Home Community General Football Mølby pretty sure Liverpool will beat City in the CL

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    srd79
    Participant

Jan Mølby spoke about the upcoming clash between Liverpool and City in the CL. In his opinion it’ll be between two teams who both love to play an open game with lots of possession. He’s sure Liverpool will get to play their own game and will have enough to get through. Not that he’s biased or anything like that!

A thing Mølby thought was an advantage for Liverpool is that they play at home first. His thoughts were that Liverpool are usually vulnerable when they have to chase a result which in his opinion would be the likely scenario had the first game been at the sheik’s stadium.

A thing that might count against Liverpool could be that between the two CL games Liverpool have to play Everton in a game in which they need a result in the race for top 4. City have to play United (hope they lose, of course. City that is). In reality City could play their B- squad and just wait a round to secure the title. Bottom line: Liverpool are harder pressed in this period.

I think he has some good points. I see what he means when he says Liverpool are vulnerable chasing a result. Liverpool’s defence isn’t exactly Fort Knox, is it?
      That being said Liverpool going forward are probably the best in England on their day. They are certainly capable of getting a result a home, but City at home are deadly as well.

All things considered City have to be favourites – but only just. Thoughts?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

City are just too good to not be favourites, even when you take our qualities and ability to play against City into mind.

Interestingly enough, I don’t think we’re so bad at chasing games, as we are in seeing games out. Our last match against City is a really good game to discuss when looking forward to this tie. There are a number of things that Klopp’s brand of football has instilled in Liverpool, so there are things that we kind of expect to see and certain patterns form.

The two most widely spoken about patterns are the devastating attacking play and the leaky/weak defence but there is something else and that is that we can be 3 up and if the opposition scores, it is game on. We went 4-1 up against city on 67 mins in the last game but it wasn’t enough. We lost momentum, City refused to give up and we ended up escaping with a 4-3 win when it should have been comfortable.

So, with City being a team who absolutely refuse to give up and Liverpool being one who takes their foot off the gas or loses composure etc , I think we are given something to think about with regards to how this with transfer from a 90 minutes match to a 2 legged tie. My point being that no matter how comfortable we might make things at Anfield, it’s just not over.

One thing that goes in our favour is that our defence is improving as the season goes on. It goes without saying just how good we’re going to need our defence to be against them. When looking at trying to predict how this tie will turn out, it might help to consider one thing. . . Both teams have the capability to beat the living crap out of the other if they are on form. We could see a completely one-sided result but try and guess who will inflict it.

Personally I give City a better chance of doing that to us, than us to them. A friend of mine said that the overall result is 60:40 in City’s favour and that sounds about right to me.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Srd, I agree City favourites just. I think Molby is wrong I think the second leg at the Etihad gives City an advantage.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          srd79
          Participant

Mak, I agree City have to be favourites, but that has to be down to the keeper and defence. I think City are just better in those areas. Going forward I think Liverpool are just as good as City, and with Salah being the most in- form player in the league (he probably has been the entire season) I also agree both teams have the ability to beat the crap out of each other. 60-40 or 55-45 City does seem right to me as well.

999, I see Mølby’s point, but logically and historically speaking, having the last leg at home is usually an advantage. In any case it’ll be two good games, I’m sure. As a neutral I’ll just lean back and enjoy the show. But if I have to choose, I’ll be hoping for Liverpool to go through.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Anonymous

SRD… Loved PISSG getting dumped out of the Cl. Looking forward to pep the slap heads excuses when Liverpool Turn them over. Or so im hoping… Just want to see how City double down on spending to try and buy the competition next year. Probably form a link up with PISSG and loan them Cavani and Brazilian one foot wonder.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              srd79
              Participant

442, I have to admit I never bought any PSG or City shirts either! 😀

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Big Jim
                Participant

442, you clearly are not aware that City got 400m dollar investment just over 2 years ago from a Chinese corporation. Completley unrelated to Shiek Mansour. I suspect this has paid for much of the squad overhaul the past two seasons. Cheers Jim.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

Big Jim…. Chinese money is as moody as Qatari money my friend, not sure why you’re defending two countries wealth being ploughed into your football club… Anyhow, Dont even get me started on our very own Putin Stooge Roman Abramovich… Will be interesting to see what happens to him in the event of sanctions… You might gather im not really a fan of new money in football. It’s killed the game.

Dont be so touchy….

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Big Jim
                    Participant

I’m not being touchy at all and I’m not defending Chinese money as I don’t have to. They are free to spend it as they want as far as I am aware. Unless you know different. If your Putin’s friend you stay alive it would seem and Abramovich knows which side his bread is buttered. I doubt very much if he will be kicked out of the UK as his money is no doubt all clean on paper like many other wealthy individuals. But best stay off politics and Religion.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Good post Jim though according to CFG the Chinese investment is not funding transfers see below:

“The monies generated will be used by CFG to “fund its China growth, further CFG international business expansion opportunities and further develop CFG infrastructure assets”. City added: “China-based initiatives” are already being examined for potential investment.”

I don’t have a problem with what anyone spends being a Chelsea fan it would be hypocritical to do so and I presume City are meeting UEFA’s FFP rules too.

Chelsea haven’t spent any of Abramovich’s money on transfers for quite a while and the only things RA can personally invest in now is infrastructure so he could fund the cost of building the new ground but I’m not sure it’s currently planned that way. Because of the above Abramovich moving on now wouldn’t have a massive impact on Chelsea if it were to happen. Personally I think it most unlikely that Abramovich will leave Chelsea without it were to be politically forced upon him.

Going forwards I think the FFP2 proposal of limiting all clubs transfer expenditure to 100m.Euros net makes a lot of sense.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

I have my own opinions, the pundits have there’s and get paid for it so I take little notice they ever talk sense. As to money in football, particularly from overseas, I remember when Fooftball was ruled by UK Chairmen who took everything OUT of the club and put nothing IN, Appaling conditions for fans. I just wonder if the people complaing had the same funding as the ones who have it would still complain? It is all relative to the whole of the leagues anyhow. Wigan beating City had nothing to do with money but 22 players on the pitch, the same can be said in lots of other scenario’s as well.Expectancy is an illusion without uncertainties football would not be worth watching

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          srd79
                          Participant

Money is too big factor in football today. I’m a fan of Manchester United and I have no problem admitting we are as bad as The Oil Firm when it comes to money. We are actually worse than Chelsea these days. The fees paid for Pogba and Sanchez are just insane. Same with wages.
                            It puts me off that any club can be bought and then go from 1 to 100 with next to no effort. It does make things harder for the clubs not lucky enough to have rich owners. It basically makes football less interesting.
                            Will we ever see clubs like Red Star Belgrade or Steaua Bucarest win the CL again? What’s the chance that anyone will do a Leicester again? Chances are slim.
                            The underdogs will win a game here and there, but no way it boils down to 22 men on the pitch any more.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Brian, “Wigan beating City had nothing to do with money but 22 players on the pitch,”

More to do with only 21 players on the pitch. Thankfully for everyone else!?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

I’d be a tad hacked off with this if I was a Man City fan, but this is just coming from 1 former Liverpool pro, and he’s given his reasons, although, I don’t really see playing the first leg as an extra advantage.

We have known to be complacent and squander leads and being in winning positions.

City genuinely have an array of talented players and that is an understatement when you consider the ‘veterans’ in there. They have Winners medals and they have a Manager who has won trophies.

The best case scenario from an LFC perspective is to ensure we get a foothold with a positive result and minimal away goals conceded – ideally a clean sheet altogether. At the Ethiad, we’d have to really knuckle down and perform immaculately.

Away from home against the top teams we’ve not delivered as far as the league goes, and I do feel besides our front 3, we don’t have a game-changer like City that can come on as a sub.

It’ll be down to how much metal one team has over another, and the mental state of it too.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                sean the sailor
                                Participant

City clear Favourites for me and 2Nd leg is at home is huge. City are much better then us st the back. The tie could be over at Anfield if we don’t defend right

Silva was missing at Anfield and do was vvd who after a shakey start looks a very good prospect. We do need at least one other centre back

As I’ve saud before, if city win, I hope they lift the cup

Fantastic side to watch.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

This is a reflection of the problems of having pundits commenting on games and situations where their club loyalties outweigh everything else.

I would like to see no Liverpool and City related pundits in the studio’s discussing this forthcoming tie.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

Carragher won’t be there in anyway nine mate lol

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Big Jim
                                      Participant

Who cares what Molby says. He is entitled to his opinion. The issue I have with pundits is that there are far too many liverpool pundits and most are all biased like most pundits. But when there is too many of them they can cause problems. Their ridiculous hysteria which resulted in a media witch hunt and blatant biased reporting when Sterling left Liverpool to join City was frankly embarrassing. It undoubtedly resulted in thick fans of many clubs now booing him whenever he plays even for England or City.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Big Jim
                                        Participant

Nine just interested as to why was it important for you personally to counter my investment statement? Its money into the club so it frees up money to go elsewhere. Regardless of how you look at it. Jim

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

I think a little too much has been read into Molby’s opinion. Whilst it’s encouraging, it naturally causes a stir against opposing opinions, so ones who are excited and optimistic somehow feel forced to reign it in.

I refer to my earlier reply of thoughts and have all the admiration and respect in the world for city.

But it’s something I’d like my team to go for and relish this challenge. Whatever is said in and around the media, shouldn’t really cause any psychological impact.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 94 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.