Home Community Non-Football Music

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Brian blue
    Participant

Trying to start a MUSIC discussion, player or non player…this is the most appropriate forum from what I can see. may help to keep the forum flowing in these non football days and I have exhausted all my speculation possibilities.

So my first question is

How many play instruments on here, can you give us an idea what you play and do you gig?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Brian, as you know I try and play Guitar.?

Never gigged and doubt I ever will.

I have played privately with other Guitarists though.

Very broad musical tastes Rock, Pop , Blues and Country plus a bit of Jazz. Needless to say I’m attracted to all the great Guitarists. Cheers 9’s

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Brian blue
        Participant

I never gig either, Idid once though when I was in the RAF I was practising in deserted room, Shearing type music, when a bunch of ladies came in, I think they were Salvation Army ladies but not in uniform, however, they asked me not to leave, listened to a couple of numbers then asked me to play some Hymns for them….welll, I am not sure how Shearings Chords went with a dodgy piano and playing Hymns but I got through 20 minute…that is the only time I have gigged and said to myself..”never again”

The modern arranger keyboards are fantastic, you can build full orchestras on them or just play solo in just about every instrument you can think of. My problem is having two keyboards with entirely different OS, that in itself is a big challenge but I have taken on the challenge
          I am a big fan of film scores and music from 30/40/50s when all the great writers and composers did so many wonderful songs, most of the standards are timeless and as the saying goes “they do not write them like that anymore” Jazz, I definitely like and some latin styles.
          The only thing I play as a Guitar solo is Cavatina and the Girl from Ipenema but I have great backing for those numbers as well. I do like to hear a Guitar well played though. I had a dear friend who actually made them and some leading classical guitarist made visits to his workshop endgame him high praise. Funny thing was , he could not play or read music but made wonderful guitars, his workshop was wonderful to visit

There is no finess with modern music which is designed mostly for females that can hold top note longest and loudest and every song becomes the same

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

I don’t read music Brian in fact I hated Music lessons at School. I’m not sure too many Guitarists read music Guitar playing is driven by tabulation and the chords. It’s a case of mastering that and then moving your finger quickly enough and then getting the timing and strumming attend right.

It’s a tough instrument to learn specially if you didn’t start playing when you were young when you have the best muscle memory. I didn’t start playing until I hit my 50’s but it’s given me hours of fun trying and when you get a riff right it’s a bit like hitting a great tee shot on the 18th hole of a Championship Course or Chipping in off the green.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

I’ve a huge move of Manchester bands

Massive stone roses fan and have seen them live so many times. Saw them in the ethiad 4 years ago

Big oasis, happy Monday, the verve and charlatans fan. Was a teen in the 90s during the britpop era

Really don’t understand how kids like the music today ?

It’s shocking

No real rock and roll bands around

Saw Coldplay live and they put on a great show

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

“Really don’t understand how kids like the music today ?

It’s shocking”

Very true Sean but I remember my Mum saying that about me listened to the Beatles too.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

…some great bands you’ve sound checked there Sean.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Chucky McChuckface
                  Participant

More in the Grunge/Alternative scene in the nineties myself, you name ’em and I probably saw ’em, felt like I was going to a concert just about every week between about 92 and 99…

We used to think all those “Britpoppers” were pussies… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Pagan
                    Participant

Chuckles, grunge signalled the start of the end of rock musics mass popularity, it was massive from 79 to 89, but the bands became too big for themselves. Saw Nirvana at Trent Polytechnic in 90, was told they were going to be made into the next big thing, to be honest if I’d paid to get in I’d have asked for my money back.

I was very fortunate to be the right age for the classic bands, the NWOBHM and what followed, spent a fortune on records, gigs and T-shirts, the bands I wish I’d seen, The Who with Keith Moon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marc Bolan and The Sex Pistols (although I did see them when they reformed)….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

I’ve seen lots of the greats Bowie, Queen, The Who, Clapton, Tina Turner, The Stones, Diana Ross, The Carpenters, John Denver etc etc etc love Nirvana and the Foo Fighters.

Re the Who one of my big buddies was their original drummer from school when they started up he stayed big mates with John Entwhistle up to his death and remains mates with Pete Townshend.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

Sorry guys, a bit alien to me. I know some of them, the real musicians in them but the I guess I am being a bit “sniffy” about these things. I was brought up on Big bands and Jazz trios and quartets and being player influences that I guess, but times change so the music changes with it. I do think it is amazing though that arranger keyboards can produce full blown orchestras, Big Bands and good R&B CW styles as well It would not do for us to be all the same that would not create any meaningful progress There are a few that have gone between era’s as well, James last, Bert Kampfert and a few others but John Wilson is best of all because he does the full film scores to the dot

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Luckydestiny
                          Participant

Anyone have any new albums to recommend? could do with some new music.

Spent last few months with Gigaton by Pearl jam released just before lockdown. Loved it so much I took up dancing and I have never been much of a mover. Check out my first public show just before covid restrictions came in below if you want

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Blaze
                              Blocked

Ken Hensley probably the greatest rock keyboard musician ever died today, sad the way they all seem to be going suddenly.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Blaze
                                Blocked

Ah Uriah Heep never forgot my dad saying there will never be another band like them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Pagan
                                  Participant

I’d put him in the same bracket as Paul Raymond, more than just keyboard players, guitarists and song writers, and sadly both died this year….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Blaze
                                    Blocked

Jon Lord probably as well

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

I once went to a Uriah Heep, Deep Purple concert not that long ago, I think everyone there was smokimg weed, you got high just on the smell of it but I must admit that was super great music. Left a real impression on me.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

Playing and composing music is a great help in these dark days on Corona-19. makes me forget about the whole thing and keeps the brain ticking over. I would recommend for anyone to find an instrument to suit them and start playing, fear nothing, do not worry about mistakes just enjoy doing it

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

25 Years in What’s The Story Morning Glory.

One of The Best Albums I’ve ever owned

The Song itself πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.