in the World take on Spain on Friday now rated 9th. With Scotland 40th in the World and Captained by Andy Robertson ( surely one of the most improved players in the PL) taking on Belgium ranked 2nd be in the World.

But roll on the return of the PL.?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Adlab
      Participant

Im not sure I really understand the purpose and format of this competition?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Me neither Adlab.?

Seemingly it’s meant to be an elevation from just friendly games to competitive gamex?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

its a load of bollocks. a way to glorify friendlies. think the idea is kind of the same as FFP. its a way to give the bigger teams more of a chance to qualify for tournaments. guarantee them a playoff place in case they fuck up group qualification.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

Interesting that nobody really knows how this works…

They way I understand it, is you have 4 “BIG” Leagues based on rankings rather than “out of a hat”, which are then divided into 4 “MINI” Leagues (so 16 in total). The winners of each “MINI” league in each “BIG” League then have a “MINI” Knock-out tourny, with the winners of each mini tourny being declared winners of each “BIG” league and automatically qualifying for the Euros…

Then we have the “PROPER” qualifying for the Euros and now I get confused because everybody including the 4 already qualified go back into the hat… πŸ™‚

If a team already qualified finishes in a “qualified” spot, then that spot goes to the next team in the “PROPER” qualifying group etc… with the then next best 16 teams qualified via the “PROPER” qualifying joining the 4 “ALREADY QUALIFIED FROM LAST YEARS TOURNY”, with the next best 8 teams going into another “PROPER QUALIFYING MINI LEAGUE KNOCKOUT TOURNY” with 4 new winners before the “REALLY PROPER WHO WAS THAT SHITE THEY COULDN’T EVEN QUALIFY MAJOR TOURNY” which consists of 24 teams who between them have actually qulaified 32 times!…. I think…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

chucky – as far as i’m aware there are no automatic qualifiers for the euros from this. but winners are guaranteed a place in the playoffs. if they then qualify through their qualification group, their playoff place goes to someone else.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Did say “I think…” πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

So this is a separate and different tournament from the actual Euros?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

This video may (or may not!) help explain things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3pWjave3A

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

No interest

Ireland were terrible last night

Ampadu was excellent.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Adlab
                        Participant

Ah so thats it???
                          Nope still not sure chaps!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

“Michael O’Neill has been showing an official UEFA video to his Northern Ireland players to try and explain the new Nations League format.

O’Neill’s side kick off their campaign against Bosnia at Windsor Park on Saturday in a League B group that also includes Austria.

The convoluted new competition will see Northern Ireland trying to win promotion to the next tier so they can face some of Europe’s top teams, as well as improving their chances of qualifying for Euro 2020 through an alternative route if required.

Michael O’Neill admits his side had to watch a video to understand the UEFA Nations League

‘We have gone through it in a fair amount of detail,’ said O’Neill. ‘UEFA have a nice little video which explains it and the players have seen that.

‘You just have to take it for what it is and use this competition on its own merits.’ Northern Ireland captain Steven Davis admits the video has helped him and his teammates to understand the new format.

‘I’ve finally got my head around it,’ said Davis. ‘When it first came out, there was a lot of confusion around it. But the video explains it quite well.

‘I wouldn’t sit here and try to explain it you, but if you want me to forward the video I can do that!’ Daily Mail 8/09. ???

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

It is in fact 2 different competitions. One is this Euro nations which replaces meaningless friendlies to almost meaningless competitive games. Then there is the normal every 4 years European championships which every nation still needs to play games to qualify except for the 4 winners of each section in group A of this current nation’s competition. Not very well thought out at all.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Editor
                              Keymaster

Haha. Haven’t really grasped it myself either yet. Looking forward to seeing how we fare against Spain, though. We’re favourites which shows how much progress we’ve made and how much Spain have declined but they’re still a top side who I think we will struggle against.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

We still do not have a decent playmaker, until we have one any progress will still be an illusion

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Brian, you’re right Foden could be the answer but he still can’t get starts for City and until he does Southgate won’t pick him.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    maverick1973
                                    Participant

Anybody knows the idea behind this stupid tournament? Did Chucky come up with the idea?Lol

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Mikus LFC
                                      Participant

I know it’s only a friendly, but it really irks me that tonight’s game is only on sky and hence pay per view. England games should never be pay per view, particularly given how little live football is left on terrestrial TV.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Chucky McChuckface
                                        Participant

It’s on my TV… and it was my dogs idea… he was licking his balls at the time… and why is Ramos getting booed all the time? Not the bloody Salah thing is it?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

Well, 2-1 to the Paella boys seems about right. England looked far too slow most of the time, side-to-side, and only looked decent (and scored a goal) when they went a little bit more direct (the goal was actually pretty decent!).

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 98 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.