Home Community General Football Jordan Henderson wins the FWA- Do you Agree?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea.man
    Participant

I was reading from the press today that Henderson has won the FWA ahead KDB. I don’t know how they came to such conclusion to crown Henderson ahead of KDB? I still can’t come to terms with that decision. I would have understood if they have selected Mane at least because he was a key force that driver Liverpool to title this season with the number of late match winners he has scored. but Henderson? come on that was rigged blatantly!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Chelseaman, if I had the chance of signing both players but could only sign one it would be KDB because he is technically imo a much better player than Henderson and very close to being the best player in Europe currently imo.

But to be fair to Henderson he’s developed a lot as a player, has turned into a fine Captain and has Captained Liverpool to both the CL and the PL in consecutive seasons.

I was impressed with what he said after hearing he had been named Player of the Year as he was very humble and talked about it belonging to the team and to many who have helped him along the way.

But selecting a Player of the Season will always be a beauty contest some prefer blondes and some prefer brunettes and you’ll never get a consensus and then there’s Club loyalties.?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

Mane,Salah,VVD,Robertson-take your pick.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Hightown hope

Sorry posted this in reply to Adlab on different thread!…

No, there probably isnโ€™t, Adlab, but you know as well as I do that the Football Writers Award doesnโ€™t necessarily go to the best footballer. It covers a huge wide range of attributes, including influence on the rest of the team, leadership skills, how much they have improved, whether they have contributed to the team actually winning anything, as well of course whether they have had an outstanding season, which by any measure, Henderson has.
            KDB is a wonderful footballer and would walk in to any team in the world, bar none, but in the first 4 attributes I have listed above, has he outperformed Henderson? I would say no.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Brian blue
            Participant

Football Writers….says it all to me, probably never played the game and write only what sells a headline and they think they know all about football. Fans on this forum make more sense than they do

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              sean the sailor
              Participant

Glad to see him doing well. So many people doubted him But heโ€™s a Liverpool
                Legend now And an inspirational captain

Mane or kdb player of the year for me but just so happy to see Henderson doing so well

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Thanks, Double B, glad somebody appreciates all the effort I put in here. Hard work sometimes, mind you, especially dealing with ‘The Buffy & Goosey Show’ but worth it in the end.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  maverick1973
                  Participant

Brian-I keep saying that Fellaini was and remains the best football player to have ever played football,followed closely by Bebe.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

My opinion is not popular amongst Liverpool fans. I have have really grown to resent these kinds of scenarios because although I feel that I have to give my contrasting opinion, people ALWAYS take what I say up the wrong way.

There is a massive Henderson = God wave that’s been building and just going for about 2 years now. It’s a result of a wave of negativity towards him from Liverpool fans, in previous and slightly overlapping times.

I have very little time for bias. That isn’t to say that I’m not biased, I am and so is everyone else but I absolutely loathe it, as a philosophical construct (for use of a better word). Bias has a power over us, when it comes to more important things like politics, beliefs, equality (racial/sex) and it is usually in a wave form. Compensation turns into over-compensation, always and that is what has happened with Henderson.

HH, I love your opinions/comments but I have to say that it’s my opinion that you over-value henderson. My statement here is not that I don’t value him. I acknowledge he’s grown as a player and a leader over the past few years and he had a very good season for us. Previously I had rated Henderson as a squad player. Now his importance tot he side has drastically increased, so when I say that you over-value him… don’t think that i still have this old opinion of him.

Now, again in my opinion, there are several Liverpool players who were more worthy of this award than Hendo. Van Dijk and Mane were the outstanding players for us this season. I think we’ve grown to take them for granted BIG TIME. Salah gets absolutely fuck all credit from so many fans, not looking at anyone here… I have even caught myself taking Salah for granted. I’ve talked about selling him (granted that was entirely based around the ages of players and not performances but still…).

Van Dijk
                      Mane
                      Salah
                      Trent
                      Robertson
                      Firmino (lesser extent in terms of performance but in terms of NEED)
                      Allison

These players are all more worthy/valuable to the team than Henderson. That list used to be essentially the entire first team. You know how highly I rate Wijnaldum right? Well, I would now put Hendo up along side him, hence he’s not on that list.

But HH, I just have to interject and say with absolutely no malice when you read these words, only smiles … but yer absolutely mad if you think Hendo should get this award before KDB ๐Ÿ˜›

Look, it’s all opinions right. Mine is that this bigging up of Hendo’s incredible leadership is way over-blown. Our team is full of experienced players, with leadership coming out their arses. If Hendo wasn’t English, this whole thing wouldnt exist. If KDB were English, we’d all be deaf right now.

Now, I will go back to appreciating Hendo, I just refuse to get onboard this wave.

I think the award should have gone to Van Dijk, Mane or KDB. I can’t think of anyone else off the top of head. Nobody else came close really.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

You’ve missed out Kepa Mak.?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        threeps
                        Participant

Love it that Hendo won 100% deserved. Love it that it winds so many people up too. Not going to get into why I think he deserves it, think Hendo debates have been done to death now.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Brian blue
                          Participant

Mak..well you are right about one thing, if KDB had come from London he would have won it by a country mile. maybe if he had played for Arsenal as well. However, in a way, I feelsorry for Henderson because other than the writers most will not see it that way. I also think Henderson is a first class footballer and good Club man, but far from being a world class player. Like I said before the Forum fans are better judges than the Football Writers in my opinion

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

This award doesn’t say the best player in the PL it says Footballer of the Year as voted for by the Football Writers and it’s s often awarded to a player who is not necessarily the best player in the PL over a season and it’s the Football Writers opinion .

Liverpool have had a fantastic season and if you look at the stats Liverpool don’t perform as well without Henderson as they do with Henderson, Henderson himself has suggested it’s also an award for the team and I think he spoke very well.

I think Liverpool fans aside everyone should give Henderson a break he’s lead his side to an unbelievable season put in some tremendous displays and has proved himself an inspirational Captain.

I think Hightown summed it up pretty much perfectly in his earlier post .

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

The Last I came across this was particular award and in essence, paying attention was when John Barnes was Awarded back in 1988 and 1990.

Jordan Henderson: Fully Deserved.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Mikus LFC
                                Participant

As I said on another thread, if Henderson played in a more exposed position like CB, I donโ€™t think heโ€™d have lasted at a top club. But in midfield we can get away with it. Look, heโ€™s the consummate professional, heโ€™s all over the pitch, and we do undoubtedly miss him when injured, more than Fabinho in my opinion. So for me heโ€™s more a tactical, off the ball player than a talented player, who plays an important role in the Klopp setup. So you can see why he divides opinion so much. And personally one canโ€™t not acknowledge the journey heโ€™s been on from nearly being disposed of by the club to being the captain of this side.

But as important a role Henderson may play in the side, I just canโ€™t put such things as hard work and commitment on the same level as other criteria like talent, goals scored, trickery, assists, etc because they are simply more difficult to do. Also players like Wijnaldum play arguably just as important a role and carry out a similar task.

I think KDB has been the best player in the league this season and he personally would have got my vote. He nearly always plays the right intelligent ball in pressure situations. And he is hugely talented.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Oz Yob
                                  Participant

Gday all, hope everyone is doing well, as much as Hendo has proven to be very important for LFC I find this award somewhat generous, but as Hendo himself said itโ€™s more of a team award than an individual one.
                                    As much as I dislike man city if KDB isnโ€™t the best & at least one of the most influential players in the EPL Iโ€™m not an Oz Yob.
                                    Anyhow great to see a Liverpool captain finally lift the EPL trophy & so chuffed for the club, city and of course all the fans. Just a pity we canโ€™t see the massive parade i envisaged when I dreamt of the title coming to Anfield.
                                    Stay safe all, take care.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Hightown hope

I think with the exception of 999 you’ve all misunderstood my post. I’m not saying Hendo is the best player in the Prem. Far from it…there are probably 40 or 50 players in the league I’d rather watch than Hendo, but the game is not all about a 30 yard screamer or a beat 4 man dribble. This award is all about everything I said in my first post…leadership, trophies, improvement etc. I know KDB is a better footballer than Hendo, and so is Mane, VVD, Silva, and many others, but have they had as much influence on their team as Hendo? Personally I think not and I agree with the writers…sorry Brian…you might think they’re all idiots, but only cos they disagree with you?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

He 100% deserved it. The award takes in to Consideration off field actions as much as on field actions. Not only was he hugely influential on Liverpoolโ€™s title win but the work he did off the pitch was huge, essentially setting up a new charity funded by footballers during the pandemic. He has been a role model to everyone. I think the other runners would be KDB but solely based on on field actions, and rashford for off field. Henderson however had both.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Hightown hope

Thank you Pax! Someone understands the award! It’s not for the best footballer in the country otherwise it would have gone to KDB or VVD or Mane etc!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          nine nine nine

Good points Paxton.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.